Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Risen gone and got reviewed

MapMan

Arcane
After few hours of non stop playing I noticed some stuttering. I guess there are some memory leaks or something. Rebooted the pc and everything works fine again.

eggsackly

Novice
i have a nvidia 8600 gts and it runs on medium at 20-45 frames outdoors. after 10-15 minutes the framerate drops to 10-20 and it doesn't get any better when reducing the quality further... :?

anyway, feels like gothic 2 with a slightly better combat system. the harbour town, the factions, the quests...very gothicesque.

Felix

Arcane
Still waiting for my copy :(

I just lurked Risen Xbawks gamefaqs board because I have nothing better to do, apparently if you can't kill multiple enemies at level 1 the game must sucks and watered down version of TES :(

A user named cat

I found the fix on the PC Risen forum at Gamefaqs.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=952152&topic=51583566

It worked for me, all that microstuttering seems to be gone for now. I don't know how it'll hold up for a longer playing session though. Another thing someone suggested is disabling physx in your video card settings, but I'm not sure you could do that in the older drivers.

There seems to be quite a few files in the ini folder that can be tweaked but I don't really understand them well. I'm sure once the game is released globally there will be some patching and fan work.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I wanted to like this, but dare I say the game is boring. I mean, it's a copy of the previous games. But not in a new and exciting way, but in a, this is just more of the same way. There are absolutely no new features in this game, not even better graphics really. The only thing different about this game and previous gothics is it has been tweaked a little more, and they have tightened up the interface.

Same old quest types, same old faction crap, and so on.

Put it this way, I was playing Gothic 3 just before Risen and got bored down in the desert towns, and after getting this game, I got bored as if I was still playing gothic 3.

I'm playing at 800x600 but it messes up my interface, and I can't see the bad guys health bars.

Well Scordo's kicking my arse because of the fact that he kills me in 3 hits whereas I to whack him 25 times, really hate that artificial difficulty and my summoned skeleton just stands around monging out. Pain in the neck.

Twinkle

Liturgist
There is a way to force AA with latest drivers (nVidia) using nHancer. Set AA compatibility to "00000245: Vanguard". Performance hit is huge, however.

Too bad the game is really boring so far.

A user named cat

If you went into this expecting an entirely different experience from PB, it's your own fault. I'm pretty sure most fans asked them for another game just like their previous efforts and they delivered. I'm not finding it boring at all and am quite enjoying the challenge and exploration. There was nothing wrong with the older Gothic formula aside from a clunky inventory system which has been addressed, so why change it? This is as good as action RPGs get.

MapMan

Arcane
I noticed that NPCs sometimes get in an infinite pathfinding loop, causing massive performance drop. Also, I dont know if its a bug or not but heres a little spoiler:

I am in the swamps, bandit village. I want to get rid of the Borgan or whatever his name is. The one who wants to take over Dons throne. To do that, amongst other things, I need to challenge him to the arena. To do so, I need to win with all his best figters. I won with 2 of the 3 fighters but the third one Lazardo or something doesnt want to fight me. I knocked him unconscious before(part of a quest as well) and he doent respond to me. There's not even that generic 'response' when I click on him. Nothing. Anyone experienced similiar problem? Im kinda stuck in the village, I did everything I could, no one wants to tell me something new or anything.

EDIT: I put a sword trough Borgars back. It worked :cool:

A user named cat

The biggest bug I've found is still the audio one. I also hate how you hear daytime birds still at night. They really goofed on some of the ambience.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Someone do an official Codex review. Once you've finished the game, of course.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
If you went into this expecting an entirely different experience from PB, it's your own fault.

I WAS expecting a similar type of game, but that doesn't excuse the complete and utter disregard for creativity.

The game doesn't look like it's just giving fans more of what they want, it looks like Jeff Vogel type of work. They either made the game exactly the same, because they lack the skills to make anything else, they are lazy, or it's about money. All valid reasons, since it's their game, but as a consumer I am disappointed. I sure am not going to be interested in anything else from them unless its a departure from this cookie cutter, cut and paste design.

I swear even the animations are exactly the same; the guys carrying barrels, the guys sweeping... They also used some of the same places and types of NPC's. A town drunk, a brothel, a monastery. I'm sure other people could make more connections, as I've only played the game a short while.

Human on human combat is really quite poor, I'm on a guy who is taking 10 minutes to beat simply because he blocks all of my attacks and when I do get a hit in it only does a slither of damage, that's just bad design.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Or you're taking on someone who's way above your level. What disappoints me most is the story so far. I honestly expected something better than what I'm seeing. Storywise Gothic 1 with the whole prison mentality thing was rather interesting. Gothic 2 was the most boring with its army of dragons and all. But at least it was pretty clear that you were the one who would have to take care of it. Gothic 3 had orcs whom had actually taken over most of the land and a king under siege. Which was pretty refreshing for a change.

This however just feels meh so far. No real incentive to join a faction (although I like how one actually pressgangs you when given the chance. Very well done.) and so far I can't really be bothered to care about the ruins and all as well.

No it's (Alvin ?) the staff trainer in the Monastery, I'm level 5 and handled the previous 3 fights no probs, this is simply cobbler's.

fastpunk

Arbiter
For anyone interested in the game, it seems a demo has just been released, according to RPG Watch at least. It should be popping up here and there in a few hours.

A user named cat

vazquez595654 said:
I WAS expecting a similar type of game, but that doesn't excuse the complete and utter disregard for creativity.
They created a fresh new world with Gothic material, I don't see the problem. Maybe they didn't feel the need to come up with new animations and such, why fix what isn't broken? Bethesda did it with Fallout 3 and no Beth fans were bitching. So fans of PB shouldn't be complaining either. Just think of this as Risothic and move on if that doesn't please you. I know I'll be forking out the $40 for it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You know, I sincerely hope that Risen will get a lot of sales, because that will show that you don't need INNOVASHUN!!!, handholding, QTEs, dark, grim and mature themes to make a successful RPG, not to mention catering to a more or less niche audience.

Lord_Rius

Novice
EXTRACT STRINGS.PAK OR ANY RISEN .PAK

Hello guys, anybody knows how to extract content of strings.pak for translations purposes?
i tried every compresor decompresor tool and any pak explorer, extractor

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom