Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 2 info bundle

Ruprekt

Scholar
Risen already has better voice acting than DA2.

As a native Brit I can tell you that the DA2 voice actors are taking the piss and camping it up.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Konjad said:
Decado said:
Who cares? Risen sucked ass.

I guess 2010 will always remain newfag year.

Lol I love how when someone picks on your pet game, the only response at the Codex is "WELL LOOK AT WHAT YEAR YOU JOINED!!!" How long you've been posting at a website doesn't mean a fucking thing about your taste in video games, you fucking moron.

Risen was terrible. Combat was floaty, the two faction set-up was ridiculous, exploration was tedious, the quests were boring. The ending 1/3rd of the game was a fucking joke. You spend the first half of the game on rails, running errands for whichever faction you choose (which seems to be, literally, determined by WHICH ROAD YOU GO DOWN FIRST). The stat/skill system was dumb.

Really, the only thing decent about the game was the voice acting (some of it was pretty good). Also, the story was just plain old dumb.

All in all it was a yawn.

Decado said:
Risen was terrible. Combat was floaty, the two faction set-up was ridiculous, exploration was tedious, the quests were boring.

Feel free to go into detail on this any time.

bhlaab

Erudite
Wow a developer is actually using feedback to improve the sequel instead of trying to figure out which corners can be cut. This is exciting and new to me!

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Decado said:
Risen was terrible. Combat was floaty,
What does this even mean? If you're going to criticize something, do it properly instead of spouting "x game was bad" over and over, like it means anything. Only skyway has ever managed to make that entertaining and you are not skyway. And even skyway can properly criticize a game if he's not raging too hard. :smug:
the two faction set-up was ridiculous,
What was ridiculous about it? The Inquisition invades the island, kicks the Don out of his town, and enforces their own laws without telling anyone what's going on with the ruins. Don Esteben is understandably pissed and starts causing trouble while the townspeople are left confused and unsure of what to do while being pushed around by the Inquisition, and the Mages try to do what they can to help them while not causing trouble. Pretty simple set-up, but then the game takes place on a small island full of monks and farmers, there isn't enough room to present a large number of factions.
exploration was tedious,
Yes, I understand. Exploration can be very tedious when you have no magic quest compass and pop-up journals telling you exactly what to do, and you're required to actually look around and explore your environment. :roll:
the quests were boring.
A game with over 100 quests, many of which feature alternate solutions, C&C, double-crossing, well-designed dungeons etc, and you can't think of any good ones? Really?
The ending 1/3rd of the game was a fucking joke.
I agree, the last two chapters were indeed piss-poor compared to the game's first half, where all the content was. Thankfully, PB is aiming to improve pacing in R2.
You spend the first half of the game on rails, running errands for whichever faction you choose (which seems to be, literally, determined by WHICH ROAD YOU GO DOWN FIRST).
Yes, you do errands for them because unlike in Oblivion where you can just stroll into a guild office and sign up, the guys in Risen actually demand that you work your fucking ass off and prove your dedication and worth before they take you in. And it's also possible to say you'll help out one faction, but then go and double-cross them.

And what road you traveled down first has nothing to do with what faction you join. You can walk into the Don's camp first thing, decide you hate them, and then go to Harbour Town to earn the Mage's trust instead. You only get forced into a faction if you're a fucking dumbass who ignores all the warnings NPCs give you and try to walk through the front gates of Harbour Town, where the guards will beat you to a pulp and draft you. Hardcore C&C. :smug:
The stat/skill system was dumb.
I agree, it could have been better. It was far too easy to max out stats with potions. I liked the combat skills though, and how training them taught you new techniques to use and how to use heavier weapons.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It already sounds so much better than anything so far announced this year. In fact it sounds better than anything announced since what was released in 2009. :love:

quests are better balanced between the chapters (in the opinion of many players, Risen 1 is lacking of quests after chapter 2).
Seems they are indeed addressing the main concerns people had about the first game, It's refreshing to have a game developer listen to criticism of their product and use it to improve their future games.

Smallpox said:
ortucis said:
Adding a few pointless LGBT romances will help make it a commercial success as well.
:M Please god let there be pirate buttsex :M

Now there is a newfag if I ever saw one.

x4nti

Educated
Some good announcements.

there are several islands (vs. only Faranga in Risen 1); each island will be between 1/3 and 2/3 of Faranga size (source)

I like the sound of this. Even though open game worlds are awesome I actually always like it best when it is slightly partitioned.

Armors consist of individual sets of boots, gloves, hats, upper and lower clothing, etc

Nice! More equipment slots = :incline:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
x4nti said:
Some good announcements.

there are several islands (vs. only Faranga in Risen 1); each island will be between 1/3 and 2/3 of Faranga size (source)

I like the sound of this. Even though open game worlds are awesome I actually always like it best when it is slightly partitioned.

Armors consist of individual sets of boots, gloves, hats, upper and lower clothing, etc

Nice! More equipment slots = :incline:

Indeed, one of the weak points of Risen was the little variety on armor, I just hope they don't go too crazy with stats.

I can't wait to go swashbucklin' while wearing only a pirate hat and a pair of boots.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Someone at the official frourms had a brief wrap up of a Risen 2 german article:

For these who understand German, there is a 4 page article in the last issue of GameStar:

Facts:
- "hand made" world
- about the size of Gothic 3
- travel between islands via boats (requires loading time)
- special movement skills ("dirty tricks")
- combat system multi-direction with recovery time
- firearms can be improved with special ammunition
- crafting, including improved weapons
- much more clothes and equipments
- ability to disable the "helper" functions, such as quest markers and life bar
- 5 attributes and + / - 75 active and passive skills
- players experiencing by themselves will be rewarded with amazing results (?)
- alcohol and women play an important role

Strengths:
+ several possibilities of solution
+ varied combat system
+ polyvalent equipment options
+ strong narrative component
+ more quests with twists

Weaknesses:
- to be seen how the world remains "open" with respect to the structure of the islands
- the identification with the hero may suffer for lack of strict system for factions

Other elements in the article:
- voodoo is part of the magic system
- guilds mentionned in the article (so not exhaustive): inquisition, sort of paladins, pirates, guild connected to the voodoo cult
- as for Risen 1, one will have to chose for a faction with impact on who agrees to teach which competency
- however quests/story line should not be very different whatever the guild is chosen
- no "online" component, neither MMO foreseen (clear and definitive "no" from Björn Pankrat !)
- not lacking ideas for after Risen 2; a new Gothic ? -> cannot say today in which direction they will go

:yeah:

Captain Shrek

Fuck you OP. I wanted to write a small review of Risen after having played it recently. You spoiled my opportunity. Now I have to wait until this article hits bottom/page 2.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i'll be happy if they manage not to make the last third of the game into a tedious hack'n slash toppled with an absolutely shitty arcade-like boss battle.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well, it's a PB game. Exploration is their strong point, I know they won't disappoint on that aspect, but:

Admiral jimbob said:
- as for Risen 1, one will have to chose for a faction with impact on who agrees to teach which competency
- however quests/story line should not be very different whatever the guild is chosen
:/
:/ indeed.

torpid

Liturgist
- about the size of Gothic 3

:yeah:

Gothic 3 was huge. And if Risen 2 is split between multiple islands, each one will probably have its own theme and decor. I found Risen to be a little cramped, so this is great news.

As for quests: did they ever really vary in the other games? You mostly did the same quests, while choosing who to side with, then there were a few exclusive quests, and finally you were shoehorned into the later stage of the game which played out the same regardless of which faction you picked.

Raapys

Arcane
Gods, that's awesome news. Though if they're going G3 size with the game world, are we looking at another bugfest? Or are they simply counting the 'water' as well?

Kraszu

Prophet
Raapys said:
Gods, that's awesome news. Though if they're going G3 size with the game world, are we looking at another bugfest? Or are they simply counting the 'water' as well?

They did change allot with G3. New engine, new fight system/new controls, new inventory etc. New reputation system. With Risen 2 they will reuse the engine, make small changes to the combat, and game systems.

Raapys

Arcane
True, but it wasn't so much the engine I was concerned about( being released for consoles pretty much ensures a certain level of QA before release) as it was the actual content they have to fill it with.

Kraszu

Prophet
Raapys said:
True, but it wasn't so much the engine I was concerned about( being released for consoles pretty much ensures a certain level of QA before release) as it was the actual content they have to fill it with.

Less time spend on engine = more time to polish content. :M

Captain Shrek

A quick request: I am on my 1.5th playthrough in Risen. I am in harbourtown and I may have broken the main quest. I did 3 quests for bandits and 3 quests for the Order and now there seem to be no quests left and I can't join either faction:

I did the following for bandits:

1) Delgado extortion quest
2) Toni's Amulet quest
3) Lukor's armour plate quest

I did the following three for the Order:

1) Got rid of Cid
2) Got rid of Weasel
3) Got Romanov's gold

Is it really broken? Or is there one more savior quest? The Golden bowl (artifact) quest seems to be post-faction joining.

So do I have to reply? (my earlier save is in the Bandit Camp, when I JUST enter it :( ).

bat_boro

Arcane
Kron said:
the composer's name is still unknown.

If Rosenkranz does not compose the music for this game it will certainly be a massive decline.

I actually hope my fellow country man and namesake Borislav Slavov would return for Risen 2. He was the guy responsible for the awesome Varant and Nordmar tracks in Gothic 3. He's also the guy behind the Knights of Honor soundtrack (which for me is one of the greatest things ever made, but I'll admit I'm a little biased) and the Crysis 2 OST. Which is also pretty good from what I've heard of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom