Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadows in FO: New Vegas

Destroid

Arcane
So I was watching my friend play New Vegas, and something seemed a bit odd about the graphics. As I watched further, I noticed that there were few shadows. Then I realised there were actually no shadows at all, on anything.

We look in the menu and there was a little slider for 'shadow fade' but no option to enable/disable shadows. So clearly Obsidian thinks there are shadows. Is something screwy with my friends NV install or are there really no shadows in this game (on PC)?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wasn't it the same with Fallout 3? That is no shadows because the engine is a piece of shit

Go to the config in the launcher to enable shadows. You will also see that Bethesda's fine engine is capable of rendering an astonishing 2 to 6 shadows at a time max, depending on your settings. :D

Divinity 2 uses Gamebryo and it managed to pull some pretty impressive visuals out of its arse at times. It just goes to show that Bethesda can't modify an engine for shit.

(Ps. The inventory in Divinity 2 is better as well, which yet again goes to show that Gamebryo isn't to blame for shitty game design.)

Destroid

Arcane
That's pathetic. Once your eyes are used to shadows, no shadows looks pretty terrible.

Ancient

Erudite
oh oh GUYZ do you know that Bethesda's new game which they will announce p.soon will use heavily modified GameBryo ? :smug:

Suchy

Arcane
Only characters cast shadows - and only related to sunlight. No shadows cast by static objects, no dynamic lights. Same as FO3, same as Oblivion. Bethesda cannot into graphics.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Suchy said:
Only characters cast shadows - and only related to sunlight. No shadows cast by static objects, no dynamic lights. Same as FO3, same as Oblivion. Bethesda cannot into graphics.

I still remember the pre-release Oblivion graphics hype "WE HAVE SOFT SHADOWS ON EVERYTHING" and later they went all flip-flop "lol no it's too sophisticated for consoles so we leave it out because we want all versions, PC and ShitBox, to be the same".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well I like my 60fps on max settings, I'm kind of glad every object doesn't cast a dynamic shadow... that would be insane.

Gerrard

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Suchy said:

I still remember the pre-release Oblivion graphics hype "WE HAVE SOFT SHADOWS ON EVERYTHING" and later they went all flip-flop "lol no it's too sophisticated for consoles so we leave it out because we want all versions, PC and ShitBox, to be the same".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUtvj_pqxvs

Shit, even the UE2 modified for Invisible War had full dynamic shadows. Of course the performance sucked, but that's beyond the point, it ran on consoles. When I first saw a trailer for it I was like WHOOOOOOOAAAA.

Destroid

Arcane
DalekFlay said:
Well I like my 60fps on max settings, I'm kind of glad every object doesn't cast a dynamic shadow... that would be insane.

I can play Half Life 1 on max settings, doesn't make the graphics good.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Destroid said:
DalekFlay said:

I can play Half Life 1 on max settings, doesn't make the graphics good.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything? The point is every object in the world casting a shadow would be a performance nightmare, the game can barely handle the havoc physics on every item. There would be no option for static shadows either, given how everything can be moved.

Destroid

Arcane
It's relevent to your comment that you want to play the game on maximum settings with a high framerate.

Plenty of other games use far more shadows than this, and not new titles either, such as Doom 3 and Stalker. You obviously can't use dynamic lights for everything without great performance cost, the trick is to use just the right amount (in the right places) to compromise between performance and looks.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Destroid said:
It's relevent to your comment that you want to play the game on maximum settings with a high framerate.

Plenty of other games use far more shadows than this, and not new titles either, such as Doom 3 and Stalker. You obviously can't use dynamic lights for everything without great performance cost, the trick is to use just the right amount (in the right places) to compromise between performance and looks.

Doom and STALKER don't have hundreds of items in every area that can be picked up and thrown about, that's the point. It would be impossible for them to add dynamic shadows to everything without breaking the consoles and sending the PC recommended specs into the stratosphere, that's why they pulled back from it with Oblivion.

They're supposedly working right now to upgrade Gamebryo again like they did for Oblivion, so hopefully some compromise comes from that.

Gerrard

Arcane
DalekFlay said:
Destroid said:

Doom and STALKER don't have hundreds of items in every area that can be picked up and thrown about, that's the point
Don't know about Doom, but in Stalker's case that wouldn't change shit, because it uses deferred shading.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
In general, I'd say Stalker looks a lot better than everything I've seen made with Gamebryo... but has zones, as opposed to a seamless world.

Raapys

Arcane
Elwro said:
In general, I'd say Stalker looks a lot better than everything I've seen made with Gamebryo... but has zones, as opposed to a seamless world.
Sooo, what are all the loading screens in Oblivion/Morrowind/anyotherGamebryo games for?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Stereotypical Villain said:
Divinity 2 uses Gamebryo and it managed to pull some pretty impressive visuals out of its arse at times. It just goes to show that Bethesda can't modify an engine for shit.

(Ps. The inventory in Divinity 2 is better as well, which yet again goes to show that Gamebryo isn't to blame for shitty game design.)

Well, OK, then it's because Bethesda is a piece of shit.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
#
bushmecj
2 years ago 7

Yeah same for me as well. Morrowind was really boring to play, but oblivion is really addicting. Much better than Morrowind

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

hoochimama

Liturgist
FeelTheRads said:
Stereotypical Villain said:

Well, OK, then it's because Bethesda is a piece of shit.

Game development pussies according to the Todd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom