Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rumor: ELEX 3 cancelled, Piranha Bytes to be shut down by THQ Nordic

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I also harbor suspicions that any serious CRPGer who can't deal with jank is in fact a zoomer in disguise.

Morrowind is janky also but much better than ELEX

For ELEX it was dumb dialogue, constantly interrupting cutscenes, dumb story, dumb writing, bland factions, shit itemization, console UI, which ruined it

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
constantly interrupting cutscenes

how to show you haven't played the game in three words

I played it. You are the biggest defender of ELEX, but your only arguments are memes and empty patriotism. I can understand that but its not a very good game. If it really was, then ELEX 2 wouldnt bomb and the company wouldnt be destroyed. The players arent blind.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You are the biggest defender of ELEX, but your only arguments are memes

Yes. Because I never wrote a huge-ass review for it.

Also, hard to produce counter-arguments to nuggets of wisdom such as "constantly interrupting cutscenes" other than "this game does not have constantly interrupting cutscenes".

You're a clown, and while I may not agree with Lord Potato often, he's absolutely spot on in calling you the biggest poseur on this site.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
they were cursed the moment someone wrote down EL3X, it spelled their doom

Ryzer

Arcane
I still wonder what people find interesting in Archolos, it's full of uninspired, banal, boring FedEx quests with stupid quest design. The main story is also full on rail with rarely or ever a meaningful choice to make. The only important choice in fact is the faction, rest is illusion.
The gameplay improvements are nothing to write home about, they added cooking: WOW!

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Every ounce of their budget should've been put into combat and level design, but they're wasting money by animating terrible written and directed dialogues and cutscenes.
Agree 100%. This is the most on-point comment in this thread. Elex's massive turn off was the vast amount of tedious shitty dialogue (and accompanying shitty VA), and the cinematic conversation style and cutscenes. Literally dumping money in a pit. Keep the dialogues terse and minimal, keep the writers on a leash, and dump any pretense at triple-A cinematic presentation. Now take those resources and refine the core gameplay, balance, and level design.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Elex 1 was a shitty game. I don't know how I can take seriously a game that is a mixture of all the popular settings that don't fit together at all. So we have medieval warriors with magic fighting post-apocalyptic bandits and futuristic soldiers with plasma weapons.
Seriously?
Yes, and I wish there were more games out there that gave us medieval warriors with magic fighting post-apocalyptic bandits and futuristic soldiers with plasma weapons.

The setting was the BEST part about ELEX!

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I'm a huge (and I mean huge) setting fag. In my opinion the setting was good only conceptually, but not in execution.

First of all, lumping a bunch of stuff together such as dinosaurs/lasers/mecha/swords/arrows without any adhesive character isn't really worth of praise to me but whatever. Instead of a plastic mishmash, a cohesive and organic approach to worldbuilding is superior (see Morrowind). Also the factions are very poorly written.

For me the BEST part about ELEX was the freeform world design (go anywhere, do anything) and vertical exploration... otherwise the game is very... not good

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
luj1 may be an absolute retard for claiming that “cutscene interruptions” are in any way a factor in ELEX, but that is nothing compared to how many of you lying goddamn shills claim that an open world navigation based game *with almost literally nothing to find* has “good exploration”

such an assertion isn’t even apologetic, it’s downright delusional

Last edited:

Monolith

Prophet
I still wonder what people find interesting in Archolos, it's full of uninspired, banal, boring FedEx quests with stupid quest design. The main story is also full on rail with rarely or ever a meaningful choice to make. The only important choice in fact is the faction, rest is illusion.
The gameplay improvements are nothing to write home about, they added cooking: WOW
In principle, you've described Gothic 1+2 along with all other PB games.

You're ignoring the great character progression and feel of advancing to a higher level, where tough is tough for a much longer time than in most other RPGs. World building is strong in all of them, along with exploration. The latter is always important, because of how difficult the games are and adds a lot to the feeling of achievement, as you can gradually explore areas that initially were death zones. And you've got good characters all along, with ok writing, not overly verbose and not much Larian / Bioware / Obsidian style pansy slapstick humour dramaqueening.

So there's that.

And that's why I'm sad that PB is closing its doors.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I think I gave up on Elex after first NPC started to tell me story of his people for 5 minutes.

Same

Once dialogue starts you feel 3x dumber

And that faux 'southern' voice acting lol... it really looked like Captain America made the game, but a wannabe Captain America

ofc exploration is good, but you are exploring a shit mundane world. I was walking around and noticing bad UV and seams everywhere and literally holes in walls like I am playing the release version of Morrowind

Last edited:
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Elex's setting is fun but I agree that it's rather undercooked. You have 3 factions: clerics, outlaws and berserkers. Clerics make the most sense, it's a sci-fi world and it's a sci-fi faction, no problems here. Berserkers use magic are supposed to hate technology? Hate exactly what technology? It's not just Elex based stuff because they live in middle ages. Metallurgy and carpentry is apparently all-right but making guns isn't. A wooden pallisade is ok, but maing a high tech wall isn't. Then you have the outcasts who use post-apocalyptic weapons. Despite being opportunistic bastards without any rules they use low-tech, shoddily made garbage for no reason. Oh, and their early XXI century weaponry is on par with the high-tech guns. These factions live right next to each other, but might just as well come from different planets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom