Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

ikarinokami

Augur
I think the limitations of the ps3 and xbox 360 just destroyed these game. is it any surprise after the risen 1 was too large to run properly on the xbox 360

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
h6791C66D

*facepalm*

I'll maybe pick this up if I can get it with all DLCs and stuff for a very cheap price.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm on the last island and I cannot take it any longer.

This is one horrific game.

I just rushed main quest at that point... but still you need to explore most of the island for the last quest.

Finished it as well. It took me 45 hours which is more than the 35 hours I needed for Risen 2. Only 2-3 quests which were not done.

risen3_char7pbg9.png

risen3_swordhdscn.png

The good news is that the game is polished, the bad news is that it's a polished turd mainly because of following problems:
Story - is unbelievable bad even by Gothic's standards. It's a convoluted mess of stupid ideas without any sense what-so-ever.
Combat - if it was "acceptable" before Dark Souls was released on PC then right now it cannot hold a candle.
Voice-Acting - it's mostly acceptable but then they fucked the voice of the main protagonist which makes it unbearable.
Factions - were streamlined. Instead of feeling original and interesting, they feel like some artificial constructs designed to check a mark on the game's box.
Atmosphere - none. The mystery is gone.

I don't know if it is my age or my taste but something has definitely changed from the moment I've finished the last PB game and to be honest the entire game was a chore. A tedious mediocre chore.
The only good thing about this game is the hand-crafted world, it is gorgeous, and the decent exploration but that is not enough. After playing Dark Souls, this game looks like a Disneyland travelogue - there was no moment in which I felt like playing the old Gothic.

Fuck this. The Decline tag for this game is deserved.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
By the way, 105 is the limit for stats. Drinking permanent stat potions after this point is a waste of gold.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
What a horrible UI. Should have called up the Serpent in the Staglands guys for pointers.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the fuck, a fucking boss minigame? Really? It pissed me off so much I stopped playing. At least in Risen 1/2 it was at the end game, so I didn't lose much. Fuck you PB. I had a lot of fun with this game but now I get a fucking minigame. I don't finish modern cRPGs because of that stuff but every time I am pissed as fuck.

Fucking game, fuck. I won't be recommending this turd to anyone.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Mini games make boss fights epic and memorable. piranja embraced the new way of thinking, it's as if I'm playing the game on my ps4

Tigranes

Arcane
You mean like the Kraken right

Luckily there is only one minigame boss, the final final boss is kind of gimmicky but not that bad.

Alfons

Prophet
Fuck me.Some of you guys have a high tolerance for shit.I have been playing since release and I'm 12 hours in.I can play it for around 30 minutes before saying fuck it.Shit combat,boring as fuck story,Christian Bale impersonator as the main voice actor.
The enemy variety is probably the worst part,there are like 13 in the entire game only problem that's not entirely true,you have about 6.
Humanoid enemies with guns,humanoid enemies with melee weapons,humanoid enemies with magic,small wildlife,large wildlife and small wildlife with a spit attack.All the enemies in the game are reskins of those 5 types.Be it a giant rat,a giant bird or a bigass spider all they do is execute their homing long range short range attack.

Games with shit combat you might play for the story,games with shit story you might play for the combat,games that are shit you don't play,unless you were dumb enough to buy it of course =(

Tigranes

Arcane
Fuck me.Some of you guys have a high tolerance for shit.I have been playing since release and I'm 12 hours in.I can play it for around 30 minutes before saying fuck it.Shit combat,boring as fuck story,Christian Bale impersonator as the main voice actor.
The enemy variety is probably the worst part,there are like 13 in the entire game only problem that's not entirely true,you have about 6.
Humanoid enemies with guns,humanoid enemies with melee weapons,humanoid enemies with magic,small wildlife,large wildlife and small wildlife with a spit attack.All the enemies in the game are reskins of those 5 types.Be it a giant rat,a giant bird or a bigass spider all they do is execute their homing long range short range attack.

Games with shit combat you might play for the story,games with shit story you might play for the combat,games that are shit you don't play,unless you were dumb enough to buy it of course =(

You must have an even higher tolerance than me, I wouldn't play a game I think is shit for 12 hours.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I enjoyed it very much for the humour and exploration, combat is meh and story is retarded, but it doesn't bother me much (especially since there is basically no combat, as I shoot everything in 5 seconds with my musket :M), but fucking forced minigames are too much for me. I'll be joining the Hate Squad after all.

subotaiy

Cipher
I'm in Calador chapter 3, just joined the dragon hunters and the game is starting to grow on me (some dragon hunter in Valley of Mines vibes), at least enough to ignore the combat. I recommend going to this region or Taranis after the tutorial. They're the biggest and most fun to explore/quest zones.

Alfons

Prophet
There are at least 3 pirates fights with QTEs and at least 3 Kraken fights. Enjoy.

One of the "reviews" I read actually said the kraken fights come when the game starts to get stale and that they are refreshing.

I am on the second Kraken,the one that spits acid. Is there a way to speed this shit up or at least avoid his spit?

Seeker
In My Safe Space
You must execute precise manoeuvres. Meaning keep pressing w during the fight. Also don't forget to rmb to use another cannon. It seems to have greater range than the side cannons. Unfortunately there is no way of avoiding the fights, for a moment I considered downloading other people save games.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
There are at least 3 pirates fights with QTEs and at least 3 Kraken fights. Enjoy.

One of the "reviews" I read actually said the kraken fights come when the game starts to get stale and that they are refreshing.

I am on the second Kraken,the one that spits acid. Is there a way to speed this shit up or at least avoid his spit?

No.

Edit. :) Actually the solution is to move a lot and try to hit him with your lateral cannons.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Most of this thread seems to be people either quitting the game after a few hours or posting in relief that they are almost done with it. It sounds like even the Risen 2 fans couldn't stomach this one.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Most of this thread seems to be people either quitting the game after a few hours or posting in relief that they are almost done with it. It sounds like even the Risen 2 fans couldn't stomach this one.

Germans like it

RPGWatch - some like it / some not so much

I say: Solid game, bad combat, everything could be better if they optimized the game for the PC and for the old Gothic target group and not for console kiddies.

Tigranes

Arcane

I forgot about those. In my full playthrough I encountered 3 ship battles with krakens and 1 near-endgame boss that is a minigame. You can't count the ship boarding fights as QTE shit because it's just piss easy press button scenarios and most of it is actual fighting, and pretty fun ones at that. (Otherwise you'd have to say TW2 has 900 minigames.)

Anyway, fastest way to do the kraken shit = set game on easy, get close and hit with lateral cannons. Should only take 2-3 volleys. When Kraken goes underwater, it tends to swim in the direction it was going just before it hid, so go there. Should take less than 5 minutes.

Alfons

Prophet
I say: Solid game, bad combat, everything could be better if they optimized the game for the PC and for the old Gothic target group and not for console kiddies.
Maybe I am doing something wrong but I can't see how both of those things are possible.You can say you like the story which I guess I can sorta kinda not really understand but even if that's true it seems all you are doing most of the time is fighting shit.Whether you need to kill a shadow lord or bring someone a fuckin sandwich,you are fighting and you are fighting a lot of shit too.So if the combat is bad and about 70% of the game is combat,how the fuck does it end up being a solid game?

If you mean you enjoyed it that's fine but please note that if you enjoy a game that doesn't mean it's solid.I enjoyed Risen 2 but I knew it was shitty all along.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom