Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I'm afraid you'll never find the mythical non-action RPG that's truly difficult if you immediately discount it for being too difficult when you play it

I didn't think it was too difficult, just that I was given no options but to hope the random number generator didn't fail me and had to try a couple times until that was the case. That's not a question of difficulty either way, just questionable design. I gather it was adjusted in a later release of the demo, haven't gone back and looked.

The purpose of the challenging first fight was to let you test your character right away rather than letting you discover 20 min later that you spread your points too thin.

I can't remember if I tried again with the same build or readjusted into more murderpoints or just went with a different class, it's been a while. I'll go get whatever the current version of the demo is here. As challenges go, I don't find 'having enough points in swording' very meaningful, myself. That isn't making me think. But this is a conversation that I'm sure's been had to death elsewhere on the Codex.

...but given that the different classes have different starting distributions of points anyway, wouldn't it make more fucking sense to have each of them already capable of surviving their opening vignette and not just make the player guess at what the "actual baseline" is? I don't get it. Are the free assignment chargen points actually free assignment if you can't assign them freely and survive the first five minutes without getting lucky?

I'm not criticizing AoD here. I thought it was charming. But "It's an interesting challenge because it will murder you immediately if you spend your freebies on the wrong thing" is a pretty questionable assertion.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As challenges go, I don't find 'having enough points in swording' very meaningful, myself.

Neither do I, but it's not the only challenge. As I said, the game is tough even if your character is built correctly.

2859712506.png

:( It's all about the ride, huh?

scrub

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I lived on 40 kbps for the last year =| It's good to be back in Amurrica sometimes.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
... just that I was given no options...
Nets, bolas, different weapon types (within a class; there is a huge difference between using a short sword and a two hander), different attacks (that makes all the difference), etc.

...but given that the different classes have different starting distributions of points anyway, wouldn't it make more fucking sense to have each of them already capable of surviving their opening vignette and not just make the player guess at what the "actual baseline" is? I don't get it. Are the free assignment chargen points actually free assignment if you can't assign them freely and survive the first five minutes without getting lucky?
There is no baseline. Due to the variety of options, some people can do more with less (6-7 in combat stats), some people are stuck even with maxed out combat stats.

All I can say, again and again, that initially testers tested the game without being able to save. They ironman'ed the demo back and forth relying on nothing but different options to overcome anything thrown at them, including unlucky rolls.

I'm not criticizing AoD here. I thought it was charming. But to "It's an interesting challenge because it will murder you immediately if you spend your freebies on the wrong thing" is a pretty questionable assertion.
I think he meant that the game remains challenging even after you spend your points "on the right things".

CWagner

Augur
2859763876.png

Probably still more than Steam will be able to handle :D And if I ever get to the "Downloads" page on harebrained, it probably download with some nice 56k speed anyway.

Branm

Learned
Are they serious??? A glorified tablet board game? With a stylus?? WTF

Jordan Weisman is primarily a PnP guy, so it's not really surprising.

Discuss here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/golem-arcana-harebrained-schemes-next-ks.85015/

I guess I'm disappointed that Shadowrun will sell well and from whats been said it looks like its going to be abandoned and we will never see basic things such as stealth, saving etc etc.

Wonder how much of the pre-order money went into starting on that Golem game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom