Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim Gameplay - Now including classic dumb AI

Alt

Augur
Looks like shit. Not gfx wise, I kinda like them and the animations look mostly fine to me. The sword-fighting shown in the video looks kinda odd though from first person.

But:

- The dragons indeed seem to be the new Oblivion Gates, as has been stated before. Or: Cliff Racers 2.0.

- I almost had to laugh out loud when Todd mentioned: "They are DYNAMIC, they're not scripted, when we play the game we don't know what they're gonna do, often." Where did we hear that before? You mean they are radiant dragons, Todd? I guess what those dynamic dragons are gonna do when you run into them is ATTACK you. Duh. The dynamic thing is probably whether they are attacking you from your upper left or your upper right. Or, tastefully, from behind. Or maybe they attack the other fool first and then you. DYNAMIXXXXX! We've never seen that before with creatures in any game, ever. It's totally new because Todd says so.

- You can BREATH FIRE!! Yeah! Makes sense. What are you, a fucking circus performer? Ah, silly me, I forgot you are the Dragonpr0n! Guess it makes sense then. Will the city guards also be Dragonpr0ns, or will you be able to consume the whole city with fire as a member of the thieves guild and then loot everything (the leveled shovels and goblets and stuff)? Bethesda's solution to this dilemma will probably be that

a) no, the guards cannot breath fire, but
b) will happily continue to swordfight you while on fire, even though you just consumed a dragon outside of town with that same fire.

- Notice how when he makes the lightning spell / shout or whatever, how the WHOLE FUCKING SKY is going overcast instantly, until the horizon! So, if you're not busy breathing fire, you fight those blood curdling DYNAMIC(™) dragons by becoming Thor himself! Really? Looks like the awsum button is alive and well in Skyrim. What's next? Cast fireball and the sun is falling? Instant gratification ftw! Or maybe the engine still can't handle a more localized phenomena. Like with the Oblivion Gates that made the whole world go red when you came too close to them, even though everything had been hunky-dory just a minute ago when you watched them from 100 meters or so.

- Three "main guilds". Make that three guilds. Because the non-main guilds will probably just fall into the "also ran" category, otherwise he would have given a higher number. Not enough for a big game world imho. And it's gonna be Fighters Guild, Mages Guild and Thieves Guild, with different names though this time (Innovasun!). But who cares when we got 150 dungeons!

_-Bethesdas-Pete-Hines-The-E3-07-Fallout-3-Interview-_.jpg

PH2005081401115.jpg

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Butthurt ensued when those random dragons accidently attack some town/villager and the AI goes in a derp feedbackloop. :smug:

Alt said:
- I almost had to laugh out loud when Todd mentioned: "They are DYNAMIC, they're not scripted, when we play the game we don't know what they're gonna do, often." Where did we hear that before?

Reminds me of the lady roasting her own dog, or some of the other little events that popped up in their old Oblivion gameplay viewing. "This stuff happens all the time with Radiant AI." No, it didn't. The only thing that tended to happen was that retarded Argonian who inevitably created Benny Hill-esque chases because he had the urge to steal but was a fucking terrible thief. There's another Argonian in Shivering Isles with the same problem.

As for the Dragons attacking whoever they wished...uh, great. That can be accomplished in any Bethesda game by changing their enemy-type tag.

Enough with the old school hype train, just show some actual new stuff you have in clear videos and build from there.

Baron

Arcane
Sell out my principles and forgive them their past lies... Skyrim looks amazing. Will buy once it's been modded into shape. I always play a Thief in these games, this is the first one I've wanted to play a Warrior in, and solely for the chiselled triceps and horned Conan-esque helms.

Alt said:
- You can BREATH FIRE!! Yeah! Makes sense. What are you, a fucking circus performer? Ah, silly me, I forgot you are the Dragonpr0n! Guess it makes sense then.

Indeed, it makes nowhere as much sense as throwing balls of fire from your hands

Fucking magic, how does it work?

Captain Shrek

Baron said:
Sell out my principles and forgive them their past lies... Skyrim looks amazing. Will buy once it's been modded into shape. I always play a Thief in these games, this is the first one I've wanted to play a Warrior in, and solely for the chiselled triceps and horned Conan-esque helms.

This.

I will buy it because the combat does not look entirely crappy. I am dying for a good FPS combat game in fantasy genre. After Dark messiah nothing has sated my thirst except for Mount and Blade.

Captain Shrek

Surf Solar said:
Butthurt ensued when those random dragons accidently attack some town/villager and the AI goes in a derp feedbackloop. :smug:

I am hoping for the Cliff-racer syndrome.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
"Be who you want, go where you want" doesn't matter when everywhere is the same and boring. I want a game not a LARP simulator.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS THIS IS SO UNEXPECTED WE ALL THOGHT THIS GAME WOULD BE GREAT

J_J_M

Educated
Game seems way too gimmicky compared to the previous TES games. It's supposedly a huge open RPG, but at the end of the day, you're always a dragonborn using dragon shouts fighting dragons. I can't imagine not getting bored of this after a while.

Stabwound

Arcane
J_J_M said:
Game seems way too gimmicky compared to the previous TES games. It's supposedly a huge open RPG, but at the end of the day, you're always a dragonborn using dragon shouts fighting dragons. I can't imagine not getting bored of this after a while.
But you can be any character you want to be. As long as you want to be a dragon born using dragon shouts.

.Sigurd

Educated
Good animations, seems very fluid. I also liked the visuals, while the technological side is obvious very close to Oblivion the artistic direction was vastly improved.

But meh, seems like they are going full action. "Do anything anytime", I really hate that. And only 4 factions!? WTF :?

The number of factions means nothing. All you need for a "faction" is a guy giving you one or two sidequests in the name of his group.

edit: Look at FO3. There's a big list but the only one that actually counts is BoS-Lite, and maybe the Regulators.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_factions

Btw, here's the big factions in Oblivion.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Factions

Major Guilds

These are the five main factions (Guilds) that the player can join; many NPCs also belong to one of these factions. Each faction has an associated questline. Completing the quests allows the player to advance in rank through the guild. On the Xbox 360 version of Oblivion, with the rank advancements come achievements.

Fighters Guild -- An Imperially-chartered guild dedicated to serving the people of Cyrodiil.
Mages Guild -- An Imperially-chartered guild dedicated to the study of magicka.
Thieves Guild -- A secret guild dedicated to thievery.
Dark Brotherhood -- A secret guild dedicated to hired killings.
Arena -- A team competing in the Imperial City deathmatch-style Arena.

And the Arena shouldn't even count. Now for New Vegas.

Major FactionsEdit

The following factions are the four major players in New Vegas. During the course of the game, you will eventually have the option to side with one of them, or go it alone, to the expense of your relations with the other major factions.

Yes Man
New California Republic
Caesar's Legion
Robert House

edit: more stuffies

.Sigurd

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:
The number of factions means nothing. All you need for a "faction" is a guy giving you one or two sidequests in the name of his group.

idzwom.gif

.Sigurd

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:

edit: Look at FO3. There's a big list but the only one that actually counts is BoS-Lite, and maybe the Regulators.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_factions

Btw, here's the big factions in Oblivion.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Factions

Major Guilds

These are the five main factions (Guilds) that the player can join; many NPCs also belong to one of these factions. Each faction has an associated questline. Completing the quests allows the player to advance in rank through the guild. On the Xbox 360 version of Oblivion, with the rank advancements come achievements.

Fighters Guild -- An Imperially-chartered guild dedicated to serving the people of Cyrodiil.
Mages Guild -- An Imperially-chartered guild dedicated to the study of magicka.
Thieves Guild -- A secret guild dedicated to thievery.
Dark Brotherhood -- A secret guild dedicated to hired killings.
Arena -- A team competing in the Imperial City deathmatch-style Arena.

And the Arena shouldn't even count. Now for New Vegas.

Major FactionsEdit

The following factions are the four major players in New Vegas. During the course of the game, you will eventually have the option to side with one of them, or go it alone, to the expense of your relations with the other major factions.

Yes Man
New California Republic
Caesar's Legion
Robert House

edit: more stuffies

Fallout New Vegas don't have "factions" in the same sense as TES. Only paths for the main quest.

Also: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Factions

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
.Sigurd said:
Fallout New Vegas don't have "factions" in the same sense as TES. Only paths for the main quest.
Uh, what? There's a whole reputation mechanic which solely exists to govern the player's standing towards various groups, with upsides and downsides to maintaining a high or low reputation with each, including completely new quests becoming available based on how trusted theplayer is That's not enough to qualify it as having a faction system?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom