Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return To Monkey Island - MI2 sequel from Ron Gilbert

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Meh... If I took it seriously what the authors of my favourite entertainment believe in or what kind of people they are in real life, I wouldn't be able to enjoy at least half of it... As long as they're not complete serial killer psychos, I just don't give a shit.

Often it's actually better just not to know and focus on the work.

Viata

Arcane
While I do agree with this, it becomes a problem when that person is unable to separate his work from his political idea. Something we know the whole woke people can't do.

As long as they're not complete serial killer psychos, I just don't give a shit.
This is also weird since most woke people want the genocide of white people. Thus, that is even worse than serial killer psychos.

Meh... If I took it seriously what the authors of my favourite entertainment believe in or what kind of people they are in real life, I wouldn't be able to enjoy at least half of it... As long as they're not complete serial killer psychos, I just don't give a shit.

That's a very convenient argument, but we no longer live in an age where people did the work for the work. Now everything is submitted to THE MESSAGE, designed by committee and overall unbearable.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but you people are just incredibly - dare I say fabulously - optimistic. How many times do you need to get burned before you realize these cash grabs by have-been developers whose souls were sacrificed at the altar of socjus were never meant to be anything other than subservient, genuflecting purveyors of THE MESSAGE?

Star Citizen

Learned
EMI was great once you get over the clunky controls as well as the 3D art style imo. Comfy vibes, great music, aight puzzles. Not as good as any of the other games in the main franchise but I way preferred it over ToMI, which I also found pretty fun.

Should I play Escape from Monkey Island or Tales of Monkey Island?
Eh. They’re not awful, but they’re definitely skippable. EMI has more of a “Saturday Morning Cartoon” vibe than its predecessors and the controls are awful, but it has some decent moments. Tales is more uneven, but has higher highs and is closer to the originals in tone imo; plays very much like a Monkey Island themed reskin of Telltale’s Sam and Max games, so if you enjoyed those games you’ll probably get some fun from Tales.

Neither is anywhere near the level of the first three though.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Escape had its funny moments and the controls weren't too bad, HOWEVER, there is a sort of fighting minigame that starts popping up in the last 4th of the game that is both unskippable and incredibly annoying, and you have to get really good at it to win the game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Telltale games are too shit with puzzles to even be called adventure games. EMI is flawed as other have mentioned but worth a playthrough.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw, I've just installed the original Amiga version of MI1 because I'm on a nostalgia binge. These are the biggest damn icons I've ever seen in my entire life!

Everything LucasArts did back in the day just screamed quality.

monkey1.jpg

CLICKY CLICK!

monkey2.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin
Telltale games are too shit with puzzles to even be called adventure games. EMI is flawed as other have mentioned but worth a playthrough.

If youre judging by the recent walking dead, batman, borderlands games, I'd agree (those are more like a interactive movie/cartoon/novel with no puzzles at all). But tales of monkey island is totally a classic point and click advenure game (in 3d), like the Sam and Max games that came before. And better than EMI. The bad thing is that they never bothered to unify the chapters in one game. But it's not that bad because all monkey island games are structured in chapters.

But one can criticize telltale games before ToMI, but they would just be judged as bad adventure games, which actually is true also for a lot of 90's point and click adventure games.

Also, Ron got a little involved in Tales development.

Keshik

Arcane

I'd recommend playing Escape, it's the worst of the LucasArts games but isn't a terrible game. I honestly forgot almost everything about Tales, heh, other than the ending which was a bit touching - maybe grab it when it's super cheap, seeing it for $18 CAD right now which is way too much.

Divinity: Original Sin

I'd recommend playing Escape, it's the worst of the LucasArts games but isn't a terrible game. I honestly forgot almost everything about Tales, heh, other than the ending which was a bit touching - maybe grab it when it's super cheap, seeing it for $18 CAD right now which is way too much.

By memory, I can finish monkey 1, 2 and 3 easily as I remember them so much since I played them too many times, and watched my friends playing them. Escape and Tales I played only once. I can remember their plot so I guess I will get stuck in them like it's the first time as I will replay them befor return's release.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
By memory, I can finish monkey 1, 2 and 3 easily as I remember them so much since I played them too many times, and watched my friends playing them. Escape and Tales I played only once. I can remember their plot so I guess I will get stuck in them like it's the first time as I will replay them befor return's release.

Yeah same here, I probably can finish 1 and 2 in my sleep too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom