Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rise of the Argonauts was bashed on Dutch TV show Gamekings.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
And that gave me quite some hope for it. The guys from Gamekings that previewed it are utter console twitch gamers that where only complaining about the lack of "brutish combat" and having to talk way too much in the game and being burdened by all sorts of adventure like stuff when they only wanted to slaughter things. Exactly the stuff most people here might like.

Though I had initially dismissed the game as just another diablo wannabe action rpg I'm now pretty interested. Anyone allready tried it?

Worm King

Scholar
Are there proper dialogs in this game? Walking around the town, conversing with the locales, such stuff?

Zuluf

Scholar
I did, for a couple of hours.

Rise of the Argonauts is sort of a modern Nox with a tad more adventurous/narrative approach (I only mentioned Nox because we're having a lulzy el pee thread around here right now, some people might feel closer to that).

I think the dutch cockwrestlers you mentioned expected it to be a God of War with Fallout3esque RPG elements (like imba slow mo faggotry, bloom and sun-staring texture eyeball cancer and SWEAR WURDS JUST TO PROVE WERE MATURE YO).

It does have its share of flaws, however, mostly regarding mechanics, and I'm told zones up ahead are a bit too formulaic.

But as far as the story and atmosphere goes, these guys actually seem to have researched Tzatziki Mythology instead of just having an ancient Chuck Norris with a lot of Hollywood antics up his sleeve.

A user named cat

Doesn't come out in NA until the 16th, looks pretty entertaining actually. Will gladly pirate it, anything to get that FO3 taste out of my mouth. harrrrrrr

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Zuluf said:
But as far as the story and atmosphere goes, these guys actually seem to have researched Tzatziki Mythology instead of just having an ancient Chuck Norris with a lot of Hollywood antics up his sleeve.
Yeah, right. Jason needed the Golden Fleece to rez his wife, and Apollo was the god of compassion. :roll: RotA is still one of my most anticipated RPGs, but Liquid raped the Greek mythology harder than Titan Quest and AoM combined.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Haven't played it yet, but there were lots of goofs in the preview materials. On the brighter side, if there is enough of them it can give the game some sort of a twisted charm.

Zuluf

Scholar
I'm about four hours into the game at this point and nothing seems too far-fetched (it's been a while since I read Greek Mythology, but still...) up until now.

I'll let you know after I get away from work if there's anything worth a facepalm.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Seriously, Game Kings bashed it?

Consider my interest raised. If they hate it there must be something to it.

A user named cat

Was leaked on torrents today, in the middle of grabbing it just to try it out. Here's a comment though I believe people here will find both interesting and disheartening:

This one is actually decent, sure it feels a little console-ish, but it's a neat little game
Looks good and actually runs equally good to boot. (Compared to GTA IV, which looks like crap and runs like equal crap.)

It feels kinda weird not to have an UI though, but it works. A shallow RPG/hack-n-slash/adventure that gets 65-70% from me.

Turok

Erudite
Phantasmal said:
Was leaked on torrents today, in the middle of grabbing it just to try it out. Here's a comment though I believe people here will find both interesting and disheartening:

This one is actually decent, sure it feels a little console-ish, but it's a neat little game
Looks good and actually runs equally good to boot. (Compared to GTA IV, which looks like crap and runs like equal crap.)

It feels kinda weird not to have an UI though, but it works. A shallow RPG/hack-n-slash/adventure that gets 65-70% from me.

Sounds like a nice game, i just hope get that this game let me forget about fallout 3 bad experience.

Zuluf

Scholar
OK, So I wish I could say " I was right ". Lestat was, though :(

It took me quite a few hours into the game to break the illusion, but I'm ready to say it now. *gasp* Characters are still cardboard cutouts. And whatever feeling of narrative depth I had, it's gone now. This is...

...another Hollywood Greek Salad.

Animations are pretty neat - it's kind of like a slower God of War - there's none of the frenzy, but things actually weigh in this game. Combat is of the action/adventure variety - no numbers, chance to hit, etc. But it does feel natural and flowy, no complaining there.

There's all kinds of "complex RPG elements" such as "speaking" with "NPCs". When you talk to someone, there are four dialog options you can pick from - each of them means sucking up to a God like there's no tommorow, and this is how you get (specialized) new abilities and stuff. The system works and all, but I personally would rather I chose speaking options based on Jason being an asshole/a saint than appeasing Ares, Apollo, Athena or Hermes.

On the good side, it went hack'n'slash all the way. Meaning no mind-numbing features like having to loot hundreds of generic items just to vendor them. All the weapons I got so far are pretty awesome.

There are side-quests too, but since RotA is obviously a hack and slash, the RPG layer is slimmer than I expected (gah, fucking hype :<). Don't expect to be doing much more than combat. Oh and it got to a point where AoE farming became a lot faster and a lot more fruitful, but that happens a lot nowadays.

The canon deviations get more and more frequent as you progress through it. In the first three hours I didn't get pissed at all the literary devices and simplification artifices, but now it feels they've taken quite a lot of liberties.

A user named cat

To call this game a simple console port is an understatement, holy shit. There are no video options aside from changing the resolution, you also can't customize individual controls only default layouts. Hell, even when you start the game up it says "Press Start". Give me a break!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Yup, it's extremely consolised. It's so far also pretty fun to play. The combat isn't that deep, but quite satisfying. It's fast paced and arcady and feels quite visceral. The character build system isn't too deep from what I've seen so far. I do like whole system where you can dedicate deeds to the gods to earn favor (xp). When you gain enough favor with a god you can upgrade some of the powers that god gives you. There seems to be plenty to do and while the old greek myths are raped beyond recognition the story flows nicely. Voice acting is adequate, music is the same old shit you hear in any historical movie/serie/game and the graphics and art direction are both quite nice. They really went epic with the surroundings, and it works imo quite well.

Nothing to write home about so far, but it's keeping me entertained. Solid hack and slash adventure with more rpg influences then I expected. However I don't think there will be a lot of c&c in this one.

A user named cat

Yep it is decent so far, but I don't think I'd even call it an RPG. Basically an action/adventure game with skills. I really enjoyed how you were able to brutalize that assassin even while he was still talking, highlight so far.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Played it for two hours, and it's the best BioWare RPG I've ever played. Yeah, it wasn't developed by BioWare, but it might as well be, as it follows the Canadian school of RPG design to the letter. Combat is a bit slow for my tastes, but it's fun. Different weapons feel different, and it looks like special abilities granted by gods are pretty diverse and can change the way you play the game quite a bit.

What I really liked is the dialogue system. Basically, it's Mass Effect's dialogue wheel minus the bullshit. Yes, you can actually predict what Jason is going to say. Usually, there are from two to four responses available, each tied to a particular god. Options tend to look like this:

Ares - threatening people, throwing around bad one-liners, sexually harrassing persons of the opposite gender and generally acting like a pheromone-powered alpha male. If you ever wanted to role play a B action movie protagonist, this is the path for you.
Hermes - Ares in a suit. Good one-liners, making fun out of people, manipulating things to your advantage. Trickster lovers, rejoice.
Apollo - the Way of the Boy Scout. 'Nuff said.
Athena - wisdom and justice. She has a lot of nice lines that make you feel like a nice person without making you want to vomit because of their sheer sweetness.

The system works very well and allows you to quickly make a choice that suits the character type you're trying to play. A good thing in an Action/RPG.

Oh, and the game does rape Greek religion beyond any recognition, but I'm really enjoying it, in a twisted sort of way, and will post the list of inconsistencies with the source material I've encountered once I finish the game. It's going to be a long list.

A user named cat

I'm not a mythology geek, so I don't really notice much wrong in that department. Only problem I really have with the game so far is it stutters like a muff on my system in certain areas. Guess it's getting to the point where a dual core and such are going to be mandatory for next-gen games.

IlkuWarrior

Liturgist
Well, I've not removed it from inventory, and played a bit... at first it seemed to be another consoletarded action game, but as I played on it got better and better, especially when the fighting stopped.

The game brings to mind images of KOTOR and I'm guessing has similarities with Mass Effect, since I didn't play ME, but based on the stuff I read.

The dialog, even if it does just give you a short line to figure out what is Jason gonna say, is actually quite nice. And there's does seem to a be some C&C so far, some seem quite drastic (I'm not sure tho, will need to see do you always end up at the same outcome or not).

I kind like the way they implemented the gods as a sort of alternative to an alignment system/good-evil meter... It means you don't always get to choose what exact actions are you gonna take, but you can at least pick your motivations. It's not perfect, but definitely better then take quest/take quest for money/don't take quest crap.

The true cons of the game are of the technical sort, that is, the consolation. I'm gonna go play with the games files now to see if I can maybe change some graphical options :roll:

Zuluf

Scholar
Stuck at final boss. For 30 minutes now.

I feel my brain is challenged by all these next-gen console RPG features -_-

Will write a full tl;dr review at some point, but I have to beat this flying cunt first.

made

Arcane
I'm waiting for skyway's opinion on this one before I decide if it's worth the bandwidth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom