Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG modders continue to be retarded turds

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

Multi-headed Cow

I apologize for an Escapist link, but it's what I found when trying to google up the recent Morrowind 2011 mod pack.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... Complaints
TLDR summary: Dude makes a mod compilation, modders threaten to sue BECAUSE THAT IS ILLEGAL. :x :x :x

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Didn't know you can sue over a mod. I was always under the impression that Bethesda more or less owned all the mods? Not that I ever knew how mod ownership worked.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I wonder if the sense of bloated self-importance is hereditary with modders and other internet celebrities.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hobo Elf said:
Didn't know you can sue over a mod. I was always under the impression that Bethesda more or less owned all the mods? Not that I ever knew how mod ownership worked.

Bethesda owns the rights to files made by the construction set, but sound and graphics files made by modders is another matter.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Hobo Elf said:
Didn't know you can sue over a mod.
Sure you can. However mods depend on developers acting nicely and not outlawing public distribution of mods/create lawsuit for unauthorized modification of SW. Look at derivative work part of the copyright law. (Of course they added some licence into the EULA, but as long as EULAs are not enforceable, the derivative work law is more important.)

Of course using mods at home is completely fine. As long as you can do other illegal activities at home without any problems.

Dude makes a mod compilation, modders threaten to sue BECAUSE THAT IS ILLEGAL
This is reason why I dislike modders. They tend to become arrogant, or some jerks appear because of fame, and all that originally "we are doing it free of charge for everyone" quickly disappears.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Trash said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I wonder if the sense of bloated self-importance is hereditary with modders and other internet celebrities.

Autism is just the beginning of the problems these people usually have.
Hey!

No, I'm not actually offended at all, just playing the role bro.

Ozzy_98

Novice
Hobo Elf said:
Didn't know you can sue over a mod.
You can sue cause someone oversalted your french frys. Just have to be lucky that they don't throw the case out and you get a judge who wants to be a star by having a rulling on such a stupid case.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Nice, been wanting to try Morrowind, but alway got lost in the mod-jungle, and I was turned off by vanilla.

racofer said:
DU should host this on the Codex's servers and put a big link in bold letters at the front page.

Most definetely. That would be pretty awesome, and truly bro-like :thumbsup:

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
What a bunch of stupid cunts. I guess I'll download it before all sources go down. Thanks for the links Konjad!

racofer said:
DU should host this on the Codex's servers and put a big link in bold letters at the front page.

That would be most appropriate.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The author of Morrowind 2011 has made new website where you can read about all the news involving this mod package. He is going to redo the compendium, this time without mods which authors weren't happy to see their work included in Morrowind 2011.

CrimHead

Scholar
According to an email posted on 4chan, the modders want it "removed from the internet"

Let me repeat that.

Removed.

From the internet.

Yeah...

Baron

Arcane
Christ, why the surprise that they might want to control the product of the hundreds of hours of their creativity and labour? Most modders get nothing back from their work, they have to be satisfied when 0.001% of downloaders bothers to comment on the forum and say thanks. And some guy who never even bothered to contact them is going to steal even that lowly compensation?

Sue him then mod his face onto a nude tranny pack.

Eyeball

Arcane
Judging from that screenshot, this mod compilation is primarily cosmetic.

Disappointing. I wouldn't mind picking up Morrowind again as it's one of the best games of the 2000s, but "not being pretty enough" was most definitely not one of its flaws.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^Fantastic

Baron said:
Christ, why the surprise that they might want to control the product of the hundreds of hours of their creativity and labour? Most modders get nothing back from their work, they have to be satisfied when 0.001% of downloaders bothers to comment on the forum and say thanks. And some guy who never even bothered to contact them is going to steal even that lowly compensation?

Sue him then mod his face onto a nude tranny pack.

They don't create their mods so people can play them? I am... surprised.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom