Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

seems like the 1st Mass Effect rev. may have been leaked

slipgate_angel

Scholar
Concept: One of the greatest science-fiction stories ever told, and a new benchmark for videogame story telling.
From what I've seen, the only good storytelling was in the novel Revelations. I could be wrong, but it didn't seem as extream as the videos for the actuall game.

Graphics: Every second of gameplay offers the visual quality you have come to expect from Final Fantasy cut-scenes.
So wait, Square-Enix had something to do with the visual department? Where are the weird hair designs?

Sound: One of the most memorable and unique soundtracks in gaming. It's inspired by '80s sci-fi, yet sounds like nothing you've ever heard before. The game also features an amazing ensemble of voice actors.
Please tell me it's not like the cheesy ones...wait, I was thinking about the 50s.

Playability: Fun and funtional, but something always seems to be amiss with the AI and balancing.
*sigh* when will our adversaries start using medkits and cover for christ sake?

Entertainment: An expansive quest (18 to 30 hours) that toys with your emotions and keeps you engaged.
Do I get tanned babes? I just want my character to meet Jill Dah. Anybody who has read the novel will know who she is. ^w^

Replay Value: High
Give us your money, and we will grant you plunder and womens across the galaxy.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
While Final Fantasy as an RPG leaves a lot to be desired, their CG movies are of GREAT quality. You may not like the art style, but the technology they use is impressive.

Section8

Cipher
Is that the memo Bioware sends out with their review copies? Writing their own focal points for NWN reviews must have helped.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Cassidy said:
I don't want even to imagine the kind of replies it got on its original take on Team Xbox Forums.

Most replies were idiots flaming a guy who said that Mass Effect was just an overhyped game that wouldn't be that great. How dare he criticize the holy Mass Effect!

Texas Red

Whiner
I wonder if this time around there will be at least a SINGLE profushunul journalist who refuses to give ME 9.5/10, possibly because Bioware forgot to send persents to him.

But yeah, as far as Im concerned the OC of NWN 1, KotOR 1 and JE were all pretty crappy and all got praised to death with GOTY 9.5/10 scores. Thats our Bioware(*laughs merrily*), the masters at buying reviewers.

aries202

Erudite
As fun as the might have been, I will question the review's validity and genuiness. Mass Effect will be out November 20th, 40 days or so from now. Bioware devs. are still probably slaving away ;) to crush bugs and fix things, before the game goes gold around the first of November 2007.

Callaxes

Arbiter
It's a preview-review, it's not the first time it was done either. You see, it's a strange combination between hyped anticipation and follwoing the development closely, reading every article about it, seeing every screenshot, wacthing every movie. In the end you come up with the conclusion that you've kinda played the game, even though you didn't, which explains why the review is so short and positive.

Monolith

Prophet
Wait, that thing will come out this year? It doesn't make much of a difference to me as I don't have a console but somehow I expected it to be far away from a release. Suprise, suprise...

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
obediah said:
How can you be certain that China exists if you've never been there? It could all be a conspiracy targeted at you. I'm all for open-mindedness, but I haven't seen anything to suggest the story of Mass Effect is good, let alone a challenge to Planescape. Besides the auther of the review was probably comparing it to Halo 2, WoW, and Super Mario.

Because everyone says China exists. One person saying Mass Effect is/is not the greatest RPG story ever does not make it true.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Monolith said:
Wait, that thing will come out this year? It doesn't make much of a difference to me as I don't have a console but somehow I expected it to be far away from a release. Suprise, suprise...

Its release date is sometime next month, I believe.

DemonKing

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
"The gameplay is certainly fun, and it controls admirably, but it doesn't live up to the large stage the story sets or the standards you've come to expect from action games and RPGs."

So it's basically another typical BRPG (Bio Role Playing Game).

Reasonable story and characters but god-awful gameplay.

I enjoyed the stories in both KOTOR and Jade Empire but the combat in both was pretty dire (unlike in the BG series, where the combat was quite good IMO). Take away the combat, which you might as well since it's so easy, and you're basically left with not much else except a bit of exploration and a lot of conversations and patented Bio romances.

I really wish Bio would take a close look at the gameplay aspects as I'm getting less and less enthused about Dragon Age at this point...

Joe Krow

Erudite
The Codex should start doing pre-reviews. Why delay a review for two months after a games released when you can do it two months before? Or maybe we can do some kind of form letter review "Is ________ even an rpg? Graphics seem to be the primary focus of ________, a shallow, uninspired, cash grab." We can fill it in as soon as the game is released to get a jump on the competition.

Xi

Arcane
Gaming review in a nutshell:

"This is the best game ever, until the next best game ever comes out next week!"

The number system doesn't work and nor does their written reviews. It's all far too subjective. I think it's time to standardize game reviewing. If we can all only agree on what really is good and bad game design.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
"Best science fiction story since Star Wars" what kind of bullshit is that? Just counting movies there has been oodles of stories released since then that are way better than star wars ever was. Does he think science fiction = space opera? If that is his taste in stories I just can't take the statement that Mass Effect has the best game story ever seriously.

This stuff has gone full circle, first they talk about the review from the Codex, and they were mocked. Now, we talk about a review from somewhere else, and they whine about what we say.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Actually, without knowing what is codex all about, without reading and understanding other threads here, this topic may sound like comedy gold to them.
)
just like combat system of AoD called Xtreme based on late innovations in rocket science.

MasPingon

Arcane
kris said:
Dark Matter said:

Some of the posters on that link actually sounded quite levelheaded.

"Sounds like a bunch of nintendo wii fanboys to me"- pwned

"If they can't find a real reason to whine, they'll make something up. I heard RPG Codex was somehow banned from Bethesda's forums. Not suprising"

^That's my favourite :]

Lumpy

Arcane
Although it's true, some people here do make shit up just for the sake of complaining.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Is it me or is gaming journalism at an all-time low? I have always had a little bit of cynicism and mistrust for it, but Good God it seems to be getting really bad nowadays. I'm sitting here reading reviews for Halo 3 and Orange Box and these people aren't even trying to hide their whoreness anymore. Gamespot, in particular, has really gone downhill lately. Then again, Gamespot declared NWN's OC to be one of the greatest ever made, so maybe they have always been this bad and I am just waking up to it more now.

DemonKing said:
So it's basically another typical BRPG (Bio Role Playing Game).

Reasonable story and characters but god-awful gameplay.
Replace “reasonable” with “vapid” and the above sums up NWN and KotOR for me.

Baldur's Gate I & II were fairly solid in terms of gameplay though: smooth level progression, some challenging combat encounters, the ratio of quests to combat to exploration felt about right.

doctor_kaz said:
I'm sitting here reading reviews for Halo 3 and Orange Box and these people aren't even trying to hide their whoreness anymore.
A ‘working girl’ must flash some cleavage or leg if she wants to attract the ‘johns’.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom