Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Replayability of KOTOR

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
So i've finished Kotor 2 times and am aiming for 3rd replay. How much yet is there to discover with different choices? Maybe even I :goes crazy: will mod it ! :shock:

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Why bother when there's youtube videos that can show you everything and save you the hassle of playing that dogshit.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Inb4 7 times jokes

Dammit!

But yeah there is actually some choices affecting the outcome of the game, despite most of the Codex claiming KOTOR is the embodiment of the decline. You can for example be light sided and have Bastila join you, or dark side and she fights against you or dark side and you turn her as well, etc.

I actually wanted to replay KOTOR 2 with the resoration patch, but unfortunately it doesn't support 16:9 resolutions o_O and for some reason it's VERY slow on my GPU (Radeon HD6870)

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I actually wanted to replay KOTOR 2 with the resoration patch, but unfortunately it doesn't support 16:9 resolutions o_O and for some reason it's VERY slow on my GPU (Radeon HD6870)

There is a widescreen patch for the game,don't know about the perfomance problem though

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

There is a widescreen patch for the game,don't know about the perfomance problem though

Have you got a link? And does it work with the Content Restoration Package?

If I can't get the performance fixed (something to do with ATI drivers not supporting OpenGL properly), I'll just play it on my laptop or something.

Edit: Darth, yes I tried that but the performance issue is still there. Turning Crossfire on or off also has no effect.

DarthBehemoth

Learned
If I can't get the performance fixed (something to do with ATI drivers not supporting OpenGL properly), I'll just play it on my laptop or something.

from the KOTOR 2 Tweak Guide:
Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

Vertex Buffer Objects are an OpenGL method of storing vertex data in video memory. Enabling Vertex Buffer Objects (Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=0) can improve performance in certain situations, however it seems KOTOR 2 has some issues with this method and you should set it =1 if you want to resolve slowdown issues in the game (e.g. on Dantooine). It may also help reduce the incidence of crashes in KOTOR 2. Note that this setting does not exist by default, so you should create it under this section and set it to =1.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

Have you got a link? And does it work with the Content Restoration Package?

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/star-wars-knights-old-republic-ii-sith-lords

I don't remember which of the 2 options I used though,but it worked with the restoration patch

Stokowski

Arcane
Surely three times is once too often for the C&C on offer; which just boils down to light/dark anyway?

(Still, full dark is a fun experience, probably the best KoTOR has to offer.)

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Which doesn't speak too well of the other option, considering dark side path consists mostly of robbing people of their credits and being mean to questgivers.

Deleted member 7219

KOTOR: Once Light Side, once Dark Side. Further replayability after that point depends on how much you enjoyed the game, I really liked it so I replay it every couple of years. Impact of choices on the storyline is minimal, mainly binary LS/DS resolutions of sidequests, but you can kill some of your party members off if you're evil and there's a lot of muahahaha at the end.

KOTOR2: Limitless replayability thanks to MCA's superb writing, although like KOTOR the main storyline is pretty much unalterable.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
A 3rd replay is rather puzzling. You're probably looking to play the "grey" moral path. But that path as far as I recall involves picking and choosing light and dark side solutions to quests in a pattern.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
KOTOR: Once Light Side, once Dark Side. Further replayability after that point depends on how much you enjoyed the game, I really liked it so I replay it every couple of years. Impact of choices on the storyline is minimal, mainly binary LS/DS resolutions of sidequests, but you can kill some of your party members off if you're evil and there's a lot of muahahaha at the end.

I'm thinking there may be some interest in trying to do as many quests as possible after discovering that you're Revan. Extra dialogue choices.

Untermensch

Augur
2 times is more than enough to discover everything in KOTOR 1 and 2.
There is no point in replaying the first one anymore.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
So i've finished Kotor 2 times and am aiming for 3rd replay. How much yet is there to discover with different choices? Maybe even I :goes crazy: will mod it ! :shock:
Although this thread is likely in jest, here are some things I discovered in KotOR when I used to play it as a 13 year old.

It's from a long time ago, so I might remember things wrongly.

1) The Holy Sand People
They are the most dangerous enemies in the game, but they are level scaled. Inversely. If your level is high, you may not find any Holy Sand People. You have to do Tattooine as your first map, and must also be very low level when you enter Tattooine. While they are dangerous even for high level characters, the rewards are worth it as they yield the most XP and drop the best loot possible. There may even be a Holy Sand People quest that opens up special rewards.

2) The Triple Cross
One of the elements missed by many players of the game is the ability to poison both instructors in the Sith academy while making each think you are double crossing the other. The result is that both are weakened and both die quickly in a duel.

3) Yuuzhan Vong scout story
If you look hard enough in the game, you find reports of Mandalorians fighting an early Yuuzan Vong scout force that was checking whether the galaxy was suitable for conquest.

DarthBehemoth

Learned
Although this thread is likely in jest, here are some things I discovered in KotOR when I used to play it as a 13 year old.

It's from a long time ago, so I might remember things wrongly.

1) The Holy Sand People
They are the most dangerous enemies in the game, but they are level scaled. Inversely. If your level is high, you may not find any Holy Sand People. You have to do Tattooine as your first map, and must also be very low level when you enter Tattooine. While they are dangerous even for high level characters, the rewards are worth it as they yield the most XP and drop the best loot possible. There may even be a Holy Sand People quest that opens up special rewards.

2) The Triple Cross
One of the elements missed by many players of the game is the ability to poison both instructors in the Sith academy while making each think you are double crossing the other. The result is that both are weakened and both die quickly in a duel.

3) Yuuzhan Vong scout story
If you look hard enough in the game, you find reports of Mandalorians fighting an early Yuuzan Vong scout force that was checking whether the galaxy was suitable for conquest.

1) the 1st KOTOR doesn't have level scaling so I find this hard to believe

2) Yea Korriban was the best planet with the better (so bad they're good) quests.

3) Yea I believe Canderous tells you about it in one of his many (fairy)tales

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
1) The Holy Sand People
I don't remember this at all and I did that planet first. Apparently it's a random spawn? I thought the (only) hardest fights were against the two groups of Mandalorians.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Was there indication that he was making it all up? It would be pretty cool if Canderous breaks down and admits he was just a footsoldier and just wanted to impress the player character with his gallantry so he/she'd think he was cool.

Of course, I don't think this was the case.

By the way, Roguey and DarthBehemoth, you guys are in for a world of surprise. This is one of the best kept secrets of KotOR: http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/star-wars-kotor-46/dune-sea-problems-spoilers-53139-print.html It's super rare.

Very few KotOR players have ever come across the Holy Sand People.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Was there indication that he was making it all up? It would be pretty cool if Canderous breaks down and admits he was just a footsoldier and just wanted to impress the player character with his gallantry so he/she'd think he was cool.

Of course, I don't think this was the case.

By the way, Roguey and DarthBehemoth, you guys are in for a world of surprise. This is one of the best kept secrets of KotOR: http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/star-wars-kotor-46/dune-sea-problems-spoilers-53139-print.html It's super rare.

Very few KotOR players have ever come across the Holy Sand People.

Considering he became Mandalore in the second one I don't think he was lying.

Not that it matters because TOR probably made him Revans gay lover or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom