Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rumor: ELEX 3 cancelled, Piranha Bytes to be shut down by THQ Nordic

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I doubt they 'have' that money. They can't simply carry that grant over to some new entity if they get closed by Nordic.

From Nordic perspective, if they gonna close the studio anyway wouldn't it just better to "let them go", as in dunno sell it for 1 Euro to the PB owner? That way PB can still exist (I assume in German they are their own legal entitiy still even when owned Nordic), get the German grant money, and Nordic don't need to pay for severance?

Assuming that PB workers still want to exist as PB alongside their obligations (I assume delivering a game as part of that German grant?)?

scytheavatar

Scholar
I doubt they 'have' that money. They can't simply carry that grant over to some new entity if they get closed by Nordic.

From Nordic perspective, if they gonna close the studio anyway wouldn't it just better to "let them go", as in dunno sell it for 1 Euro to the PB owner? That way PB can still exist (I assume in German they are their own legal entitiy still even when owned Nordic), get the German grant money, and Nordic don't need to pay for severance?

Assuming that PB workers still want to exist as PB alongside their obligations (I assume delivering a game as part of that German grant?)?

Problem is, who wants to buy PB for 1 euro? They are a money sink and even 1 euro is a ripoff for them.

Peachcurl

Cipher

Problem is, who wants to buy PB for 1 euro? They are a money sink and even 1 euro is a ripoff for them.
Some of the PB guys themselves could?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

PB had already won some case about retaining the rights to their IP (Gothic). I believe it was back in the day when they broke up with JoWood (not sure though). Hopefully, they will find a way, again.

REhorror

Educated
Legit wonder: can we somehow make the Gothic 2-look but in Unreal or similar engine?

Codelet here.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Legit wonder: can we somehow make the Gothic 2-look but in Unreal or similar engine?

Codelet here.
The look is mostly based on art style, so that should be possible. You can also use low poly models and janky animations for extra authenticity. It will be interesting to see how the Gothic 1 remake will turn out in the end. If they manage to capture the style of the first game in a modern engine, then we will have a proof of concept.

REhorror

Educated

Codelet here.
The look is mostly based on art style, so that should be possible. You can also use low poly models and janky animations for extra authenticity. It will be interesting to see how the Gothic 1 remake will turn out in the end. If they manage to capture the style of the first game in a modern engine, then we will have a proof of concept.
Gothic 1 remake looks like they want to destroy art style, instead of everyone looking like boxy gym goers, everyone is lanky as fuck.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
You are german, you speak Arabic therefore you should search the grant conditions on that website.

Elzair

Cipher
So is PB completely shut down or can they potentially get out of this (again)?

Peachcurl

Cipher
You are german, you speak Arabic therefore you should search the grant conditions on that website.
I can indeed read Arabic numerals, so I'll gladly help you out whenever you point me to the respective website that has those grant conditions.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I can indeed read Arabic numerals, so I'll gladly help you out whenever you point me to the respective website that has those grant conditions.
You are useless.

https://www.bmwk.de/Redaktion/DE/Do...ing-guidelines.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=4

4.4. The funding recipient is obliged to submit the game for evaluation for age rating in compliance with
the relevant provisions of the Youth Protection Act. If the game is not subjected to age rating, the
funding provider shall demand repayment of the grant

5.1. Grants for project funding are awarded as non-repayable subsidies in the form of pro rata funding. A
prerequisite for this is that the recipient makes an own contribution calculated as a function of the
funding rate granted. The own resources committed must amount to at least 10% of the eligible costs

8.1. As part of the review of expenditure reports, the grant-awarding authority will conduct performance
monitoring of the respective funding
measure in accordance with point 11 a.1 of VV-BHO on section
44 of BHO. Performance monitoring will also be conducted with respect to the overarching objectives
of these Funding Guidelines.

I don't understand the legalese but I think they do have access to that money and they have to deliver something otherwise they have to repay the grant.

I guess this is the only reason why THQ Nordic didn't close them already. Based on their statement "do whatever it takes to find a partner for this project" I think THQ Nordic is willing to let them go ... in case another publisher is willing to provide the additional funding.

This grant could be a blessing in disguise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom