Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen - the last two chapters.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I also did the melee character but only ended up with 157 Strength in the end. I never did crafting but got good at scribing scrolls. My original intent despite knowing that PB doesn't make balanced spell casters was to become one. Of course, I made a moral decision and went with the path I'd chosen. I thought a particular faction were a bunch of dicks. Good 'larping' there.

What's interesting to me is that one of my childhood friends from twenty years ago is hanging out with me. He used to be a DM and knows (sitill owns the manuals) AD&D. He has a PS3 and apparently Demon Souls but comes by every week to play Risen. He was surprised when doing a B&E, he got his ass kicked, or when testing the waters in the swamp, got his ass kicked, or hanging out with the wrong guy, got his ass kicked.

It's hard for me not to meta-game for him but honestly, whats the second best thing you can do after playing a PB game? Answer: watch a virgin do it.

He fucking swears at my monitor, curses the controls, hates the assholes that fuck him over. It's a great chuckle. I'm lucky I get to watch someone like that struggle through that hell. It's almost incomparable. I have no idea which path he's going to take, right now he's cranking up dex and crossbows, something that I'd never considered. It's awesome.

Unfortunately, I've played it and don't ever re-do games like this unless it's been a few years. I just recentely got G2NoTR installed after my first play through around five years ago. I think I've forgotten enough details but honestly, I can remember every map. That's the bummer with a good game, it doesn't matter how wasted you are, it's going to burn into your mind.

Sort of like why I really will never understand the Morrow/Oblivion/Skyrim crowd. It doesn't compare. Nothing can compare. I just installed DDO on a few computers in my house and two of us played it. I thought it was mediocre, I've read a few of the rules. It's okay. Pretty easy at first (we did about eight hours). But seriously? Either you 'get' Gothic or you don't. If you do, then it's a bummer because all othe the other action games seem like shit afterwards.

So, I'll try a replay of G2 and in the meantime and live vicariously through my buddy once or twice a week. I'm not sure if I'm blessing him or forever ruining his future gaming experiences.

Cheers

Twinkle

Liturgist
CreamyBlood, you can join our little Brotherhood of Butthurt if you are interested in playing with fellow codexers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom