Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rumor: Bethesda has been in turmoil since the death of their CEO

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Disco Elysium has the best setting and worldbuilding out of any RPG released in the last 10 years.
i think DE is the freshest game setting in a while, but that's mostly due to the art style. Not just the painterly look but also the design of things like the armor, guns and cars.

It's bizarre to see Underrail praised for its setting, of all things. I guess there are enough closet train autists here.
Underrail's setting requires a bit of digging for it to really get interesting. With a little exploration and curiosity, it quickly goes from Get-The-McGuffin: Railroad Edition to something truly bizarre and fascinating. The best part is that you are still required to put the pieces of the puzzle together once you find them, instead of having some dickhead NPC spoon feed it to you. It is kind of like the Pale in DE. You can easily beat the game without really comprehending the situation, but once you do it puts a whole different spin on the setting.
Biggest cope I've seen in a while, there is nothing fascinating or bizarre about Underrail.
The game is just an endless stream of Fetch or Kill quests until you become highly leveled to unlock new capacities to enjoy more the Kill X and the FedEx quests.
The story has nothing good to brag about.
Is it wrong of me to enjoy FedEx quests? What else should the quests be?
Don't do that. Your statement gives off the impression what he's saying is true when it couldn't be further from it. I can pull up a list of Underrail's quests right now and the vast majority of the big ones have nothing to do with FedExing shit.
So as someone who has never played Underrail, I gather that the lore is akin to FromSoftware titles (i.e. Souls titles, but also Elden Ring I guess) in terms of narrative design?
if by "fromsoft narrative design" you mean hiding the crucial info in a description of "Godwyn's tattered pants" then no.

All you have to do is to pay attention to what NPCs are saying, read occasional readables, and complete all sidequests (some of which are well hidden or mutually exclusive, thus couldn't be completed in a single playthrough).
There are more subtle things than just that. Many important and interesting things are hidden behind different character builds, faction choices, and certain quests/hidden areas. You also have to connect the dots and piece together information that you've collected over the course of the game to figure out things several times throughout the game.

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
if by "fromsoft narrative design" you mean hiding the crucial info in a description of "Godwyn's tattered pants" then no.

All you have to do is to pay attention to what NPCs are saying, read occasional readables, and complete all sidequests (some of which are well hidden or mutually exclusive, thus couldn't be completed in a single playthrough).
An ideal worldbuilding would be context clues, sparse dialogues, mainly from older npcs, because the older people get the more they like to talk about the old days, and good level design. eg I knew Thief isn't just a medieval fantasy, because streets are lit with electricity.

Delterius

Arcane
Who is the rathound king? What is his motivation, pathos, ethos, where did he come from, what does he eat?

If underrail can answer these questions then perhaps it's a good setting after all.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Haha, Starfield is delayed.
giphy.gif

None

Scholar
Disco Elysium has the best setting and worldbuilding out of any RPG released in the last 10 years.
i think DE is the freshest game setting in a while, but that's mostly due to the art style. Not just the painterly look but also the design of things like the armor, guns and cars.

It's bizarre to see Underrail praised for its setting, of all things. I guess there are enough closet train autists here.
Underrail's setting requires a bit of digging for it to really get interesting. With a little exploration and curiosity, it quickly goes from Get-The-McGuffin: Railroad Edition to something truly bizarre and fascinating. The best part is that you are still required to put the pieces of the puzzle together once you find them, instead of having some dickhead NPC spoon feed it to you. It is kind of like the Pale in DE. You can easily beat the game without really comprehending the situation, but once you do it puts a whole different spin on the setting.
Biggest cope I've seen in a while, there is nothing fascinating or bizarre about Underrail.
The game is just an endless stream of Fetch or Kill quests until you become highly leveled to unlock new capacities to enjoy more the Kill X and the FedEx quests.
The story has nothing good to brag about.
A reminder that Ryzer got filtered by Underrail and never even made it past Depot A. The Frenchman once again got hoodwinked by the Serb and bit off more than he could chew.

KateMicucci

Arcane
There are more subtle things than just that. Many important and interesting things are hidden behind different character builds, faction choices, and certain quests/hidden areas. You also have to connect the dots and piece together information that you've collected over the course of the game to figure out things several times throughout the game.
Ok, but it's still an ugly game about crawling through brown and gray tunnels. It's one giant sewer level. All the hidden or not hidden lore doesn't change that the setting we actually see and experience is hideous and boring.

You remind me of my old friend who was obsessed with a dumb monster movie called Cloverfield. He insisted that I watch it, and afterwards I said, dude, this movie blows. NO! he said, there's actually tons of really deep lore to the movie, you just have to look for all the hidden messages in the marketting material and hidden pages on the movie's website, and you'll see that the soft drink company in japan that the main character worked for was actually lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ok, I said, that sounds really irrelevant and all, but none of it was in the movie. NO! he said, you're wrong, and he showed me the final scene from the movie, and told me to squint really hard, and indeed, deep in the horizon, you could see about two seconds of a meteor falling. Somehow in his mind something about this two seconds of meteor redeemed the entire crappy movie for him.

Skorpion

Educated
Ok, but it's still an ugly game about crawling through brown and gray tunnels. It's one giant sewer level. All the hidden or not hidden lore doesn't change that the setting we actually see and experience is hideous and boring.

You remind me of my old friend who was obsessed with a dumb monster movie called Cloverfield. He insisted that I watch it, and afterwards I said, dude, this movie blows. NO! he said, there's actually tons of really deep lore to the movie, you just have to look for all the hidden messages in the marketting material and hidden pages on the movie's website, and you'll see that the soft drink company in japan that the main character worked for was actually lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ok, I said, that sounds really irrelevant and all, but none of it was in the movie. NO! he said, you're wrong, and he showed me the final scene from the movie, and told me to squint really hard, and indeed, deep in the horizon, you could see about two seconds of a meteor falling. Somehow in his mind something about this two seconds of meteor redeemed the entire crappy movie for him.
Thank you for this explanation. I only watched that movie once and came away with a big "wtf" and now youve redeemed it for me.
No, I will not be rewatching it, carpe diem and all that.

oblivionenjoyer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

An ideal worldbuilding would be context clues, sparse dialogues, mainly from older npcs, because the older people get the more they like to talk about the old days, and good level design. eg I knew Thief isn't just a medieval fantasy, because streets are lit with electricity.
That's what Disco Elysium is like, honestly. The only characters who really dump lore on you are two old fucks and the one racially autistic guy. Just like IRL.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Again, demonstrably wrong and laughably retarded. Underrail's color palette is varied and very attractive to the eye. This is coming from someone who is extremely sensitive to a poor color palette. Just look at some screenshots.
1681248687490.png

402613baf438f7bacd04e52e11a4ec534c365d9042ed901b9a09b1b3f2ff8123.jpg

52334c552c6ba2f8096f5721b904277a3ac2a3cfbdc2c0e2c54857b454a09d74.jpg

ec7b90f89de0bc0eccb5e7f14d0c6d910c49f7bb22266de17f5a013edc12d4e2.jpg

28b17803b14e46e20b9000901732bdadb0f4d4f03e4cb8310b0dfbe76a78dcfd.jpg

41617af7cbdc140ca36ad56795db2a596f6d8f4f0f74b1948235d6bb859a9438.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
Also, the majority of the game takes place outside of "tunnels" and "sewers". If you don't play the game you might as well just admit it, because with comments like this you're not fooling anyone. I swear, out of any other game, Underrail is the one where I've seen the most amount of people run their mouth and claim things that are so obviously wrong to anyone who has played only half the game much less the entire game. I'm pretty sure most of these people just got filtered hard and never made it past Depot A. They're too ashamed to admit it so they spread lies about what they hope the game is so they don't have to feel sad they didn't get to experience one of the greatest RPGs of all time.
You're retarded and your anecdote does not make sense in the context of the game. The lore is "in the movie" so to speak. The lore is not irrelevant, it's literally in the game and they are all quite substantial and interesting, not weird, uninteresting, obscure facts. If you want to make the claim that it doesn't matter that they implemented a great way to learn about the lore because the lore and setting themselves are shit, that's fine. You'd be exposing yourself as a sufferer of down syndrome, but at least that would be a logically coherent argument to make instead of whatever the fuck you just tried to do with that shitty anecdote.

You remind me of a homeless guy I saw the other week. He was face down ass up behind a dumpster, pants around his knees, covered in excrement.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
You're retarded and your anecdote does not make sense in the context of the game. The lore is "in the movie" so to speak.
you're supposed to be a zoomer why are you a fan of cloverfield
What? I put "in the movie" in quotes to indicate I was talking about Underrail, not Cloverfield. You don't have to look at a website to find Underrail's lore is my point, so his example is shit.

Delterius

Arcane
You're retarded and your anecdote does not make sense in the context of the game. The lore is "in the movie" so to speak.
you're supposed to be a zoomer why are you a fan of cloverfield
I was talking about Underrail, not Cloverfield.
there is no way someone would feel strongly about psy fallout you're clearly defending the honor of cloverfield and make no mistake: i stand with you

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
fanbots of underrail, the game where you squash rats in sewers while walking slowly, are one of the most remarkable examples of reality bending of this age
You enjoyed ELEX. If anyone is bending reality it's you. I have no clue why so many Polish people are so obsessed with the shit Piranha Bytes puts out. Perhaps it is a form of intermittent stockholm syndrome, passed onto you from your relatives that managed to survive the second world war.

Ryzer

Arcane
fanbots of underrail, the game where you squash rats in sewers while walking slowly, are one of the most remarkable examples of reality bending of this age
You enjoyed ELEX. If anyone is bending reality it's you. I have no clue why so many Polish people are so obsessed with the shit Piranha Bytes puts out. Perhaps it is a form of intermittent stockholm syndrome, passed onto you from your relatives that managed to survive the second world war.
You may not like it but ELEX is much much better than Underrail.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Again, demonstrably wrong and laughably retarded. Underrail's color palette is varied and very attractive to the eye. This is coming from someone who is extremely sensitive to a poor color palette. Just look at some screenshots.
But these are all tunnels and sewers? I will grant you though, yes there is some green stuff in the sewer water.

You remind me of a homeless guy I saw the other week. He was face down ass up behind a dumpster, pants around his knees, covered in excrement.
I don't really see the relevance of your love life to the conversation.

Or are you talking about a character in underrail? Sounds like a character in underrail.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Underrail is interesting in how it takes everything underwhelming of fallout, tunnels and rats, and makes it so much more engaging to play. It is hard to make solo rpg difficult.
Problem is, everything people actually liked fallouts for it just kinda forgot. But rats it had plenty.
While aod did it in a mirror fashion: take what they thought was best, but dump useless stuff like, heh, freedom to walk around n loot things. Ending up with a cyoa.
Ah, the masterpieces. So simple at a glance, but still always far away.

Ryzer

Arcane
Underrail is interesting in how it takes everything underwhelming of fallout, tunnels and rats, and makes it so much more engaging to play.
The only engaging thing about Underrail is the combat but it's also shit due to everything having cooldowns, the only appealing thing about Underrail is the build autism behind it, just like POE go on Underrail-centralautism.com and select the build some autists made for you. Arcanum's turn-based combat is simply better because it has no cooldown.

Shadenuat

Arcane
What autism, it is only a fair amount more complex than fallouts due to crafteng and psionics. Make something reasonable and play.

Man you take a break from dex return and it is like it was replaced by bizzaro version of itself. Everyone lost half iq, there was war against lolis, and generic giant spider is nowhere to be found.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom