Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rise of the Argonauts was bashed on Dutch TV show Gamekings.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Phantasmal said:
I'm not a mythology geek, so I don't really notice much wrong in that department.
I'm not a geek, I'm a religious scholar-in-training! :D Greek heroic myths just happen to be the subject of my term paper.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Zuluf said:
Stuck at final boss. For 30 minutes now.
hm?
block the beam -> throw spear.
power block the spheres.
finish off with a sword.
or something like that.

A user named cat

Hümmelgümpf said:
I'm not a geek, I'm a religious scholar-in-training! :D Greek heroic myths just happen to be the subject of my term paper.
I think you took that the wrong way, just meant geek as in really into the subject. I have very general knowledge on mythology and haven't noticed anything wrong so far. So what exactly is falsely portrayed in the game? Aside from Hercules looking like a dufus.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Phantasmal said:
Hümmelgümpf said:
I think you took that the wrong way, just meant geek as in really into the subject.
Noticed the smiley? :D
I have very general knowledge on mythology and haven't noticed anything wrong so far. So what exactly is falsely portrayed in the game? Aside from Hercules looking like a dufus.
My last save is on the Argo, just before leaving Iolcus (about 2 hours into the game). Here's an expert opinion of a first year religious studies student on what I've seen thus far:
1. The entire premise is fucked up. Jason's uncle, Pelias, who usurped the throne of Iolcus sent him to fetch the Fleece. As he said, he needed it to appease Phrixus' angry spirit. This was a lie, and Pelias hoped that Jason would die during his journey.
2. Speaking of Pelias, why is Jason's in-game uncle portrayed his best friend and most trusted advisor? On the other hand, he has a pretty evil-looking beard, so I sense a PLOT TWIST revealing him to be the one who paid for the hit coming.
3. "Delphi is not to be found on any map." This is the worst offender thus far. Delphi was the spiritual capital of Ancient Greece. In-game Delphi is an island, while the real Delphi is a city located on the mainland. The most depressing about this is that there is an island linked to Apollo that would work very well in this game - Delos. According to legends, the island used to actually move around the sea (although that had been before Apollo was born), and this could explain the lack of maps very nicely.
4. Apollo and his portrayal. OK, nobody remembers that he started out as a god of plagues and disease, and I've learned to accept this, but he is still notorious for being easy to anger. Google Marsyas or Niobe for details. BTW, "Know thyself" was meant to be taken as "Know your place, you puny worm".
5. Hercules. It's Heracles, for fuck's sake. We're not in Rome. Besides, when did he lose his trademark club?
6. Medea. I don't want to even go there.
7. King of Mycenae is said to be a priest of Ares. Two gods, Hades and Ares, didn't have any priests because they didn't care about human life, and worshipping them was considered to be pointless.
8. The cavern where Zeus grew up was said to be on Crete, not near Iolcus. It wasn't linked to Ares in any way.
9. The Argo. The damn thing wasn't clockwork-powered.

A user named cat

Hmm okay, does sound pretty inaccurate then. To be expected though, it's a video game afterall. Not sure why those changes were made, either out of ignorance or for playing experience.

What's that about Heracles though? I see his name spelled Hercules everywhere, even in movies and such.

Mic Turner

Novice
Phantasmal said:
What's that about Heracles though? I see his name spelled Hercules everywhere, even in movies and such.

Heracles is the original greek name; it became Hercules when the romans took the greek myth as their own, as Ares became Mars, Hermes became Mercurius and so on...

Hümmelgümpf said:
9. The Argo. The damn thing wasn't clockwork-powered.

True, but can you imagine the Good Guys TM sailing on a slave-powered ship in a mainstream game? ;)

There's far worse though...

10. Achilles and Patroclus. No, just no...

11. Perseus and Medusa. Medusa a priestess of Athena? Perseus and Medusa brother and sister?! Perseus trying to protect Medusa?!
The real Perseus was looking for Medusa's severed head to save his mother from an unwanted marriage, and the real Medusa was transformed in a monster by Athena. Good gods did they fuck this up...

Still, the game IS pretty fun, and most Athena and Hermes dialogue choices are surprisingly (for a console game) good; Athena ones, especially, look like lines for a Lawful Good character that doesn't end up as Lawful Stupid.

A user named cat

The dialogue choices themselves are pretty neat and all, but the dialogue itself is all around really quite drab.

made

Arcane
Well, when it comes to mythology there is no such thing as "accurate facts" and some liberty is allowed. Obviously they went too far in some cases here, dropping big names just for effect. For example, I suppose they went with Hercules purely due to "brand recognition", what with the TV series and all.

The writing, on the other hand, is quite good. The dialogue choices are not deep by any means but largely devoid of Bioware style juvenile crap. Voice acting is also more than adequate. it all fits rather wlel, and there's none of the fake accents and overdone voices you'll find in similiar games.

Combat sucks though. I can't seem to get the weapon swapping/special moves right so I just hack away with standard attacks until stuff drops dead. Might be just me though.

So far I'm enjoying this far more than the SoZ borefest.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
12. Pan got nerfed from a lesser deity to a satyr. He is also portrayed as a follower of Apollo, which is a tad weird, since Hermes was his mythological daddy. However, I'm inclined to forgive Liquid because of his unbelievably cool British accent. It makes absolutely no sense, but boy, is it cool.
13. Herc acts surprised when he finds out that Pan can talk. AFAIK, satyrs didn't have any problems with this.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
The Norse Gods are younger, tougher and would kick these incestuous, faggoty Greek hazbins into powder.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Played for a while. Combat is very God of War lite which shouldn't be too difficult for most RPG players to handle, and the adventure/RPG part is BETTA THAN ASS AFFEKT (no kidding)!

And the design that choices during conversations is heavily tied to what skill you can learn is innovative enough even compared to PS:T and co, in which you just gain plain experience during conversations. Seemingly stupid xbox achievements being able to be cashed in for "xp" is quite nice too.

This game really isn't too shabby.

And this:

So far I'm enjoying this far more than the SoZ borefest.

It was 100% worth it uninstalled my NWN2 to make space for RotA.

made

Arcane
Meh, game keeps randomly crashing during dialogues on Mycenae. Gotta wait for the patch, I guess.

IlkuWarrior

Liturgist
Well, I've completed it.

It's a nice game, I'd give it a 7/10, but far too short, like most newer games.

A bit of more variety of everything in the game, or a little more sandboxy stuff, would of made it quite good...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom