Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Zeriel

It's been a while since I played JA, I remember higher lightsaber offense/defense levels allowing you to deflect blaster shots better and giving you a better chance of prevailing in saber locks, I don't remember it affecting your swing patterns unless you mean light and strong styles for 1H lightsaber?

Zeriel

Arcane
Zeriel

It's been a while since I played JA, I remember higher lightsaber offense/defense levels allowing you to deflect blaster shots better and giving you a better chance of prevailing in saber locks, I don't remember it affecting your swing patterns unless you mean light and strong styles for 1H lightsaber?

It affected what happened when people of different lightsaber proficiency levels attacked each other.

Alfons

Prophet
What the fuck? No infinite parries, no excessive dodge. Not in G1, Not in G2, Not in R1. What is broken is handling larger scale battles or ranged combat.
I don't know how long it's been since you played the fuckin thing but parries are up the ass in that piece of shit.
Another retard fuckin thing that I forgot to mention is that the AI has the stupidest fuckin coding I ever saw in any game,it fuckin cheats!The AI reads your fuckin inputs and reacts accordingly,WTF! Mobs attack and dodge the second your finger tickles the LMB,you can exploit it by dodging to the side and the AI attacks forward to make it look like you timed it,if you haven't dodge it would just wait for you to attack.
The worst fuckin part is that Blade of Darkness while not an rpg has combat which is above and beyond anything PB has ever done and that shit came out in 2001! 8 fuckin years before risen.

And for the motherfuckers that say they wont play Dark Souls because it's a shitty port that can only be played with a controller,I understand you and having to get used to a controller is one of the shittiest experiences I ever had in my gaming career but it was fuckin worth it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Call me autist but hearing the main character cursing using modern curse words and expressions is really distracting. It even appears that the protagonist was born on some North American ghetto and decided cosplay like a pirate, the batman voice makes me puke too, what a lack of taste.

It's the typical German tone deafness Angthoron was talking about in the DOS review. Very annoying.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Call me autist but hearing the main character cursing using modern curse words and expressions is really distracting. It even appears that the protagonist was born on some North American ghetto and decided cosplay like a pirate, the batman voice makes me puke too, what a lack of taste.

It's the typical German tone deafness Angthoron was talking about in the DOS review. Very annoying.

Larian is Belgian, a big chunk of their staff is from the UK, and the office language is strictly English. And Angthoron just said "tone deafness", not "German tone deafness".

By the way, Gothic 1's use of modern day curse words was hailed as one of its distinctive features in the German press and helped to sell the game.

Tigranes

Arcane
What the fuck? No infinite parries, no excessive dodge. Not in G1, Not in G2, Not in R1. What is broken is handling larger scale battles or ranged combat.
I don't know how long it's been since you played the fuckin thing but parries are up the ass in that piece of shit.
Another retard fuckin thing that I forgot to mention is that the AI has the stupidest fuckin coding I ever saw in any game,it fuckin cheats!The AI reads your fuckin inputs and reacts accordingly,WTF! Mobs attack and dodge the second your finger tickles the LMB,you can exploit it by dodging to the side and the AI attacks forward to make it look like you timed it,if you haven't dodge it would just wait for you to attack.
The worst fuckin part is that Blade of Darkness while not an rpg has combat which is above and beyond anything PB has ever done and that shit came out in 2001! 8 fuckin years before risen.

And for the motherfuckers that say they wont play Dark Souls because it's a shitty port that can only be played with a controller,I understand you and having to get used to a controller is one of the shittiest experiences I ever had in my gaming career but it was fuckin worth it.

Playing R1 right now. Played G1 & G2 within last 4 months. There are multiple standardised ways in which parries can be broken for each game, whether it is a power attack, riposte, or timing. They can keep parrying if you just keep attacking them again and again. What do you expect? They're just going to stop blocking? But wait, you say enemies dodge the second you attack, so which is it, are they dodging or parrying or what? In none of the games do enemies always attack forward when you dodge. E.g. in R1 that is one reliable way of confounding them, but that is often because you dodged just as they attack (pressing WASD twice takes time) - as evidenced by many many occasions where you sidestep and they don't attack you.

You have no fucking idea.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Excuuuuse me? Combat was pretty terrible objectively in Risen, and Gothic too. In the times of Gothic all action RPGs had terrible terrible combat, so we got used to it and didn't mind/notice. I suspect people only care now because they're comparing it to stuff like Dark Souls.
Haven't plaid Dark Souls, but suspect this is true. Lot of nostalgiafags here. Combat in both gothics was SHIT. As well as in Risen. I haven't experienced a single arpg where combat is satisfactory and gothic games don't pop up in mind as exceptions. I CAN imagine that Pyranha could make it even worse, though.

Btw, i just recontinued an old save from G1, where protag is in the s.c. ''orc cemetery'' and all i do there is hold LM and swing the sword from left to right. Because all other options are even worse. Snap out of it, gothicfags. Yes, the old games had better atmosphere, but combat was shit as ever.

Last edited:

Alfons

Prophet
Playing R1 right now. Played G1 & G2 within last 4 months. There are multiple standardised ways in which parries can be broken for each game, whether it is a power attack, riposte, or timing. They can keep parrying if you just keep attacking them again and again. What do you expect? They're just going to stop blocking? But wait, you say enemies dodge the second you attack, so which is it, are they dodging or parrying or what? In none of the games do enemies always attack forward when you dodge. E.g. in R1 that is one reliable way of confounding them, but that is often because you dodged just as they attack (pressing WASD twice takes time) - as evidenced by many many occasions where you sidestep and they don't attack you.
You have no fucking idea.

I said in the first fuckin post no effective way to break their guard,winding up for a power attack leaves you open for five fuckin hours,most enemies can attack you the second you start initiate a standard attack.
Riposte doesn't break the guard it counters a hit,are you fuckin high?
Timing,right, for some reason I can execute the combo perfectly but the asshole still parries every hit.
I expect them to have a limit on how much they can block or to have a non shitty way to break the block or have a way to get around the block.
But wait a second wolves dodge the second you attack and the porcupine motherfuckers jump on your ass the second you attack.I didn't dodge as they attacked,the attack animation starts and finishes when I am already dodging to the side.
I never dodge an actual attack in this shitty game but I dodged a lot of them,wtf do I mean you ask?Here it is,I never predict an attack by visual cues but! Mobs attack while I am dodging not the other way around,if you can't pick up on that then I don't know what to tell you,I guess you suck at action games.

I do know what I'm fuckin talking about ,you just need to stop sucking this games cock,it's disgusting.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Out of all action RPGs ive played Risen 1 had the best combat. It's satisfying, needs some tactics and skill, and the progression is very nice.

Tigranes

Arcane
Alfons

'Timing,right, for some reason I can execute the combo perfectly but the asshole still parries every hit.'

You mean the 'combo' where you hit LMB 3 times in a row? This isn't street fighter, you're just swinging the sword 3 times. If you hit him the first time because of good timing you will liekly hit with one or two more, as expected. If you 'execute the combo perfectly' on a ready and alert enemy of course he's going to block it.

'I didn't dodge as they attacked,the attack animation starts and finishes when I am already dodging to the side.'

The code has no way of knowing you are doing a sidestep in R1 until you press WSAD a SECOND time, and if the wolf begins attacking when you press the second time, then it is already a bit late. In order for the wolf to attack fast enough to hit you WHILE you are still dodging, it will have had to begin attacking before you have actually completed the keyboard inputs for dodge. Furthermore, the number of times enemies do not attack when you dodge or when you move to the side normally...

Anyway let me get this straight. You complain that there is no effective way to break parrires, you complain power attacks take too long, you complain your combos are blocked by the enemy... but you do know how to use dodge and sidestep to lure enemies into attacking, but at the same time you think this is a stupid cheating AI... and after all that you think you are fucking good at this game, and I must be rubbish at it, because I am arguing that there are actually effective ways to break parries, power attack, etc?

I'm sorry, I had no idea. You must be completely correct!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Out of all action RPGs ive played Risen 1 had the best combat. It's satisfying, needs some tactics and skill, and the progression is very nice.

How the fuck did you managed to win the "possibly retarded" tag in 300 posts?

Alfons

Prophet
You mean the 'combo' where you hit LMB 3 times in a row? This isn't street fighter, you're just swinging the sword 3 times. If you hit him the first time because of good timing you will liekly hit with one or two more, as expected. If you 'execute the combo perfectly' on a ready and alert enemy of course he's going to block it.
Fuck me,I know more about the fuckin game then you.Combo-combination of strikes,hitting 3 times with the sword is a combo after those 3 strikes you have a delay before you can strike again,there is even a skill that let's you initiate an infinite amount of blows without delay.It's not expected because the presses need to be timed.I thought the gothicfags praised this fuckin mechanic.

The code has no way of knowing you are doing a sidestep in R1 until you press WSAD a SECOND time, and if the wolf begins attacking when you press the second time, then it is already a bit late. In order for the wolf to attack fast enough to hit you WHILE you are still dodging, it will have had to begin attacking before you have actually completed the keyboard inputs for dodge. Furthermore, the number of times enemies do not attack when you dodge or when you move to the side normally...
Well fuck,I guess I'm a magician because I just press a hold a directional button and hit space,MAGIC!
I see you are slow so let me reiterate my point.You never dodge because someone attacked you,you dodged and the game made it look like you dodged an attack by making the mob attack when it's too late.You are right by saying they don't always do it but they do it enough times per encounter to see that it's happening.I never dodged an attack and frankly I don't see how it's even possible since the animation is so quick and there is no tell or windup.

Anyway let me get this straight. You complain that there is no effective way to break parrires, you complain power attacks take too long, you complain your combos are blocked by the enemy... but you do know how to use dodge and sidestep to lure enemies into attacking, but at the same time you think this is a stupid cheating AI... and after all that you think you are fucking good at this game, and I must be rubbish at it, because I am arguing that there are actually effective ways to break parries, power attack, etc?
The answer is yes to most of the above.The way you are judged is by your performance,I can go explore areas fairly early and almost never get hit.
You must be rubbish because you don't pick up on fairly obvious details,that indicates to me that you are probably not very good at action games,you might be the shit in this game ,I don't know and don't care.

I'm sorry, I had no idea. You must be completely correct!
Apology accepted.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I like how you all listed the multitude of games with better combat thatn Risen.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ Fair critique. But the guy above you with Derp Souls... meh... no thanks. Derp Souls combat is far too telegraphed/slow/deliberate to be enjoyable. It's less combat and more of a timing puzzle.

Alfons

Prophet
^ Fair critique. But the guy above you with Derp Souls... meh... no thanks. Derp Souls combat is far too telegraphed/slow/deliberate to be enjoyable. It's less combat and more of a timing puzzle.
All the best 3rd person action games can be boiled down to timing puzzles,be it DMC or Bayonneta. In Dark souls it's easy to run away but actually staying close and doing damage while not getting fucked up is difficult since you need to use the iframes.If use the biggest shields the combat is kinda slow,not really.

Zeriel

Arcane
All the best 3rd person action games can be boiled down to timing puzzles,be it DMC or Bayonneta. In Dark souls it's easy to run away but actually staying close and doing damage while not getting fucked up is difficult since you need to use the iframes.If use the biggest shields the combat is kinda slow,not really.

Yeah, but timing puzzles in action games are always more interesting and thrilling when they happen at a speed that isn't glacial. Dark Souls just tries too hard to make things "fair", but of course people's tastes differ.

There are plenty of action games that execute the same concept as Dark Souls but do it much, much quicker.

Alfons

Prophet
Yeah, but timing puzzles in action games are always more interesting and thrilling when they happen at a speed that isn't glacial. Dark Souls just tries too hard to make things "fair", but of course people's tastes differ.

There are plenty of action games that execute the same concept as Dark Souls but do it much, much quicker.
Fair enough,I think that dark souls makes up for that by punishing errors much more because damage is so high.
Any games on PC that you can name?

Zeriel

Arcane

Fair enough,I think that dark souls makes up for that by punishing errors much more because damage is so high.
Any games on PC that you can name?

Not really, the good ones are all console games, because PC doesn't really do "hardcore" action games.

Darksiders 2 is close if you play on the max difficulty, but you can only unlock that max difficulty by beating the game once on the tertiary to max difficulty level, so fuck it.

I'd agree with the basic dichotomy that Dark Souls replaces a lot of twitch skills with an unforgiving approach. In other words, its way easier to make the right decision, but if you fail to make it, you're basically screwed. Other action games make it a lot harder to play perfectly, but don't require you to play perfectly ALL the time.

Godhand is a sort of relevant example of what you get when you marry "don't screw up" with "also don't be a paraplegic with no reflexes, loser".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom