Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sleeping Dogs

The vehicle handing is surprisingly good with K+M. GTA4 was the biggest pile of shit in this regard

Why? I love driving in GTA 4. I tried it once on my friends fagbox with a gamepad and found it a lot less comfortable, mainly due to a lot slower camera turning. He later tried it at my place and agreed that it's a lot better with K+M.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I always felt that the driving was awful. How do I put that... I felt like the cars suspensions were made of jelly. The movement of the cars were too lose, they were easy to spin out in the corners. It just didn't felt right. But maybe it was just me.

I admit it wasn't exactly realistic but I still highly prefer it over driving in earlier GTA games and it felt easy enough to master to me.
So if you were to compare driving in Sleeping Dogs to another game of this type, which one would you choose?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So, I received the review PC copy for the game yesterday. I only had 30 minutes to play last night, but that 30 minutes wasn't pleasent at all. Don't get me wrong. The games looks OK, the gameplay seems OK (as far as I see from 30 mins), but they screwed up the coding for the controllers. I have a gamepad, a joystick and a flight rudder hooked up to my PC, because I play a lot of different types of game. But because the different controllers, the ingame controls were fucked up. I wanted to play the game with a gamepad (fuck you, I know that K+M is great, but third person games with melee combat and driving are better with gamepads), so I had to plug out the joystick and the rudder. But that fucking game still didn't work with my gamepad, because it only works with the Xbox controller, while I have a Logitech. Fuck you Microsoft for demanding the exclusive support of that controller. And fuck the devs for doing this.

And since the game is not out officially, I can't go to the forums asking others how to fix this with a mod or something.
Have you tried a 360 pad emulator?

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fuck you Microsoft for demanding the exclusive support of that controller. And fuck the devs for doing this.

Fuck the morons who use gamepads for PC games (third person games are better with a controller my ass), if it weren't for the likes of you developers wouldn't bother to waste resources mapping the game's keys to such an awfully unnatural-feeling device and in the process completely avoiding to put any effort to fine tune the M+K controls.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, I received the review PC copy for the game yesterday. I only had 30 minutes to play last night, but that 30 minutes wasn't pleasent at all. Don't get me wrong. The games looks OK, the gameplay seems OK (as far as I see from 30 mins), but they screwed up the coding for the controllers. I have a gamepad, a joystick and a flight rudder hooked up to my PC, because I play a lot of different types of game. But because the different controllers, the ingame controls were fucked up. I wanted to play the game with a gamepad (fuck you, I know that K+M is great, but third person games with melee combat and driving are better with gamepads), so I had to plug out the joystick and the rudder. But that fucking game still didn't work with my gamepad, because it only works with the Xbox controller, while I have a Logitech. Fuck you Microsoft for demanding the exclusive support of that controller. And fuck the devs for doing this.

And since the game is not out officially, I can't go to the forums asking others how to fix this with a mod or something.
Have you tried a 360 pad emulator?
Tried, didn't work.

Fuck you Microsoft for demanding the exclusive support of that controller. And fuck the devs for doing this.

Fuck the morons who use gamepads for PC games (third person games are better with a controller my ass), if it weren't for the likes of you developers wouldn't bother to waste resources mapping the game's keys to such an awfully unnatural-feeling device and in the process completely avoiding to put any effort to fine tune the M+K controls.
Yes, they are better. Why, because with a keyboard you only have 8 directions to go, which is a bummer when you have to fight in a melee combat. And moving your character and the camera in the same time is a hassle, when you iare in a fight. They are also digital inputs, instead of the analogue sticks (that's why driving is easier). Go back to 1980, when PC only used K+M. In this day and age I want to use joysticks, gamepads, rudders and any other peripherial which were made for the computer. Gamepads are available to the PC decades ago, even before consoles were really popular.

Try playing GTA4 PC multiplayer with a fagpad then come over here and say how third person games are better with it again. :smug: Even if you host a game with autoaim turned on (feature that only works for pads) you'd still have no chance against K+M users.

Deleted member 7219

Try playing GTA4 PC multiplayer with a fagpad then come over here and say how third person games are better with it again. :smug: Even if you host a game with autoaim turned on (feature that only works for pads) you'd still have no chance against K+M users.

Shooting is better with M&K, driving is better with gamepad. Lots more fine tuning with the thumbsticks and trigger buttons.

driving is better with gamepad

Except that you also need to shoot a lot while driving. At least in modes I play (like Mafiya work). And the fact that I can turn camera around very quickly with mouse makes driving easier for me too.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Yes, they are better. Why, because with a keyboard you only have 8 directions to go, which is a bummer when you have to fight in a melee combat. And moving your character and the camera in the same time is a hassle, when you iare in a fight. They are also digital inputs, instead of the analogue sticks (that's why driving is easier).

What the hell? In M+K the mouse is your beloved 'analog stick' you can go any direction you want just by going forward (W) and directing with the mouse, you can even do lightening-fast 180 turns which with a gamepad takes forever. And A and D are for strafing, which an analog stick in unable to do. You have to map that shit (if it's available at all) to the d-pad and it all becomes an unintuitive fucking mess.

Go back to 1980, when PC only used K+M. In this day and age I want to use joysticks, gamepads, rudders and any other peripherial which were made for the computer. Gamepads are available to the PC decades ago, even before consoles were really popular.

I don't care about dates, decades what's old or what's hip. I will stick to the obviously superior input system and will not be herded into using a shitty system by greedy publishers, lazy devs or stupid people. But when someone goes on saying "gamepads are better than M+K for third person games" it's just plain retarded and should be pointed out.

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist

Nah, fuck that - I like using a controller on the odd game.

If it makes you feel better, I prefer KB+M for most games.. unfortunately, this probably won't make you feel better ;P

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Total Biscuit made a video about the game. He is quite impressed.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
So he lost all his money by betting on the wrong cock?
:hmmm:

Still this looks good,I will probably get it

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I like the "please don't turn off your computer" message when saving. :lol:

Game looks cool, though. Does it run well?

Multi-headed Cow

I clicked the video, clicked ahead to hopefully avoid him talking about the menu for 15 minutes, watched a few seconds where he was defeated by a stationary stairway and fell off of it multiple times, stopped the video and cursed myself for clicking another Totalbiscuit video and cursed Matt for linking it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I clicked the video, clicked ahead to hopefully avoid him talking about the menu for 15 minutes, watched a few seconds where he was defeated by a stationary stairway and fell off of it multiple times, stopped the video and cursed myself for clicking another Totalbiscuit video and cursed Matt for linking it.
Him falling off the stairway made me LOL. XD But the video was good nonetheless, you just picked the wrong part. :D

So, some heads up about the game. On the 2nd day, an HD texture pack became available for the game (downloadable from Steam). The game didn't look too shabby in its original state, but this further improves it. I'm not saying that it is a Crysis killer, but it definitely looks good. And there are so many details in the enviroment. Neon signs, cars, tresspassers, street wendors everywhere. And it is well optimized, loads quite fast, there are no texture pop-ins, or misterious slow-downs.

As for the gameplay. I know that I've said this before, but the melee is ridiculous fun. Check out TB-s video linked above at the 0:55 minute mark, if you want to take a glimpse. The story is very good in its Hong Kong cinema style of way. The main character is likeable, being an undercover cop really takes the toll on him, when he starts to slide to the dark side. The missions - although most of them boils down to beat the crap out of people - are varied, because there is always a little something that is added to them, not just fighting. You can take down drug trafficers, where you have to hack the survilannce system, then mark the bad guys with the camera, so the police can storm the place. Then you can infiltrate an illegal streat racer gang, so you can race on the streets. Since the car control is just as arcade as it needs to be, this is also fun.

There are also chase scenes, which can be done by foot (with parkouring through the obsticles and the trespassers) or car. There are minigames, but not as much as in GTA. You can't play bowling or pool, darts and all that shit (which I hated in GTA anyway), but you can participate in cock fights, where you can bet on your cock, there is a karaokee rythm minigame, street fights, the mentioned car races. And of course there is the dating part. It is not as into your face as in GTA, and usually there is some mission that is connected to it. Like taking the girl to a kung fu class, where it turns out, that the school is your old master's school. Where you have to prove yourself, and help him get back some stolen statues.

So that's a quick heads up about the game. I think it is a good game, recommended to open world and Hong Kong movie fans.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Then why were you interested in the game in the first place? :)

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
my eu retail box came today. i was expecting it to allow me to install it from dvd, not having to strain my mobile internet.. but nooo... installing it from dvd fucking triggers a 5.5gb preload. fuck you steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom