Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Sales, player stats and other business things

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Not surprising. DOS is dumbed down shit made a popular developer-publisher that has already had games sell over a mil+ copies.

WL2 is almost unapologetically 'old skool', hardcore. It's also awesome and most people are stupid so of course they'll buy the stupid game that is over hyped.

Athelas

Arcane
WL2 had a billion times more hype and media attention than D:OS. The latter doing better than the former has to do with presentation/aesthetics.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Interesting how both their peaks were nearly the same.

Of course D:OS held on to that peak much longer while Wasteland 2 had a quick drop-off. :)

Oh wait never mind, I misread the chart. It's about how long it stayed at #1 of course.

Hypothetically a title could debut at #1 and quickly fall off and still sell far, far more than a title that stayed #1 forever, so it's really only useful for concurrent comparisons.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I think one contributing factor is Kickstarter backer copies. inXile given way more copies through Kickstarter campaigns (WL2, PoE, T:ToN) than Larian, so naturally post-release sales/chart have affected from that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, Brother None tells me that there were over 100,000 Wasteland 2 keys "in the wild" before the game was released. That is a significant chunk of the expected lifetime sales of a game of this caliber.

SniperHF

Arcane
I wonder how many of those were actually used by different people though. I'm greedy and am keeping all 4 of mine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ouch. They really shouldn't have given out that many.

Developers made all sorts of strategic errors in the early days of Kickstarter. You'll notice that Pillars and Torment were both less generous about handing out multiple keys (dat 30 dollar Wasteland 2 tier)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
We could try to estimate the number of copies sold based on number of Steam reviews.

D:OS has around 500K copies sold and 7243 reviews, meaning around 1 review for 70 sales.

Using this number for W2, which has currently 2870 reviews, we get around 200K copies sold. Since 100K keys were given away before release, this gives 100K more copies sold, so at $40 per copy, four milion dollars in profit, minus Steam cut (15% ?).

SniperHF

Arcane
There's also the deluxe/early access price to consider with WL2. Those were all $60.

The other thing with steam reviews is they don't purge early access reviews. DOS was in EA for 7 months and WL2 for 10. So there was more time for people to review WL2.

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
... so at $40 per copy, four milion dollars in profit, minus Steam cut (15% ?).

Well, I got my Steam copy for 20$ (i.e. 20 EURitos, due to the unfair charge policy of gamekeys4all), however it includes the English localisation only (I had no need for other localisations; the golden rule applies - play games in their native language, if possible.) The purchase occurred on the 3rd day after the release and there was a shopping widget on the website showing what has been purchased at the moment... WL2 was there all the time, approx. at 1 purchase per 3-4 seconds. Doesn't say much, yet I thought it may be worth mentioning.

Steam cut varies depending on the game and situation, but I'd say a rough estimation of 15% would apply well in this case.

Morkar Left

WL2 had a billion times more hype and media attention than D:OS. The latter doing better than the former has to do with presentation/aesthetics.

More to the point: D:OS is a generic fantasy setting.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"WL2 had a billion times more hype and media attention than D:OS."

No. Hell the the fuck no.

ARE YOU FUKKIN' INSANE!?!

DOS was super spammed. WL2 was merely spammed.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Wasteland 2 only got serious media coverage at the time of kickstarter, two years ago, now with exception of the RPGCodex and a few other, barely anyone paid attention. Divine Divinity became the darling of a few PC gamming sites for some time.

Athelas

Arcane
Wasteland 2 only got serious media coverage at the time of kickstarter, two years ago, now with exception of the RPGCodex and a few other, barely anyone paid attention. Divine Divinity became the darling of a few PC gamming sites for some time.
That doesn't explain why D:OS was already selling great in the several weeks or even month it took for those websites to even notice the game and then start reviewing it.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I love it how you're pitting the two cRPG releases we have against each other. Really classy.

Makes it easy to stay away from the real issues at hand, doesn't it?

SniperHF

Arcane
I don't think we are pitting them against each other. Merely comparing them for the purposes of understanding the market of the games we :love:

Besides we can walk and chew gum.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Divinity had coop going for it, lots of extra copies sold by folks talking their friends into buying it for some coop action.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Has anyone considered the insane notion that maybe D:OS sold so many copies because it was a really good game? Unique engine, strong combat, very strong beginning area, lots of mod-support, etc.

Morkar Left

I don't doubt that's a good game, even when I'm not really interested in it (yet).
It's just that fantasy setting always sells better than other settings in rpgs. An exception was maybe F3 because it added console gunplay to the oblivion formula, but post-apoc was already served many times all the years before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom