Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Body Blows stuff

Ugh, I did NOT need to be reminded of that game. I think I beat it with almost (if not) all the characters. And yes, Max is a cunt.

"NINJ-AAAAAHH!" is a soundbyte stuck in my head right now because of your screenshots.

You are hereby sentenced to play Ultimate Body Blows until you beat it with at least one character. :shittydog:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
CiTIO4A.jpg

The Faery Tale Adventure (Amiga, 1987), created by David Joiner in seven months and published by Microillusions.

mptdS49.jpg

iTyL41Q.jpg

0xOJ7mA.jpg

wUgdrpm.jpg

ojughzA.jpg

I've always preferred playing Phillip.

vOilbtL.jpg

If one brother dies without any luck remaining, the next brother begins his journey.

QYuZxSo.jpg

There's more farmland in Faery Tale Adventure than in Oblivion and Skyrim combined.

kjzBMpr.jpg

Both food and sleep are necessary. Going too long without food eats away at your health; going too long without sleep results in you being unable to walk straight!

aUqa8Bl.jpg

In the crypt of the graveyard, at midnight, the Spectre appears and tasks you with finding ancient bones.

KfVHAVN.jpg

The city of Marheim.

FVkGAk4.jpg

The King is less than helpful.

whvjXxJ.jpg

Save the sea-turtle's eggs from snakes, and you are rewarded with the seashell, allowing you to summon and ride the sea-turtle.

12nLAHj.jpg

On the Isle of Sorcery, lies the Crystal Palace.

ITUqDmW.jpg

Within the Crystal Palace, the Sorceress provides you with a golden statuette and with luck.

jLkemhl.jpg

A magic item, blue stones, permit teleportation between circles of stone pillars.

8utYSx5.jpg

The Dragon's Cave lies in the Mountains of Frost.

mcohapj.jpg

The Dragon's breath is similar to the attack of the Wand found within the cavern.

FBQgCZZ.jpg

A maze of twisty passages all alike.

JQUnOUH.jpg

The Dream Knight guards a shrine containing the Sunstone.

GcJPCQp.jpg

Grimwood is a maze of forest passages, with a few tunnels.

vFy27jV.jpg

The Witch within the Grimwood is weakened by the Sunstone and guards the Lasso.

oCL3yhM.jpg

On Swan Isle lies the eponymous Swan, which can be tamed with the Lasso.

U2DRu8q.jpg

Wing forth in flight.

dIzq6Ht.jpg

The castle imprisoning the Princess can be reached only via flying.

tCBXQtR.jpg

Rescue of the Princess is rewarded with another golden statuette.

vVEfGzJ.jpg

The Swan allows quick access to two more golden statuettes.

oSU1zKj.jpg

The Tomb of Hemsath contains the ancient bones sought by the Spectre, in return for a Crystal Shard.

UXhuhpW.jpg

The hidden city of Azal contains a Red Rose.

88pgUNE.jpg

The Swan cannot land deeper into the volcanic Plain of Grief.

QQnfWSW.jpg

The Crystal Shard and Red Rose are necessary to enter the Citadel of Doom, where the Necromancer awaits.

K4788Js.jpg

The Spirit Plane, a mess of pitfalls, slippery surfaces, and strange geometric shapes that attack you.

s7T2p6s.jpg

The Necromancer is no match for the Wand.

qDGf0QG.jpg

A Grimm Brothers fairy tale would have ended differently.

vuBVZyr.jpg

The map accompanying Faery Tale Adventure, the game that instilled in me a lifelong fondness for hiking simulators.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
All I remember of Fairy Tale Adventure is the review from a "respectable" gaming mag back in the 1980s that awarded it with a 5% review rating.

So either it must be doing something simple quite spectacularly stupidly, or the publisher failed to deliver the bribe money on time.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I played I think the SNES version a long time ago, I think it just sucks.

Welcome to the world of "Drakkhen", an RPG that failed to accomplish anything of note except having its engine being used in "Eternam" and "Shadow of the Comet" and being relased on the SNES and astound and befuddle tons of SNES gamers with its "WTF is this thing?" style of gameplay.

I spent far too much time over the past 25 years trying to make head or tails of Drakkhen, to no avail. But considering how many copies of the game are up on eBay for the SNES, I wasn't the only one.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
All I remember of Fairy Tale Adventure is the review from a "respectable" gaming mag back in the 1980s that awarded it with a 5% review rating.

So either it must be doing something simple quite spectacularly stupidly, or the publisher failed to deliver the bribe money on time.

Probably they reviewed the C64 version which was reputed to be much inferior to the Amiga one?

Anyway, the screenshots of the Amiga version blew me away.
When I got to play it I also thought, the music was great and very moody.
The game was too empty and too easy once you had killed a few baddies, but no way it deserved only 5%.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

Probably they reviewed the C64 version which was reputed to be much inferior to the Amiga one?

Anyway, the screenshots of the Amiga version blew me away.
When I got to play it I also thought, the music was great and very moody.
The game was too empty and too easy once you had killed a few baddies, but no way it deserved only 5%.

I went and checked...

Behold! You were right on the money! They were reviewing the C-64 version while using Amiga screenshots (The cads!) To make it even worse they put it in the hands of the adventure game reviewer, and he reviewed it as if it was an adventure game!

:retarded:

There's even this quote:

Just released is a C-64 version of a Role-Playing game downgraded from the 16-bit original on Amiga and PC. I say "downgraded" as opposed to "converted" because although I have not seen the game in its earlier incarnation, I find it hard to believe that any 16-bit could be as clumsy to play as this version.

The rest of the review lambasts the slow loading times (it's a C-64 for fucks sake!) and the interface. The end quote is very Codexian, though.

A combination of boring plot, uninteresting graphics, a frustrating command system, and instructions written by an incompetent, led me to turn off the 64 before I suffered irreparable brain damage. Yesterday's technology, yesterday's game. What a waste of two disks. Yawn...

"Fair and balanced" reviewing from 1989, everyone!

Last edited:

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
giphy.gif

RIOTING! Not a screenshot, no, I'm sorry. But I uploaded it earlier and just wanted to share it. Always wanted a gif of this, or a video, I couldn't ever find it.:S But it's a great, little, ancient cinematic, that HAS to be a useful reaction to WHATEVER on the internet!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk2mz0eoZgdChyp8cf3ApHmp3tiQOv5jd Put 'em all up on youtube, why not, they're great!

Carry on!

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Max HP on level up? :decline:
So what. :positive: I played ToEE before, finished it (simply banished Zuggy but that doesn't count as "defeat final boss").
Played it again to see the additional content from Circle of Eight.
Got more fun than before. And that come from someone who have contact with D&D only via vidyagaemz...

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I went and checked...

Behold! You were right on the money! They were reviewing the C-64 version while using Amiga screenshots (The cads!) To make it even worse they put it in the hands of the adventure game reviewer, and he reviewed it as if it was an adventure game!

:retarded:
The game has "Adventure" in the title so it must be an adventure game, just as "role-playing games" are concerned only with role-playing. :philosoraptor:

For the music alone, Faery Tale Adventure needs to be played with the original Amiga version rather than an inferior port.

spekkio

Arcane
You Died - The Game

w3mt9cx.jpg

:bro:

5cG5IKF.jpg

Best sewers since Bloodlines!

DNfMZMg.jpg

Fancy dress.

ESOX0yS.jpg

Blighttown next. Maybe people were exaggerating...

f06jGVe.jpg

:(

n59RwpL.jpg

:cry:

7f5.gif

Last edited:

Comte

Welcome to the world of "Drakkhen", an RPG that failed to accomplish anything of note except having its engine being used in "Eternam" and "Shadow of the Comet" and being relased on the SNES and astound and befuddle tons of SNES gamers with its "WTF is this thing?" style of gameplay.

I spent far too much time over the past 25 years trying to make head or tails of Drakkhen, to no avail. But considering how many copies of the game are up on eBay for the SNES, I wasn't the only one.

Man Fuck Drakkhen I remember playing that shit on a buddies SNES and I couldn't figure it out and I was a veteran of many RPG's by that point.

phi

Educated
Fate: Gates of Dawn
mALi5h6.png

CI0hZj8.png

DhvogAB.png

Looting the destroyed inn.
JzZh3IL.png

HdaY7AZ.png

Gates to Larvin
vYPR48n.png

VSQZhYn.png

uGIq7mG.png

Weird that the names of taverns and shops and such are in english, since this is the original german version of the game.
fbyN106.png

An NPC agrees to join my quest.
hiAtCl4.png

uOhWdKG.png

qhI2qui.png

IIbSmKA.png

There is a hole here. Inside is a corpse, but Winwood is to weak to carry it out.
nmIBRs0.png

0AjasBT.png

A healing fountain.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished my playthrough of Might and Magic 3 today. On to World of Xeen. Wish me luck, hope I don't get eradicated too man times. Pm me if you want me to post endgame character shots.

mm3finalscore_by_nekot_the_brave-d9p8sdh.png

Went with the Neutral side, because it's all about the balance.
:balance:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom