Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please ban exmit

Exmit

Scholar
My loyals fans, Jaesun and Crispy strike back !

You two need to get a room and suck your own dicks.

Sry, Big Black Cock only.

...No, wait, that's Jaesun's line.

Exmit

Scholar
f2ccb_crybaby.jpg

Murk

Arcane
slap konjad's name back up there in the thread title

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
He most definitely has.

This kind of spamming shouldn't even need a poll, it should result in an outright ban.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Grunker said:
Darth Roxor said:
Grunker said:
I'd have nothing but respect for his taste in games if he didn't hail Risen as the second coming.

Second coming? Of the Gothic series, maybe, and nothing else.

Not my fault that you're butthurt about Gothic in general (and, therefore, you suck :smug: )

Not about Gothic, just Risen. And I do admit that I'm butthurt to extreme proportions about that game. It's just the one game that I think sucks so deep, it hurts me every time the Codex with its otherwise fine tastes give it praise.

Everytime someone praises it, I get a little stab of that "Oh, now I know how Skyway feels"-feeling.
Explain your position, because i've never played it and was planning to.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Grunker said:
Cassidy said:
Grunker said:
I think DA:O and ME2 are LEAGUES better than Risen

:retarded:

Seriously, go back to Gamefaqs or Bioware Social Forums please.

NO U!!!11!!!:

Since your main enjoyment seems to be a game with a rule-system almost as shallow ME2's, less legitimacy in the story-department and FAR, FAR less interesting characters.

Der_Unbekannte said:
Grunker said:
Sceptic said:
Grunker said:
It's just the one game that I think sucks so deep, it hurts me every time the Codex with its otherwise fine tastes give it praise.
So you're perfectly fine with all the praise that the 'dex gives to DAO, ME2 and fuck even MW2, but you get butthurt because a handful of people praised Risen? :?

Fuck you, I'm not gonna have that debat AGAIN. I've debated it at length with Roxor, Mikayel and Phelot. If you're really that curious I guess I could find you a link. But yes, in essence I think DA:O and ME2 are LEAGUES better than Risen - and it's not because I find DA:O or ME2 to be shimmering jewels if you get my meaning.

I would be greatly interested in these arguments. So post the link please.

Okay, let me try...

Shit, because of the Codex's shit search engine I can't find them, so let me instead give a summary of the arguments here:

1) If you're a combat-kindda-guy, and you get enjoyment out of Risen, I'm puzzled. The rules-system is extremely shallow, and extremely horrible.

2) Killing stuff is about as interesting as playing a mini-game in ME2, at least in the first chapters. Enemies operate on sequence, so if you click the right sequence, you win. There's three different kinds of enemies: Those where that's easy, are all to easy. Those where that's hard are just annoying. Then there are the group fights, which require some measure of strategy.

3) The story is, I'm sure you'll agree, banal-shit-boring.

4) The characters are more flat than cardboard-cutouts. They have odd reasoning, and the writing made me cringe MORE than with DA's. DA's was just plan bad, but Risen's writing almost weren't there. It was almost always descriptive, and every character is characterized by arbitrary stuff such as "this is the guy who swears" or "this is the policeman-kindda guy." There are no differences between them otherwise, and those few with motivations are almost never delved into.

5) Tying in the class-selection with story is a trip to stupid-land. I understand the reasoning behind it, but the problem is:

When characters and story are banal-shit-boring, I'm left with only the combat to play this game for. The story-choice becomes irrelevant, and tying it in with the plot is a nuisance. It's only effect is making me choose story-line and alligiance based on which class I can play - not the other way around as was the intention.

6) The amount of stupid, uninteresting, yet sometimes HOUR-LONG FedEx-quests were jaw-dropping. Whenever someone praises Risen, I think back to my time solving the murder, sweeping rooms or any of the other quests involving just running the round doing nothing. And I think to myself: "What. The. Fuck."

7) Probably the most important one: I have a personal dislike towards games such as Daggerfall, Gothic and so on. "Hiking-simulators" as they are sometimes called. Often I find they have a shit rules- and combat-system, and shitty story and characters. To make up for this they have a "huge world" and exploration - but that's got nothing to do with being an RPG. This is a personal dislike, and I would never claim it held any merit in a discussion, but in Risen these exact faults are displayed so excessively it makes me want to scream. Risen's single, only, reedeeming feature is a nice jungle to explore.

Yeah, I guess. To bad the rest of the game-mechanics suck so bad any will I'd have to delve into the exploration is entirely slain.

Ok i read it. Impossible to tell without playing. But personally, i think you come out as a "storyfag".

Exmit

Scholar
I know Jaesun you'd love to suck my cock , but i ain't into that. sorry

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
@SCO: Except point 4, 5 and somewhat 7, all my criticisms are about gameplay.

Actually, I am a storyfag push comes to shove, but my criticism of Risen isn't tied to that, since I knew it would be shit when I went into it. I enjoyed the hell out of Knights of the Chalice and Temple of Elemental Evil, and am currently enjoying Wizardry 8, so your strawman needs a little work ;)

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
You ever go to a party that starts to turn kinda shitty? You know, where pretty much all the girls have left and most of the booze is gone, and there's nothing else to do than to get pissed off and start breaking things and drinking whatever's left in all the leftover cups?

Well, that's this thread.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
You guys do know there's an ignore function?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom