Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Single-Player Non-Squad FPS's with "realistic"...

obediah

Erudite
Secretninja said:
Tasers knock people off their feet by the energy transmitted through impact.

No, no they don't.

Try the energy transmitted through electric current.

obediah said:
Secretninja said:
Tasers knock people off their feet by the energy transmitted through impact.

No, no they don't.

Try the energy transmitted through electric current.

No, no they don't.

Try the energy transmitted through electric current makes people piss their pants and fall to the ground out of fear.

Tasers are a method of pain infliction, not much more. A clean one that leaves no evidence of usage.

obediah

Erudite
Mangoose said:
More like fibrillation of muscle fibers making it hard to stay standing up.

I thought my reply was wittier leaving the how part out. I guess not.

Overweight Manatee said:
Try the energy transmitted through electric current makes people piss their pants and fall to the ground out of fear.

Tasers are a method of pain infliction, not much more. A clean one that leaves no evidence of usage.

I've never been tased, are you telling me the involuntary muscle contractions are a myth?

obediah said:
I've never been tased, are you telling me the involuntary muscle contractions are a myth?

AFAIK, there are two general taser methods. The pure pain one, and the muscle contraction one (which also causes a lot of pain). The pure pain method is generally used for intimidation or coercion (breaking up a rowdy crowd, or if the cop just wants to start being an asshole and abuse his power), while the muscle contraction is for shooting a fleeing suspect in the back.

While the muscle contractions do occur, they don't necessarily cause incapacitation, especially if they only hit a target in an arm or something. The real incapacitation effect is due to the average person's reaction of "oh shit, i just got shot and it hurts like a mother fucker, I'm gonna fall down".

This is all second hand information from a friend of mine who is a cop, and who was tasered once.

DraQ

Arcane
I luld at this thread.

Pressure wave basically equals splash damage - you either fire an unstable projectile or otherwise cause small explosion on the target or nearby. Such weapons work like tiny grenades - explosion is radial and fuelled by energy contained in the projectile or transmitted to the target through other means, so projectile doesn't have to have a lot of momentum or kinetic energy. Mind you, that's pretty worthless if you want a weapon that is neither designed to take down groups of targets, nonlethal or otherwise a special purpose weapon.

Mind you, that before getting all butthurt nomask started by complaining about bullets in Q4, which means he meant things like machine gun, which uses standard bullets. No pressure waves, no exotic energy crap, no nothing.

Hoodoo

Arcane
I reckon it would be cool if in games weaker enemies when shot would shudder at the places you hit them, or clutch at the bullet wounds.

Like in movies when some guy gets a clip unloaded into his chest and he jiggles round till the shooting stops.
Or when someguys running and he takes a round in the shoulder and he loses his balances for a sec / spin-falls onto the ground.
Or someguy takes a shotgun round pointblank in the stomach and gets thrown backwards.

Like in a multiplayer game your lining up a shot and take a round in the right shoulder so your aim gets thrown off to the right. You try to quickly fire a shot at the attacker but, hes shot you a few times in the chest and your staggering backwards your aim all wild, then your on the ground and your kinda stunned/wounded so maybe the screen is red or distorting and its harder for you to move your aimer and ourypretty much a goner but your friends mows this guy down
and saves you so after a bit you slowly recover and continue playing and it would be epic.

DraQ said:
Mind you, that before getting all butthurt nomask started by complaining about bullets in Q4, which means he meant things like machine gun, which uses standard bullets. No pressure waves, no exotic energy crap, no nothing.
Bullets can mean all ammunition. Duh.

And you were completely wrong anyway:

Hollywood depictions of firearm victims being thrown through several feet backwards are inaccurate, although not for the often-cited reason of conservation of energy. Although energy must be conserved, this does not mean that the kinetic energy of the bullet must be equal to the recoil energy of the gun: in fact, it is many times greater. For example, a bullet fired from an M16 rifle has approximately 1300 foot-pounds of kinetic energy as it leaves the muzzle, but the recoil energy of the gun is less than 5 foot-pounds. Despite this imbalance, energy is still conserved because the total energy in the system before firing (the chemical energy stored in the explosive) is equal to the total energy after firing (the kinetic energy of the recoiling firearm, plus the kinetic energy of the bullet and other ejecta, plus the heat energy from the explosion). In order to work out the distribution of kinetic energy between the firearm and the bullet, it is necessary to use the law of conservation of momentum in combination with the law of conservation of energy.

Thus, when a bullet strikes a target, it may have a kinetic energy in the hundreds or even thousands of foot-pounds, which in theory is enough to lift a person well off the ground. (A foot-pound is the energy required to lift a one-pound weight to a height one foot off the ground.) This energy, however, is largely spent in the deformation or shattering of the bullet (depending on bullet construction), damage to the target (depending on target construction), and heat dissipation. In other words, because the bullet strike on the target is an inelastic collision, a minority of the bullet energy is used to actually impart momentum to the target.

You don't actually know how recoil works in machine guns and assault rifles. Nice faking though.

Lumpy

Arcane
Paula Tormeson IV said:
You don't actually know how recoil works in machine guns and assault rifles. Nice faking though.
You don't actually know how conservation of momentum works, or how momentum is not affected by internal forces (i.e. any mechanism inside the gun).

DraQ

Arcane
Paula Tormeson IV said:
DraQ said:
Bullets can mean all ammunition. Duh.

80462491.jpg

Paula Tormeson IV said:
Behold me faking knowledge by being completely oblivious of the difference between kinetic energy and momentum.
:lol:

Lumpy said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
You don't actually know how conservation of momentum works, or how momentum is not affected by internal forces (i.e. any mechanism inside the gun).
:retarded:

You have never fired an assault rifle, I take it. Just 'nother 'boon faking knowledge by parroting lecture hand-outs.

The subject is recoil.

Your "knowledge" on the subject was ass-backwards, ridiculously wrong. My intuition was about a thousand times more accurate, considering that the target impact can be about a thousand times more powerful than the recoil impact.

You wrote if you can fire a weapon without being knocked to the ground, you can also take the bullets without being knocked to the ground. You wrote that because of your simplistic experience-devoid "knowledge", and compulsion to roleplay a lecture hand-out.

Yawn, I've got my own, so you may as well go play in another thread.

DraQ

Arcane
Paula Tormeson IV said:
The subject is recoil.
Which is basically caused by conservation of momentum, whereas you keep flailing about like a chimp you are and posting wikipedia excerpts regarding recoil not being caused by conservation of energy.

You don't have a dimmest clue regarding what you're talking about, and try to mask it by copypasta of stuff you don't understand either, but instinctively feel might be relevant - a sub-sapient manboonery at its finest.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Shooting incidents are often portrayed in movies and on the televitz as resulting in a sometimes violent backwards displacement of the victim. Which makes it understandable that the easily impressionable think this is how it is in reality. The physical force responsible for this would be momentum (mass x velocity). The physics of momentum in ballistic injury is explained in detail. The maximum momentum transferred from different small arms projectiles including large calibre rifles and a 12-gauge shotgun only results in a backwards motion of a 80 kg target body of 0.01–0.18 m/s, which is negligible compared to the velocity of a pedestrian (1–2 m/s). Furthermore, counterbalance is constantly maintained by neurophysiological reflexes.

So the effect of the momentum transferred from the missile is virtually zero and there is no backwards motion of the person shot. Basically people usually fall down like puppets from whom the strings are suddenly cut. Empirical evidence verifying these calculations can be obtained from hunting big game, going on a shooting spree or by checking out the extensive ogrish library. Sorry, the alleged backwards hurling of a person shot is nothing but a myth.

DraQ said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
The subject is recoil.
Which is basically caused by conservation of momentum, whereas you keep flailing about like a chimp you are and posting wikipedia excerpts regarding recoil not being caused by conservation of energy.

You don't have a dimmest clue regarding what you're talking about, and try to mask it by copypasta of stuff you don't understand either, but instinctively feel might be relevant - a sub-sapient manboonery at its finest.
:retarded:

Explain (almost complete lack of) recoil in assault rifles. :cool:

Re: Single-Player Non-Squad FPS's with "realistic"

Apparently, reality is unrealistic.

Also, lolz at this thread.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
DraQ said:
Paula Tormeson IV said:
Explain (almost complete lack of) recoil in assault rifles. :cool:
Light, fast bullets. A lot of kinetic energy, but little momentum.
This. a 5.56x45mm NATO round is ~4 grams. A typical human male, maybe ~70kg. Since you brace the gun in your shooting stance, little recoil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom