Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Replayability of KOTOR

Kz3r0

Arcane
3) Yea I believe Canderous tells you about it in one of his many (fairy)tales
Was there indication that he was making it all up? It would be pretty cool if Canderous breaks down and admits he was just a footsoldier and just wanted to impress the player character with his gallantry so he/she'd think he was cool.

Of course, I don't think this was the case.

By the way, Roguey and DarthBehemoth, you guys are in for a world of surprise. This is one of the best kept secrets of KotOR: http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/star-wars-kotor-46/dune-sea-problems-spoilers-53139-print.html It's super rare.

Very few KotOR players have ever come across the Holy Sand People.
LOL, Wut?
They exist to give you the dressing to enter their camp, you need HK-47 that speak their language too.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I've replayed it a few times, but certainly not with the expectation of discovering many new things. Besides the two alignments, you might have missed a sidequest or two by finishing the main quest of a particular planet first, after which you're not allowed back in. But that can also be fixed on a second playthrough. There are a few quests with several different solutions, if you care. That's about it. Right now, I would have to be extremely bored and out of ideas to play KOTOR ever again.

Uh, is there nothing else you'd like to play? KOTOR for the third time, really? Chances are there are hundreds of great games you haven't even tried, don't let Bioware's rather gameplay-light Star Wars license game take all your gaming time.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Every time I think I might want to go back and play KotOR, I just remind myself of the endless filler combat that most areas consist of. The game is fun 1-2 times through but it has nowhere near the mechanical complexity to really warrant going back to other than to see Carth cry like a baby over his dead son. Even if I've seen all the story stuff I'll replay a game if it's actually enjoyable and there are new things to do, but like most BioWare games, KotOR is a game entirely based on story and has nothing else beyond that.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
3) Yea I believe Canderous tells you about it in one of his many (fairy)tales
Was there indication that he was making it all up? It would be pretty cool if Canderous breaks down and admits he was just a footsoldier and just wanted to impress the player character with his gallantry so he/she'd think he was cool.

Of course, I don't think this was the case.

By the way, Roguey and DarthBehemoth, you guys are in for a world of surprise. This is one of the best kept secrets of KotOR: http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/star-wars-kotor-46/dune-sea-problems-spoilers-53139-print.html It's super rare.

LOL, Wut?
They exist to give you the dressing to enter their camp, you need HK-47 that speak their language too.
Can't you get the clothing from any of the Sand People?

I am speaking of one rare group of Sand People Warriors - the Elite and the Holy. People have played KotOR without having seen those kinds of enemies.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Huh, the GB walkthrough says "During your travels over the Dune Sea, seek out the corpses and rubble for Sand People encounters. Each group will have an "Elite" member who's remains include the Bantha Fodder required for a later quest in the Eastern Dune Sea, and Sand People Clothing, required for a peaceful entrance into the Sand People Territory.
Note for the PC version: each ambush by a Sand People group will include two Elite Warriors and one Holy Warrior (a little more difficult if my observations are correct). In my first game, none of these groups dropped the required Sand People Clothing or Bantha Fodder but rather other random items."

Some sort of bug? I can't even remember what kind of sand people I fought, but I don't remember them being too difficult. Looks like I'll be giving it another go. Sometime in the far future.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
So i've finished Kotor 2 times and am aiming for 3rd replay. How much yet is there to discover with different choices? Maybe even I :goes crazy: will mod it ! :shock:
Although this thread is likely in jest, here are some things I discovered in KotOR when I used to play it as a 13 year old.

It's from a long time ago, so I might remember things wrongly.

1) The Holy Sand People
They are the most dangerous enemies in the game, but they are level scaled. Inversely. If your level is high, you may not find any Holy Sand People. You have to do Tattooine as your first map, and must also be very low level when you enter Tattooine. While they are dangerous even for high level characters, the rewards are worth it as they yield the most XP and drop the best loot possible. There may even be a Holy Sand People quest that opens up special rewards.

2) The Triple Cross
One of the elements missed by many players of the game is the ability to poison both instructors in the Sith academy while making each think you are double crossing the other. The result is that both are weakened and both die quickly in a duel.

3) Yuuzhan Vong scout story
If you look hard enough in the game, you find reports of Mandalorians fighting an early Yuuzan Vong scout force that was checking whether the galaxy was suitable for conquest.
Something many people miss is that if you go to Korriban first (which many people do not since it's the most difficult with the teren'tatek and what not) and redeem that Twi'lek sith instructor (Yuthura Ban), you can meet her again later on Tatooine.

I discovered that on my fifth playthrough. :skyway:

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
So i've finished Kotor 2 times and am aiming for 3rd replay. How much yet is there to discover with different choices? Maybe even I :goes crazy: will mod it ! :shock:
Although this thread is likely in jest, here are some things I discovered in KotOR when I used to play it as a 13 year old.

It's from a long time ago, so I might remember things wrongly.

1) The Holy Sand People
They are the most dangerous enemies in the game, but they are level scaled. Inversely. If your level is high, you may not find any Holy Sand People. You have to do Tattooine as your first map, and must also be very low level when you enter Tattooine. While they are dangerous even for high level characters, the rewards are worth it as they yield the most XP and drop the best loot possible. There may even be a Holy Sand People quest that opens up special rewards.

2) The Triple Cross
One of the elements missed by many players of the game is the ability to poison both instructors in the Sith academy while making each think you are double crossing the other. The result is that both are weakened and both die quickly in a duel.

3) Yuuzhan Vong scout story
If you look hard enough in the game, you find reports of Mandalorians fighting an early Yuuzan Vong scout force that was checking whether the galaxy was suitable for conquest.
Something many people miss is that if you go to Korriban first (which many people do not since it's the most difficult with the teren'tatek and what not) and redeem that Twi'lek sith instructor (Yuthura Ban), you can meet her again later on Tatooine.

I discovered that on my fifth playthrough. :skyway:
You sure? Wookiepedia says she returned to Dantooine.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Finishing KotOR once as dark side is more then enough since being good guy is pretty much completely same experience as in every other Bioware game. Problem is that in their games its always easier to play good then evil, since even if you have to play a quest a somewhat longer the rewards are almost always better. Its like finding a guy who owns money to some mobster and he needs to pay off his debt to save his family, a huge debt of 100 credits, so you go to a barrel/box that is placed few meters away from him, open it and get the money, hell even at start of the game you probably have atleast ten times that cash. So its easy to be good in Bioware games and thats one of the many things that always bothered me. Why not ask all of your cash which would actually sting your wallet, and then find out the guy cheated you. You would get points for being a good guy but would loose you money and be suspicious of the next person who ask you for help even if that person really needs it. I loved a pun in Divine Divinity at exactly this kind of situations, when you get to a major city a dirty kid comes to you and asks a whole lot of money to help his sick mother, when you give it to him, he yells something in line "this guy is a moron and is giving away money" so bunch of kinds come and they start following you around town all of them asking money for their parents, pets or relatives.

Deadeye Dragoon

Scholar
I've only replayed it to see what kewlness different lightsaber crystals lead to. Any game that forces me to trundle through a map with unwanted NPCs is doomed to uselessness replay IMO, even if there's a city further on that might be interesting RPwise. Or maybe that was KOTOR2. Which one had that fucking robot that constantly got in my way and I couldn't simply murder?

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Was KOTOR that memorable? I finished them both, but don't remember anything apart from shitty filler combat and Pazaak.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Still, decline was strong in this game. It felt so small and linear in comparison to FO, BG1, etc.

Deadeye Dragoon

Scholar
Was KOTOR that memorable? I finished them both, but don't remember anything apart from shitty filler combat and Pazaak.

Hah. The funny thing is that the KOTOR Pazaak game is extremely fun and addictive. I actually started up a new game years ago solely to play Pazaak, and now that you reminded me might do so again.

Teepo

Scholar
did you guys hear kraze beat kotor 2 seven times?

what a buttface

oscar

Arcane
Two times is definitely more than enough. Can't see why you'd go for a third. A 'Grey' play-through is impossible and would just involve being cartoonishly evil one quest and a bleeding heart pussy the other.

Though at least the game had the odd fight where you can get your ass kicked (the sand people one, as noted by Wyrmlord, could be pretty tough if you went in at a low level). KotOR II got so ridiculous that you literally couldn't notice the dip in your force points past a certain point as you spam force lightning every round (even if your light sided and the lightsaber-focused class).

Thinking about it, KotOR II really had the easiest and most broken combat of any RPG I've ever played.

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
I actually wanted to replay KOTOR 2 with the resoration patch, but unfortunately it doesn't support 16:9 resolutions o_O and for some reason it's VERY slow on my GPU (Radeon HD6870)

There is a widescreen patch for the game,don't know about the perfomance problem though
That widescreen patch doesn't work for everyone.. no matter what I tried, nothing moved the fucking mini-map/ui bullshit.

Just played it in ass-o-vision with el negro side panels, was better anyway.. less stretch face.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom