Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
NPCs in gothic games moved only as far as their day/night schedule told them to (which was still quite advanced for the time), like going to work/bed, sitting in the tavern. I did see a couple of times some bloodflies fighting cattle or something like that, but am not sure if that wasn't simply bad case of pathfinding. Creatures tend to stuck in places sometimes. As for NPCs fighting creatures it only ever happens when protagonist is near them. Like when you first encountered that pirate captain in G:NotR and there were some wolfes/crawlers near him. Fucking XP thief.:mad:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Are you channeling Roguey or something? Fighting a Shadow Lord or Soul Eater melee still carries a modicum of risk (because you can't just LMB nonstop, like you can with some of the animals after a while), whereas, for instance, shooting them in the face and occasionally rolling back doesn't. It's like playing TW by rolling nonstop in every single fight, or using a fully charged wand of fireball & summoning in every single fight in BG.

This "modicum of risk" essentially boils down to a quasi-QTE that can only be done by using ripostes all the time since the soul eater in question can just go ahead and 2-hit-kill you in any random moment when it decides to do so. If you find this exciting for some reason and so much better than getting it over with quickly by shooting it, well, then I'm afraid there is nothing to see here.

But whining about how you are so fucking bored while using the most boring method?

Show me the less boring fucking method then for the love of God because I sure as fucking hell don't see it. With the exception of soul eaters, the melee boils down to LMBing everything to death while doing the occasional roll away if you are getting mobbed, or using some power attacks to break through blockfags (for the grand total of, say, one attack, which also makes meleeing humans/skellingtons/minions last about twice as much as monsters and is also twice as boring/annoying), and magic is OP as all fuckerty fuck because of the lack of mana (LOLOLO KOOLDOWNS)

Also, speaking of which, I just got an IDDQD spell. Guess I've won the game.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
NPCs in gothic games moved only as far as their day/night schedule told them to (which was still quite advanced for the time), like going to work/bed, sitting in the tavern.
I was referring specifically to the NPC group that moves between the old mine and around the old camp in G1, not the day/night cycle.

^ Man you clowns complain about everything. Does every RPG have to feature some sort of "living world" for you to esacpe to from your pathetic lives?
is calling anyone who doesnt like risen a "clown" and being in constant defensive mode your life purpose ?

Tigranes

Arcane
Are you channeling Roguey or something? Fighting a Shadow Lord or Soul Eater melee still carries a modicum of risk (because you can't just LMB nonstop, like you can with some of the animals after a while), whereas, for instance, shooting them in the face and occasionally rolling back doesn't. It's like playing TW by rolling nonstop in every single fight, or using a fully charged wand of fireball & summoning in every single fight in BG.

This "modicum of risk" essentially boils down to a quasi-QTE that can only be done by using ripostes all the time since the soul eater in question can just go ahead and 2-hit-kill you in any random moment when it decides to do so. If you find this exciting for some reason and so much better than getting it over with quickly by shooting it, well, then I'm afraid there is nothing to see here.

But whining about how you are so fucking bored while using the most boring method?

Show me the less boring fucking method then for the love of God because I sure as fucking hell don't see it. With the exception of soul eaters, the melee boils down to LMBing everything to death while doing the occasional roll away if you are getting mobbed, or using some power attacks to break through blockfags (for the grand total of, say, one attack, which also makes meleeing humans/skellingtons/minions last about twice as much as monsters and is also twice as boring/annoying), and magic is OP as all fuckerty fuck because of the lack of mana (LOLOLO KOOLDOWNS)

Also, speaking of which, I just got an IDDQD spell. Guess I've won the game.

Sounds like you've just described all PB combat as quasi-QTE. Oh, and soul eaters can be beaten without using any ripostes or blocks, and without rolling like a maniac nonstop.

Look, every Gothic game was 'broken' in the sense that you could cheese almost every encounter with ranged or whatever else. The difference is that in R2/3, melee combat which was very tightly wound has unravelled, so that it becomes too easy to LMB everything as you level up your attack speed, and R3's commendable idea of giving player lots of cool options has made things way too easy. I don't think I or anybody else has disagreed on this front. I decided early on to enjoy it for what it is, meaning I didn't use ranged, I didn't roll like a maniac, and I tried to figure out attack patterns of enemies.

That doesn't mean the combat is good. But if I was going to just shoot everyone in the face I'd have just quit playing. That's why I wonder why you're even bothering.

DramaticPopcorn

3rd Risen's most heinous crime of all is not even the atrocious combat and extremely unrewarding exploration. It is lack of 'living' wildlife that offends the most: it is completely static. Animals never wander, they never hunt, they never fight with other factions. You have warthogs peacefully co-existing with dragon snappers, aligators, goblins and humans, although, for the sake of illusion of such segregation, their spawns are located a little bit apart from each other. Humans never venture outside of their settlements on their own. Unless PC comes and triggers something, the world will remain completely still, and only in settlements will they go about their routine.
Umm.. it was exactly the same in ALL Piranha games.
Well, not exactly. There were a few NPCs who moved around the world map in Gothic along set paths, though of course the enemies never moved. I'm not really sure about the enemy distribution in R3 as I haven't played it yet, but in the Gothic games different types of enemies did tend to be segregated from each other somewhat. But yeah, active or 'dynamic' wildlife has never been a part of any PB game, so I'm not sure why anyone would expect it here.
Fairly sure that in G1 and 2 monsters occasionally fought each other. For instance, shadow beast would hunt anything at night, wandering quite far from its lair. In Risen 1, wildlife would occasionally wander close to the ghoul and those would mercilessly kill it and feed on the body until it vanished.
In both gothic games, there were NPCs travelling between settlements although not very frequently and not in very big groups. They would always fight the attacking wildlife on their way and that didn't require PC to trigger something, as far as I remember.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I decided early on to enjoy it for what it is

I am tired of treating glaring devolution of great source material as something "good for what it is". Especially considering the pre-release hype that "whoa whoa dis is a back to the roots deal!!" AND the fact that this game, again, just like Ri2en, DOES show potential, and it DOES actually show improvements over Ri2en or at least the intention of improving, but the end effect is only a tiny slightly less terribad effort than Ri2en, and the inclusion of retarded shit like invisible walls only makes it more painful.

Sounds like you've just described all PB combat as quasi-QTE.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Tigranes

Arcane
Well see, there's a qualitative difference between a R1 scavenger who has a distinct attack pattern and will fuck you up if you LMB spam, and R2/3 scavenger who can be LMB spammed. A Soul Eater for instance, though, is basically the same kind of enemey you face in older PB games.

Anyway, again, we agree on our assessments of the game, I just don't understand why you're putting yourself through it if you hate it that much.

Reinstalling R1 btw, curious to see how differently it feels straight off the back of R3.

Emily

Arcane
So i played a bit more, i have to say it is not even close to Risen 1. It is like risen 2+ edition.
How they managed to fuck up system you already made is beyond me. You just had to take Risen 1 and maybe improve a bit, hell you didnt even need to improve it in the end. It was 10 times better then Risen 2 and 3
And seriously did anyone even play Risen 2? I doubt it was a success.... I dont remember anyone praising it.

subotaiy

Cipher
Animals do fight each other, at least sometimes from what I saw(dragon snapper attacking warthog). I wish they would have made a single area from combining Taranis and Calador, the island partitionig really hurts the game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Wouldn't fit on the 360. That's also the explanation for the pirate theme.

Watch Risen 4 mysteriously switch to one or two huge islands again.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Since that's that, I'd be actually interested in seeing how PB would fare with a modern or scifi setting with no monsters or magic.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finished it. Meh. Another game that I'll forget after a two months.
Enemy varierty plain sucks, at least there should be some more powerful minions and undead especially in end game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Surprises me that Derp Silver doesn't want to milk even more sequels out of it since they're the new kings of picking up mediocre IP's. Maybe what remains of PB will make something decent now... but I doubt it.

Emily

Arcane
I doubt that at this point there is anything to even milk from Risen.
Old fans are alienated, while new Call of dooty audience obviously dosent like it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I would buy/kickstart a Gothic 1 remake/director's cut in Risen 1's engine... get to it PB! Oh, who am I kidding? Their next game will probably include gay space vampires.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm on the last island and I cannot take it any longer.

This is one horrific game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Can't be that bad. I stopped playing Arcania about a fourth of the way in... you'd have stopped earlier!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom