Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim Gameplay - Now including classic dumb AI

Exmit

Scholar
Jesus , Todd with the retarded PR talk

'YOU CAN BE WHOEVER YOU WANT'

- Todd, is that the Dragonborn?

- YOU CAN BE WHOEVER YOU WANT

- Todd, what class are you

- YOU CAN PLAY WHOEVER YOU WANT.

- Todd , what is this ?....

- YOU CAN PLAY WHOEVER YOU WANT , MOST OPEN GAME EVEEEEEEEEERRR , GO WHEREVER YOU WANT BE WHOEVER YOU WANT

ok stfu already

Other than retarded Todd, game is more fun already than shitty Twitcher 2.

Jigawatt

Arcane
thesheeep said:
But what for if your choices don't matter. No_clip isn't my idea of perfect freedom, to make freedom interesting there must be meaningful choices.

I counter your argument with a simple: No.

No, really. What choices do you mean? Story-affecting choices? Moral choices?

I don't claim to speak for Kraszu, but I don't think that's what he meant at all.

Consider the following situation: you're level 5, and you're exploring the wilderness and enter a dungeon, whereby it becomes apparent that the level 8 monsters inside will provide a significant if not deadly challenge. You now have a choice, do I press on, suffering through slow hard fights and potentially a few reloads in the hope that the xp+loot will make up for time lost later on, or do I leave and find a level 5 dungeon to conquer and come back when I'm stronger?

Of course, this will never come up in a modern Beth game, and specifically Skyrim where all dungeons are your level or lower. By giving you the 'freedom' to tackle each dungeon at level 1, how is one supposed to 'choose' which to do first, especially when the reward is levelled as well? It doesn't matter. And you can be sure this won't be the only place where more freedom means less meaningful decisions - I get the strong feeling that character development will suffer the same problems (all builds are as good each other! woooooooo!)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That is also one of the fears that I have, but also one that can be easily fixed by modders.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see the modability of the Bethsoft games to be an excuse for their shortcomings, but I take it as given that what they deliver vanilla will not be what people here (or most/many of 'em) want.
And then the modability kicks in to make things much more enjoyable for many.

Of course, it would be cool if Bethesda would offer something like the Hardcore mode in F:NV - makes much more sense than easy/medium/hard- right from the start, but to be honest, I don't see that coming.

abnaxus said:
So a dragon just happened to fly along just as Todd was messing around a bit with the mammoth and giant?

I think that entire sequence may have been scripted, just to show off what awesome stuff dragons can do and what happens if you kill them.

That, or they just upped the % chance of a dragon showing up while you're fighting something else in the countryside, I think there could be a variable taking care of this. Notice how the second dragon arrives as the first one is dying :)

I dunno if scripting that fight would be a problem, anyway...running around hoping for a dragon encounter, while you're being interviewed, would be pretty derpy

Exmit

Scholar
Clockwork Knight said:
abnaxus said:
So a dragon just happened to fly along just as Todd was messing around a bit with the mammoth and giant?

I think that entire sequence may have been scripted, just to show off what awesome stuff dragons can do and what happens if you kill them.

That, or they just upped the % chance of a dragon showing up while you're fighting something else in the countryside, I think there could be a variable taking care of this. Notice how the second dragon arrives as the first one is dying :)

I dunno if scripting that fight would be a problem, anyway...running around hoping for a dragon encounter, while you're being interviewed, would be pretty derpy

It's obvious they would make the dragon fly to SHOW how it will be in a normal game. Ofcourse the chance of meeting one will be lower than what is presented.

Kraszu

Prophet
Jigawatt said:
thesheeep said:
But what for if your choices don't matter. No_clip isn't my idea of perfect freedom, to make freedom interesting there must be meaningful choices.

I counter your argument with a simple: No.

No, really. What choices do you mean? Story-affecting choices? Moral choices?

I don't claim to speak for Kraszu, but I don't think that's what he meant at all.

Consider the following situation: you're level 5, and you're exploring the wilderness and enter a dungeon, whereby it becomes apparent that the level 8 monsters inside will provide a significant if not deadly challenge. You now have a choice, do I press on, suffering through slow hard fights and potentially a few reloads in the hope that the xp+loot will make up for time lost later on, or do I leave and find a level 5 dungeon to conquer and come back when I'm stronger?)

It is one of the choices, but to make it more interesting I would not have a 5 lvl cave at all. There are other ways to get more powerful, and the game should not have such a dull balance. There are also choices in character development that are rendered pointless by Bethesda you will be god of all anyway approach, there is also no fraction dynamic, joining the guild isn't a meaningful choice there, you don't have to plan your reputation standings with different fractions. You also should be able to sneak around some enemies, choose when to use scrolls that are expensive, and that the gameworld have limited amount of, some interesting things can be done with transforming spells as well, get money to buy a shadow beast scroll, and kill many enemies at low level, observe that some dangerous animals live in peace with Blood Fly so change into one to get into some area where you expect reward (not done in Gothic just an example).

I would also like time to matter, imagine the goodness of planning that SR2 have in open world cRPG (that would require specific design so it would not work for all open world crpg). I don't like a set date like in FO, it practically didn't matter, and it didn't encourage any planing.

As for story C&C that it isn't necessary for me, but it adds to the game, and it would depend on the specific setting when you help a fraction to get they member to become a mayor then it should matter...

Hurdur.jpg

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
thesheeep said:
Better this than the fascinating intellect of worms and insects in KotC, which would always go for your mage for no apparent reason ;)
Zqpcn.png

Flanged

Scholar
abnaxus said:

Looked like the dragon who crashed in the ground scraped up and mounded the earth as it slid along, like planes do in Arma 2. Can't be sure if it did or not, vid quality is kind of blurry. But unless the dragon spawns a "disturbed earth" object behind itself when it comes down, like an Arma 2 plane does, that bit was just pure promo bullshit. There is no way they have implemented deformable terrain all over Skyrim just in case a non-scripted dragon crashes into it during a non-scripted attack.

Other than that, it didn't seem wholly terrible. The two-handed spellcasting creating a more powerful version of the spell is actually a pretty good idea, giving pure mages a decent gameplay (non-LARPy) reason to avoid carrying a giant warhammer of smiting in their other hand.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Flanged said:
Other than that, it didn't seem wholly terrible. The two-handed spellcasting creating a more powerful version of the spell is actually a pretty good idea, giving pure mages a decent gameplay (non-LARPy) reason to avoid carrying a giant warhammer of smiting in their other hand.
Maybe they read Dragonquest or something. Where you can put fire in one hand, cold in the other and make a magic bow and arrow and shoot magic that goes boom!

.Sigurd

Educated
Is it just me or you absolutely need ranged attacks to hit the dragon while it flies? Yay! Jack-of-all-trades characters is imposed to the player now!

Yeah, why can't I hit a creature flying 10m above me with my axe? You mean I'll have to WAIT until he lands, or carry some sort of backup ranged weapon? I want to roleplay a barbarian that kills everything with his axe and doesn't afraid of anything; this seriously cripples my roleplaying.

.Sigurd

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:
Yeah, why can't I hit a creature flying 10m above me with my axe?
Don't be a dumbfuck. The dragon needs to dive to hit the player, otherwise the only thing it can do is breath fire. What I saw in the video was the dragon flying randomly around the player while he hitted it whit ranged attacks.

I'm no larper. I just hate that they impose a kind of character down player's throat. It's would be the same thing if you could only be a gunslinger character in Fallout.

Eh, I don't think that having an enemy requiring a certain tactic to beat is "imposing a character type on the player". People are fine with ghosts not being affected by non-silver weapons, so a kind of flying critter that only attacks from afar shouldn't be much different.

922786-cliffracer_large.jpg

Er, scratch that.

Btw, I'm assuming the flying one in the video was just refusing to land because Todd was on the top of a little tower. And in any case, if you really need ranged attacks to kill it, maybe you could just run away, since dragon fights are DYNAMIC and all that.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
Let's face it. Dragon would easily kill even the best warrior. Dragon would simply crush him with it's body or burn him, etc.
Only very powerful wizard should have any chance.
But then it would ruin the game, because warrior/thief player could not kill dragoonz. How sad.

jancobblepot

Educated
Tel Velothi said:
Let's face it. Dragon would easily kill even the best warrior. Dragon would simply crush him with it's body or burn him, etc.
But then it would ruin the game, because warrior/thief player could not kill dragoonz. How sad.

Beowulf says hi.

.Sigurd

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:
Eh, I don't think that having an enemy requiring a certain tactic to beat is "imposing a character type on the player". People are fine with ghosts not being affected by non-silver weapons, so a kind of flying critter that only attacks from afar shouldn't be much different.
I think you're mistaking different gameplay styles with different tactics. Any class in TES games can beat a ghost, it just require a different tactic instead of simply swinging your iron sword at it like you would do with a bandit (the tactic in question would be the use of silver weapons or spells).
In the case of the dragon only ranged classes can hit it, but oh wait! There's no classes anymore! Everyone will be ninja battle-mages dressed like barbarians with a marksmanship diploma, exactly the type of character that Toddinho was playing.

Tel Velothi said:
It would not be a problem if dragons only played a minor hole in the game, but that's not the case.

Sigurd said:
I think you're mistaking different gameplay styles with different tactics. Any class in TES games can beat a ghost, it just require a different tactic instead of simply swinging your iron sword at it like you would do with a bandit (the tactic in question would be the use of silver weapons or spells).
In the case of the dragon only ranged classes can hit it, but oh wait! There's no classes anymore! Everyone will be ninja battle-mages dressed like barbarians with a marksmanship diploma, exactly the type of character that Toddinho was playing.

Ok, now I'm confused. You understand that any character can fight a ghost if they have the appropriate equipment (silver weapons or spells), but a flying dragon somehow requires your character to be a specialized ranged class, instead of just having the appropriate equipment (ranged weapon). Why is that?

If it's about a dragon being much stronger than a ghost, then remember that Skyrimgons aren't fixed boss fights, so you could just run away if you have no way to hit one that refuses to land. And we already know that there are dragons that will engage you on the ground, so it's not like all dragons will require ranged weaponry (this is assuming there's even such a kind of dragon; to me, the one in the video looked like he just didn't want to land at that moment, not that he was permanently airborne, requiring ranged attacks).

About the warriormagethief, that's hardly a new problem in TES.

Tel Velothi said:

Warrior characters in rpgs are monsters that shrug off arrows and cut their way through hordes of orcs big enough to overrun a small country. I don't see why some people think they are playable peasants with nice armor and sword.

.Sigurd

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:
Sigurd said:

Ok, now I'm confused. You understand that any character can fight a ghost if they have the appropriate equipment (silver weapons or spells), but a flying dragon somehow requires your character to be a specialized ranged class, instead of just having the appropriate equipment (ranged weapon). Why is that?
Because your specialized warrior (wich starts with bonus in various melee combat skills) don't need to care about stats to equip a sword effectively in TES games, while he would need in case of a bow since he is not a scout/archer/assassin/other ranged class.

Toddinho disse que você precisa causar certa quantidade de dano antes do dragão cair. Até agora esse é o único momento em que sabemos que o dragão aterrisa para lutar contra o jogador no chão. Enquanto não sair info nova sobre esse assunto (e provavelmente não vamos saber até o jogo ser lançado já que isso não é importante para o pessoal do marketing) nós podemos deduzir que só arqueiros e magos podem forçar o dragão a aterrisar.

MidgetGrant

Novice
I have to say I am very impressed with what I've seen of this RPG.
I am glad that Todd decided to showcase the role-playing and not so much of the combat.

I especially loved the way he was role-playing through that bland and uninteresting landscape and fighting those cool looking enemies. Gosh the perspective on those is really cool!

Prior to this I admit to being a little worried, thinking that this game would be like a modified Oblivion. "Oblivion 2.0" if you will.
But seeing this, wow, this just proves that this is just something else!
I mean with the dragons, it just changes everything.

I can't wait to play my character to the fullest in Skyrim. Doing tons of role-playing stuff, like fighting dragons and running around.

Amazing work Bethesda! You have once again proven you are the king of RPGs!

Lord Richard, please step the fuck off the throne, and let's crown Todd and his team as one of the greats in making relevant RPG's!

@Sigurd: É, mas pelo que eu entendi é exatamente por arqueiros e magos poderem FORÇAR o dragão a aterrissar (descendo o sarrafo nele até ele cansar / se emputecer) que significa que flechas e magias não seriam o único jeito dele descer. Guerreiros teriam que esperar e dar um jeito de sobreviver até o dragão ficar puto e pousar por vontade própria.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Tel Velothi said:

Sounds about right - mages should be more powerful than others. :smug:

jancobblepot

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:
@Sigurd: É, mas pelo que eu entendi é exatamente por arqueiros e magos poderem FORÇAR o dragão a aterrissar (descendo o sarrafo nele até ele cansar / se emputecer) que significa que flechas e magias não seriam o único jeito dele descer. Guerreiros teriam que esperar e dar um jeito de sobreviver até o dragão ficar puto e pousar por vontade própria.

Actually, that sounds great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom