Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rank all BioWare games

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
finished DA:O Awakening and besides not being able to romance the big titted elf (or dwarf) it was not bad. Having your stronghold and upgrading it was cool, though the linear maps and scavenger hunt quests wore me out towards the end. My party was level 34 and I was easily killing high dragons, together with the cool gear made it really feel like a party of demi gods.

I'm going to finish golems and replay witch hunt again because I did that before awakening and couldn't import my save, then import that save into DA2. or maybe I can skip witch hunt? Is it going to be acknowledged in DA2 at all?
Yeah, I liked DA:O Awakening too.
That Sentinel Armor is really awesome-looking.
Pretty good overall.

Falksi

Arcane
finished DA:O Awakening and besides not being able to romance the big titted elf (or dwarf) it was not bad. Having your stronghold and upgrading it was cool, though the linear maps and scavenger hunt quests wore me out towards the end. My party was level 34 and I was easily killing high dragons, together with the cool gear made it really feel like a party of demi gods.

I'm going to finish golems and replay witch hunt again because I did that before awakening and couldn't import my save, then import that save into DA2. or maybe I can skip witch hunt? Is it going to be acknowledged in DA2 at all?
It was bitter-sweet for me. On one hand I really liked the fact that they recognized the Warrior class needed some AoE abilities to be fun to play, and the overall package was a nice addition for sure. On the other hand, the lazy half-arsed fetch-quests which appeared in smatterings in Origins had clearly started to become Bioware's focus, and it almost felt as if this was a tester to see how far they could push said lazy design and still get away with it.

Shaki

Arbiter
None of that has happened in the books yet, or may not happen.
As of the end of book 5 Sansa is still in the vale pretending to be a bastard. Arya has only just gotten to braavos. I guess Daenerys is sort of 'girlboss with dragons' but not really in the retarded way they had it happen in the show, and she has significantly less power/control then she did in the show. Also her younger brother who they scrubbed from the show will likely beat her to the punch.

Normally I wouldn't even bother replying but that's a lot of autism and misinformation.
No more books will ever come out, so the TV show written based on what GRRM told producers was going to happen, is the only canon version of the story you'll ever have, and everything that will ever be done with this IP, will be based on it.
why are you so retarded? is your mother also your sister?
Sooner or later y'all will move on from denial stage, for now you can keep hating me for telling you the painful truth.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Both the books and the tv series have been severely overrated from the start anyway.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Great = Is this a joke?
Good = BG2
Not-Completely-Worthless-but-Close = BG1
Crap = NWN*, DA:O
Even-Worse-Crap = KOTOR*
Haven-Played-Long-Enough-to-Tell (probably in E-W-C category) = everything else

*base game, can't tell about the rest
*unless big SW fan then Crap

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Why someone (Camel) would rate my post above "
Participation Award
"? Your rating is
Participation Award
. Those are what i am thinking about those games for real. The only one i really enjoyed was BG2 but it's still a RTWP + cringe + banal fantasy = not great but good. KotoR IS one of the most boring CRPG i ever played, sue me. BG1 was a lot less boring but still boring. Base game of NWN and the whole engine -IS- crap. Perhaps mods/modules are better, I wouldn't know. The rest i haven't played(much).
And if you are offended by the names of categories, have special ones, only for you: Great - Good - Mediocre - Bad - Very Bad.

9ted6

Educated

Why would you ever want to play any DA game after Origins?

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Why would you ever want to play any DA game after Origins?
There are quite a few people saying they’ve enjoyed DA2. Saying the writing was good and companions are well written.

Decisions you made in Origins are acknowledged in 2 if you import your save, which is interesting.

I’ll start it today and update what I think after I’ve played enough.

I’ve never played a BioWare game after Origins so I’m curious how far they’ve declined with their more recent titles.

I do have a weird taste and am known to like otherwise unpopular games so we’ll see.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
1. Baldur's Gate 1 +Add-Ons (not that important)

Nigga, Durlag's Tower is the best dungeon ever made for any of the IE games. It's a MAJOR addition to the game, unlike that boring werewolf shit that was completely bland and stupid.
I agree.
Last time I completed Baldur's Gate, I skipped the werewolf island entirely.
Fuck that.
Durlag's Tower is awesome though.

N'wah

Literate
07wzjQm.png

S) I'm biased towards Mass Effect (it's my personal favorite), it didn't have S-tier gameplay but the ambience of the setting and story hooked me in (also why I rate Witcher 1 ahead of the others even if the gameplay sucked balls). BG1 or BG2 is a coin flip but I think the more interesting companions and items, harder encounters and high level spellcasting puts it a level above.

A) If BG1 isn't S it's A+. ME2 would've been a fine sequel if it wasn't the middle part of a reaper trilogy. Origins wasn't a world-beater but it was enjoyable enough for its time.

B) Kotor hasn't aged well, but it's one of the better Star Wars adaptations and I still think it's superior to Kotor2.

C) Inquisition and ME3 both abandoned the things that made their worlds special. Inquisition at least looked a lot better than the previous entries. Had Andromeda below ME3 initially but honestly ME3 did so many things wrong it retroactively damaged my enjoyment of the earlier games.

D) ME3 was worse than the previous games in almost every aspect - multiplayer was fun for a bit though, getting to run around and hit things as a Krogan was a novelty.

E) DA2 has no redeemable qualities. What a mess.

catfood

AGAIN
BG2 is good

BG1 is good for what it is

MDK2 is an awful sequel to an amazing game.

NWN is Fun With Mods™®©.

KOTOR is shit cuz it's exactly like NWN but without any mods and customization options.

Haven't played anything else but I know they're all shit.

I'm still surprised this company was allowed to live for this long.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I actually think ME 2 is one of the best game they've ever made, on par with BG2.

However it's a terriable RPG.

Funposter

Arcane
Everyone else did a tiermaker, so I'll just throw in my own two cents. It should be noted that this is graded on an internal Bioware scale, so it's not indicative of how they stack up against other CRPGs. I also didn't play ME:A or DA:I because I have better things to do with my time. I really like the original Mass Effect. DA:O is probably mechanically superior to KOTOR but I still find it to be a uniquely boring and unmemorable game.

NQz6AqN.png

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Everyone else did a tiermaker, so I'll just throw in my own two cents. It should be noted that this is graded on an internal Bioware scale, so it's not indicative of how they stack up against other CRPGs. I also didn't play ME:A or DA:I because I have better things to do with my time. I really like the original Mass Effect. DA:O is probably mechanically superior to KOTOR but I still find it to be a uniquely boring and unmemorable game.

NQz6AqN.png
Shadows of Amn over Baldur's Gate 1?
Interesting.

Falksi

Arcane
07wzjQm.png

S) I'm biased towards Mass Effect (it's my personal favorite), it didn't have S-tier gameplay but the ambience of the setting and story hooked me in (also why I rate Witcher 1 ahead of the others even if the gameplay sucked balls). BG1 or BG2 is a coin flip but I think the more interesting companions and items, harder encounters and high level spellcasting puts it a level above.

A) If BG1 isn't S it's A+. ME2 would've been a fine sequel if it wasn't the middle part of a reaper trilogy. Origins wasn't a world-beater but it was enjoyable enough for its time.

B) Kotor hasn't aged well, but it's one of the better Star Wars adaptations and I still think it's superior to Kotor2.

C) Inquisition and ME3 both abandoned the things that made their worlds special. Inquisition at least looked a lot better than the previous entries. Had Andromeda below ME3 initially but honestly ME3 did so many things wrong it retroactively damaged my enjoyment of the earlier games.

D) ME3 was worse than the previous games in almost every aspect - multiplayer was fun for a bit though, getting to run around and hit things as a Krogan was a novelty.

Even though I've ranked most differently, I agree with a lot of what you say in your write ups on them.

Mass Effect 1 was definite decline, but it's as good as a decline game gets really. And that's simply because of that ambience and story as you mention. As a kid I loved Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday and Starflight (still do now), and Mass Effect definitely gave me some of that space-jock satisfaction which few other games have since those classics.

It's barely an RPG and the sequels flush most of it's goodness down the shitter, but both ME1 & DA:O struck a bearable level of compromise between old & new which I could live with. Had Bioware used that point to then transgress back to more CRPG orientated roots whilst simply maintaining the presentational advances, then it could have remained respectable. Sadly it just went more and more casual, and declined into pure wankness.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
07wzjQm.png

Even though I've ranked most differently, I agree with a lot of what you say in your write ups on them.

Mass Effect 1 was definite decline, but it's as good as a decline game gets really. And that's simply because of that ambience and story as you mention. As a kid I loved Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday and Starflight (still do now), and Mass Effect definitely gave me some of that space-jock satisfaction which few other games have since those classics.

It's barely an RPG and the sequels flush most of it's goodness down the shitter, but both ME1 & DA:O struck a bearable level of compromise between old & new which I could live with. Had Bioware used that point to then transgress back to more CRPG orientated roots whilst simply maintaining the presentational advances, then it could have remained respectable. Sadly it just went more and more casual, and declined into pure wankness.
It's what I thought about DA:O.
It was nothing groundbreaking, it just did its job. Was pretty fun for what it was.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
KotoR IS one of the most boring CRPG i ever played, sue me.
gI4pavZ.gif
"CRPG":lol:
He's not even trying...
I usually write "CRPG", instead of "RPG". Call it a personal quirk. Computer RPG != RPG(pnp). Many people on this forum have problem grasping it. At least in practice if not in theory.
And if you mean that it was a consol(ized) crap then sure but it doesn't make much difference in this case, does it?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
BG2 is definitely worth playing.

Don't really care much about the rest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom