Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Sales, player stats and other business things

In the end D:OS still wins. Better reviews and better sales. :smug:

Not to mention better graphics and multiplayer. It's pretty obvious why the more casual friendly game sold better.
Basically this, I never backed D:OS or followed it, didn't stand out. My girlfriend read about the co-op aspect and liked the artstyle, and thought it was cute:
divinity1.jpg
So she took a break from Dragon Age 2 and we played it through, well, I've never finished it tbh, I will probably force myself through for the sake of having a better formed opinion.(I'm close to the end in any case.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the game itself, the story was uninteresting and the quests weren't much better, I wanted to beat it so my second playthrough would have less guesswork and I could just enjoy the fun combat. However after realizing that you could literally change every aspect of your character on a whim I didn't really have the urge to re-roll, since the character you played was about as meaningful as your current Borderlands 2 build choice. Basically just messed around with all the builds, tried every spell and combo on my one character. then quit.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Lets say the game sell 200.000 copies on the next few months...8 million dollars and discounting the taxes and steam cut, half this money will go to InExile. Probably will sell even more after the first price cut. At this rate, IneXile could continue making Wasteland 2 type RPGs for an undeterminated time without even using kickstarter. Using kickstarter would make things even easier as it would be free PR for them.The objective was reached but I think next time, InExile should be a bit more careful with the graphics, there was a reason why Swen mentioned D:OS graphics on the reason for the sucess of the game and while I can give a fuck to graphics, the first impression many people have is that Wasteland 2 is ugly as hell and many may don't even give a second impression.

Hopefully they can get the performance issues in check before focusing on the graphics. Wasteland 2 runs worse than D:OS for me despite the lesser visuals. Granted I think a lot of things look better in Wasteland(Especially portraits), but it doesn't have all that bloom and higher res textures/polycount meshes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What they need to get in check is their non-English localization, which is apparently an unmitigated disaster, and possibly a major cause of lower sales.

Hasn't really been noticed or discussed here on the Codex though. Seems like everybody here plays in English.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Fuckin' only ignorant toolbags give a shit about non English crap. There, I said it. Happy? It's now been discussed on the Codex. :)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
... originally I thought that Divinity: Original Sin would make a medium splash at best, but it became evident in the final push to release that it was going to be a serious contender. I'm not douchey enough to go hunting for the post where I made a committed prediction to effect that it would be the single best selling game of all the KickStarter RPGs. Dat co-op too strong.

Then again, RPGs have a long lifepsan, so I could be wrong yet.

Odds go that Wasteland 2 was always going to be a lifetime sales type thing though. It has made the biggest and longest impression of all the KickStarter RPGs so at least anyone that plays cRPGs is aware of it, but hasn't stimulated much urgency to buy right away, apart from a Steam sale because (1) there's a reason why full party generation disappeared from party-driven RPGs in favor of companions (2) no co-op and (3) post-apocalyptic RPGs aren't that appealing. Even with the new Fallout games, I'm pretty sure the core audience there wants a first person shooter Assassin's Creed style hiking simulator more than they want a post-apocalyptic setting or even an RPG. The release of Fallout 4 should provide a stimulus to Wasteland 2 sales though, particularly if Wasteland 2 goes on sale during that time (twin film is a real thing).

I'm pretty sure over the course of its lifetime Wasteland 2 will fall just short of a million even with Steam sales, whereas Divinity: Original Sin will get near there without Steam sales and could conceivably approach 2 million with Steam sales.

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
SZerious contender to what? It doesn't touch the big games. Hell, previous Divinities sold more with half the hype ata time games were selling less,

DOS is overrated espicially in terms of its 'effect on the industry'. It has very little or no effect.

WalkinDude

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014
SZerious contender to what? It doesn't touch the big games. Hell, previous Divinities sold more with half the hype ata time games were selling less,

DOS is overrated espicially in terms of its 'effect on the industry'. It has very little or no effect.
Ehh I dunno I mean theoretically if all these rpg devs who have turned to kickstarter for their projects and were to completely leave the publisher game once and for all - never gonna happen with obsidian but i said theoretically - that should have an effect on the industry. In that they'll just form more inhouse rpg devs that they can fill with unpaid interns.

DemonKing

Arcane
InExile should be a bit more careful with the graphics, there was a reason why Swen mentioned D:OS graphics on the reason for the sucess of the game and while I can give a fuck to graphics, the first impression many people have is that Wasteland 2 is ugly as hell and many may don't even give a second impression.

To each their own...I prefer the W2 graphics as the art design is really good and they capture the feel of a post-apocalyptic world well. D:OS is just too cartoony IMO.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Exactly. WL2 graphics are not, overall, ugly. It fits perfectly for a PA world. It's good shit.

Wizfall

Cipher
InExile should be a bit more careful with the graphics, there was a reason why Swen mentioned D:OS graphics on the reason for the sucess of the game and while I can give a fuck to graphics, the first impression many people have is that Wasteland 2 is ugly as hell and many may don't even give a second impression.

To each their own...I prefer the W2 graphics as the art design is really good and they capture the feel of a post-apocalyptic world well. D:OS is just too cartoony IMO.
Yep, now if only W2 had a fix camera...would be perfect for me in term of presentation.
Not only the rotating camera is a huge pain in term of gameplay but it also make the graphics somewhat worse.

wasia

Literate
What they need to get in check is their non-English localization, which is apparently an unmitigated disaster, and possibly a major cause of lower sales.

Hasn't really been noticed or discussed here on the Codex though. Seems like everybody here plays in English.
At present moment russian version is completely game-broken at one moment(not too far). Localizatior(some notorious company) blames InXile, InXile nods to localizator, but takes all the responseability.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space

I don't really see the point of playing things in anything other than English. It has been more than a decade since the last time I went through a game in French.

Bradylama

Arcane

A Polish poster mentioned in the Release thread that they mangled the Polish translation. Making a post-apoc CRPG harder for Slavs to play was a bad move.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Don't forget that a lot of players use the GoG version instead of Steam. Well, we don't know how many people use GoG over Steam (I know I am).

European gamers buying new releases on Steam are idiots, that's all there's to it. They are voluntarily paying 20% more just to have their gaim in one neat library. There's no other benefit, apart from the comfortable patching but GOG Galaxy is coming soon so...

I use Steam only for deals and discounts and I buy new releases either on GOG (fair price policy) or GamersGate (bonus store credit).

Shevek

Arcane
There is no way WL2 was gonna beat a fantasy game with WoW-like character design and graphics.

I do think they could have cleaned up the graphics a little. I actually think that if they would have gone with 2D backgrounds and avoided this abominable 3D camera, it might have improved the look of the game. They didnt have PoE tech yet though, I guess.

Bottom line is the game is great. It will sell well. I am hoping for an even better sequel with even deeper character customization (traits, perks, etc).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Graphics is fine, what are ya'll talking about? You want genuinez 21st century graphics, you should've coughed up an exptra 10 million dorra during the KS campaign.

I'm actually more worried about the new Torment graphics, from the recent teasers it seems inXile decided the only colour they're gonna go with in this game is nasty plasticky violet.

Zeronet

Learned
I hope it sells well, they need to be able to fund finishing the game as they originally seemed to of intended. The game needs a Expanded Edition/Director's Cut level of additions, not simply bugfixes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If Risen 3 outsells WL2 then I have no hope for the human race.
http://steamcharts.com/app/249230
http://steamcharts.com/app/240760

I know Germans love their drm-free physical copies but I doubt they love them that much.

This is really great. If we're lucky, the entire "Euro-popamole RPG" genre will collapse on itself and all these companies will pull a Larian and go oldschool.

(Of course, you'll hate those games for being "grog".)

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
CD Projekt being a notable exception, considering they have that big currency-exchange advantage and a playerbase at least 2 million strong.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

agris

Arcane
Patron

What's going on with it?

At present moment russian version is completely game-broken at one moment(not too far). Localizatior(some notorious company) blames InXile, InXile nods to localizator, but takes all the responseability.
Is C1E handling the translation?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom