Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Reviews/Opinions on Path of Exile?

deama

Prophet
So what's the general opinion of Path of Exile?

I kinda like it; though I hate the fact that the devs devote so much time into creating different leagues and PVP. I'd rather have them make a new leveling system, like how they did with ascension, but go further; and then open up act 5 where you go to like some hell or heaven place.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The different leagues aren't that much work anyways. Mostly something for the programmers to do instead of spinning their wheels while the artists try and crank out new skills, monsters, terrain and of course hats. My main gripe with the game is how poorly balanced it is for people with half a brain, and the fact that the devs very clearly cater to the kind of retard that can't be bothered to read tooltips.

Hyperion

Arcane
act 5 where you go to like some hell or heaven place.

I think the inside of the beast at the end of Act 4 was sort of intended to be a bit of a Hell-type area.

You also kinda missed the part where the game was best, and played most like Diablo 2. They're slowly but surely morphing the game into a clone of D3, and it isn't looking good. The game is currently horribly, horribly balanced and they aren't doing much about that. The new leagues used to be AWESOME to participate in, but people have perfected their builds, playstyles, and objectives to the point where they hit endgame maps in about 15 hours of playing. If you don't obsessively play the first day, the main advantages of a fresh economy are not for you. That being said, for some of us starting from scratch can be fun. If it isn't your thing, stick with the standard league.

Helton

Arcane
Play standard until you get bored or want to start a new character. Then wait for a fresh league. It is a lot of fun. And the league mechanics, if good enough, are incorporated into the core gameplay. So that effort is in no way wasted.

deama

Prophet
Play standard until you get bored or want to start a new character. Then wait for a fresh league. It is a lot of fun. And the league mechanics, if good enough, are incorporated into the core gameplay. So that effort is in no way wasted.
After I got to lvl 90 I was getting bored, so I tried to play the newer leagues they were advertising (talisman, some other ones...) but I just kept giving up before even reaching lvl 10...

act 5 where you go to like some hell or heaven place.

I think the inside of the beast at the end of Act 4 was sort of intended to be a bit of a Hell-type area.

You also kinda missed the part where the game was best, and played most like Diablo 2. They're slowly but surely morphing the game into a clone of D3, and it isn't looking good. The game is currently horribly, horribly balanced and they aren't doing much about that. The new leagues used to be AWESOME to participate in, but people have perfected their builds, playstyles, and objectives to the point where they hit endgame maps in about 15 hours of playing. If you don't obsessively play the first day, the main advantages of a fresh economy are not for you. That being said, for some of us starting from scratch can be fun. If it isn't your thing, stick with the standard league.
I started playing it just before Act 4 was released. I think act 4 was released when I hit lvl 50, so about a week of playing I'd say. Then I played till lvl 58, took a break of 6 months; came back and continued playing till lvl 78; took a break again and came back when ascendancy was released, played that till lvl 88; took a break again, came back and played till lvl 91 and stopped again (that was about a month ago). When about did it go downhill?

The different leagues aren't that much work anyways. Mostly something for the programmers to do instead of spinning their wheels while the artists try and crank out new skills, monsters, terrain and of course hats. My main gripe with the game is how poorly balanced it is for people with half a brain, and the fact that the devs very clearly cater to the kind of retard that can't be bothered to read tooltips.
I'm suprised they haven't made any crazy interesting leagues, why hasn't there ever been a league where there is no lvl cap and there's 10x exp gain with imba bosses? Idk, something crazy like that.

Last edited:

Thane Solus

Arcane
Its fun for a while, but the camera distance, the small and black maps, boring maps, puts me off every time. They made a lot of doh, but they havent invested much back into polishing the game on animations, maps and so on. They did added tons of content, but it feels like 5 man indie game sometimes (they have around 40 people now...). What it keeps alive is the FFX skill system that makes you create lots interesting builds, while the combat, maps and story are mediocre so it can only hold the hardcore dedicated fans... I mean look at D2, camera distance, itemization look, maps and story, still better IMHO than this, too bad some systems have gotten old, and hd patch is more like an exploit.

D3 is hack and slash for dummies, but what it killed the most for me is the boring ass dumb classes and the lack of character control. I mean i wanted a proper druid, a necromancer, a proper mage and so on, what we got is some boring ass classes, but decent world design and maps up to a point. Tbh while i love POE character development and builds with the uniques, the rest is quite meh... but thats just me.

deama

Prophet
Its fun for a while, but the camera distance, the small and black maps, boring maps, puts me off every time. They made a lot of doh, but they havent invested much back into polishing the game on animations, maps and so on. They did added tons of content, but it feels like 5 man indie game sometimes (they have around 40 people now...). What it keeps alive is the FFX skill system that makes you create lots interesting builds, while the combat, maps and story are mediocre so it can only hold the hardcore dedicated fans... I mean look at D2, camera distance, itemization look, maps and story, still better IMHO than this, too bad some systems have gotten old, and hd patch is more like an exploit.

D3 is hack and slash for dummies, but what it killed the most for me is the boring ass dumb classes and the lack of character control. I mean i wanted a proper druid, a necromancer, a proper mage and so on, what we got is some boring ass classes, but decent world design and maps up to a point. Tbh while i love POE character development and builds with the uniques, the rest is quite meh... but thats just me.
Other than D2, what would you say is the best one you've played (Isometric ARPGS)?

Damned Registrations

I'm suprised they haven't made any crazy interesting leagues, why hasn't there ever been a league where there is no lvl cap and there's 10x exp gain with imba bosses? Idk, something crazy like that.
Because at the end of the league all the characters and loot get moved into the dumpster league, and the 10% of the base that plays dumpster league would be immensely butthurt that their overpowered characters aren't overpowered compared to the standard league anymore.

Hyperion

Arcane
I started playing it just before Act 4 was released

Patch 2.0, which was the one that released Act 4. They streamlined the game, and made it plainly obvious they were catering to the crowd who wanted to skip through the main game and rush into maps to grind, grind, grind. Skill balance was completely thrown off, most of their ideas to try and help balance melee and make it similar to ranged backfired, and put it further behind ranged. Characters were slowly but surely made more powerful with little done on the enemy side of things to balance. Their solution was to add more monster HP and damage, which resulted in nothing except the danger of being one-shot.

Wish I had the quote, but the employee who is in charge of skill development and balance said something along the lines of he only fixes abilities he deems fun to play.

deama

Prophet

Patch 2.0, which was the one that released Act 4. They streamlined the game, and made it plainly obvious they were catering to the crowd who wanted to skip through the main game and rush into maps to grind, grind, grind. Skill balance was completely thrown off, most of their ideas to try and help balance melee and make it similar to ranged backfired, and put it further behind ranged. Characters were slowly but surely made more powerful with little done on the enemy side of things to balance. Their solution was to add more monster HP and damage, which resulted in nothing except the danger of being one-shot.

Wish I had the quote, but the employee who is in charge of skill development and balance said something along the lines of he only fixes abilities he deems fun to play.
Yeah, I did notice an annoying amount of 1-shots.

Damned Registrations

Monster hp is precisely the thing they didn't add enough of. Pretty much anything within xp range can be killed insanely fast now with a decent skill, everything seems to be balanced around morons using a 2 or 3 link legacy skill like puncture or glacial hammer, which basically shouldn't exist any more but they don't have the balls to scrap the skills.

Bring monster hp up across the board by a factor of 3 to 5 and you'd have a reasonable pace again maybe. It's honestly hard to tell how much of an increase you'd need when things are getting one shot. But I know that even with a mediocre build, I almost never even see the fight mechanics of map bosses, let alone the random zone uniques and sub bosses during the storyline. Vaal Oversoul often dies before it even gets a single attack off. That thing used to be terrifying. They won't do it though, the plebs want to go fast and look awesome by clearing the screen with a single attack. Can't wait for them to 'fix' namelocking skills being too slow and accidentally buffing some random melee skill into god tier brokeness.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Skipping through the main game to maps is the thing you want to do when you play your fifth league and did the main game content at least 3 times per each character. Really, after getting upwards of 50 characters to maps, you start to think about the main game as a way to gather momentum to charge into the endgame. Its the same for everybody who had at least a few characters at 80+ char level. At endgame, so around level 70-75 you get access to all of the items, skills and ways to create your character the way you envisioned it. Most of the good unique items are restricted to level 65+

And the end game grind is the meat of a game like this. It presents you with a challenge, one that you can influence in its difficulty, and allows you to match your build against it. That is what appeals to most of the high level players, facing a new challenge and seeing if their build will be able to do it. Sure, a looot of people play the meta builds, like BV pathfinder this league (Its great, you should try it!) but they ultimately do it to either grind currency and items more efficiently or as a way to ensure that their first character in a league will be able to do most or all of the new content.

What exactly could be and endgame in a game like PoE, other than a grind of some sort? Its either grind for currency, or for items, or for experience to level up. You really can't support it with a narrative because it would require that you either have a plot that lets you level to max level and somehow gives you best items, or a plot that would only be finishable to the top 1% of players that manage to grind to level 100 in temp leagues. Either way, somebody would be angry, and I am willing to bet that gating plot behind obscene level requirements and difficulty would make more people angry since they cant see the end of the game because of that.

I am first to admit that the game became easier in the recent times, maybe since 2.0. That is a result of a lot of factors. Some of them are new unique items that are quite powerful, new skills that are strong, ascendancy classes that are pure power increase without costs, the playerbase becoming more skilled at the game and being able to use the new items/skills/mechanics to their advantage, the addition of jewels that can make or break some builds, and most of all, the synergy between all of those factors that multiplies with each other. If somebody plays a strong ascendancy class, with one of the strong skills, and also uses a strong unique or two, he will murder mobs quicker than Hutu killed Tutsi.

Lets think what could be done. Certainly increasing the hp and damage of mobs was not satisfactory. Another way would be to decrease the strength of certain skills and item/skill/ascendancy combos, which was done in the last league announcement with Cast on Crit, but then the meta shifted to BV and other skills.

What would be a good balance for the game? Any ideas?

Damned Registrations

The main problem with difficulty balance for these kinds of games is they revolve around the lowest common denominator, which is a character standing still like a moron for 5 seconds during a disconnect, and the highest, which is someone instantly logging out or warping back to town for a full heal. If you're going to try kill the people who can escape entirely in less than a second, while also keeping alive people who do nothing for 5 seconds, of course the combat is going to be random bullshit where skill is ultimately not relevant.

deama

Prophet
So you want special treatment.
Yes.

Lets think what could be done. Certainly increasing the hp and damage of mobs was not satisfactory. Another way would be to decrease the strength of certain skills and item/skill/ascendancy combos, which was done in the last league announcement with Cast on Crit, but then the meta shifted to BV and other skills.

It's too late, if they change too much then a good chunk of people will end up shouting on the forums and cause some drama (maybe loss of sales?).

I think their best option is to release something like act 5 and just make it hard.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Yes.

It's too late, if they change too much then a good chunk of people will end up shouting on the forums and cause some drama (maybe loss of sales?).

I think their best option is to release something like act 5 and just make it hard.
Act 5 will be released in the next big expansion, 3.0, that comes next year, probably around March/April. It will also include the removal of cruel difficulty setting so there will only be two difficulty settings remaining.

deama

Prophet
Yes.

Act 5 will be released in the next big expansion, 3.0, that comes next year, probably around March/April. It will also include the removal of cruel difficulty setting so there will only be two difficulty settings remaining.
Are maps gonna work the same as usual? I mean, you get like a penalty to elemental resistance, with the removal of the third difficulty, would the resistance minus become lower?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Yes.

Are maps gonna work the same as usual? I mean, you get like a penalty to elemental resistance, with the removal of the third difficulty, would the resistance minus become lower?
That is yet to be announced. There are speculations and theories from fans, on how GGG could deal with the jump from no penalty on normal, to -60% on merciless, but nothing has been communicated about it from GGG. The info dump will probably start after the new year with the building of hype for the 3.0 expansion.

Also, interesting fact for the balance discussion: Quill18, the guy that makes youtube lets play and other videos of mostly strategy games, started to play PoE again and is doing some lets play for it. And in 5 hours of gameplay, he managed to get to act 3 of normal difficulty. And he isnt a completly new to the game, been playing it from time to time since alpha. Also, he isnt completly clueless and retarded player, yet it still takes him a fair amount of time to progress. Assuming that the majority of players are at his level of skill or worse, you can clearly see that not everybody is buldozing throught the game like Ruskies through Crimea.

Admitedly, he had no problems with any boss so far, his SRS/Zombies summoner just killed Vaal Oversoul without it even hitting Quill once. So yeah, normal should be renamed to "If you die, you are really dumb".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom