Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random 0kb HTML download?

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Since the site redesign, I frequently get a download of a randomly named 0kb HTML file (e.g. V3bEFZXh.htm) when accessing the forums. Anyone else seeing this?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since the site redesign, I frequently get a download of a randomly named 0kb HTML file (e.g. V3bEFZXh.htm) when accessing the forums. Anyone else seeing this?
There's a thread about these downloads happening even before the redesign. I've been getting it before and after.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I thought it was just me. Happens too when I access home page:
o5RO1f9.png

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Throughout most of the site redesign this was not happening, it was only when the site redesign was finalised (2-3 weeks ago?) that this started happening again. I have a feeling there is something in the code which is setting metadata somewhere and Firefox is interpreting this and downloading a file.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I thought it was just me. Happens too when I access home page:
o5RO1f9.png
Where does it want you to download the file from? Is there a specific url this occurs with, or that the file is coming from?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm really not sure on how to get the url information. It just gives an about:blank when I try to copy download link and past it in address bar. I tried to see if I could get more details about the file, but all I get is this:
sL6KJ0l.png

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Where does it want you to download the file from? Is there a specific url this occurs with, or that the file is coming from?

From the front page click on "Forum" and it will open the forums and download an empty file with a funny name.

Look at the dates:
1RnBK9m.png

Sometimes it happens more than three times.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Yep, it's not "downloading" anything. The browser just triggers the creation of a new, empty file with random name.

Doesn't seem to be exclusive to the Codex (although, xf1 codex and xf2 codex are the only places I personally ever observed to have this issue).

Peachcurl

Cipher
One interesting tidbit I found on reddit (yeah, sorry, it is what it is):

It seems to be caused when resources (iframes (maybe more elements)) are still loading when clicking to another page.

Not sure how to check for this, but at least it rings true in the sense that quickly switching from Home to Forum is a surefire way to reproduce it. If I wait to load the Home page first, the file usually is not created.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
getting a little tired of having to clean my downloads folder of 800 0 kb .html files like every two days. is there a way to fix this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom