Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, what is so enticing about the Elder Scrolls lore?

GeneralSamov

Prophet
As a side note, regarding the Chimer/Dunmer, am I the only one seeing a parallel between them and Cannanites, from the similarity between the curse of Azura and the curse of Ham (Azura made the Chimers' faces dark, much like God turned the Canaanites' faces dark)?

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Ruprekt said:
Unlike with D&D you could imagine enjoying Morrowind if it had been a novel instead of a game. You get a similar feeling with the Ultima series.

But that's because you are a weak-minded leftist who can only cope with fantasy and genre novels. A real codexer plays roguelikes while reading dostoyevsky.

I have enjoyed at least 50 D&D novels. Wizards is pretty good at finding writers. Far better than Beth ever was.

Santander02

Arcane
Luzur said:
well the Khajiit in Daggerfall are Ohmes-raht, kinda like anime cat-girls, humans with cat ears and tails and very light fur, in Arena they used Ohmes (people that tattoo their faces to look like cats) while Morrowind incorporated Suthay-raht, which are the most common Khajiit race in Tamriel.

Ohmes aren't human or elves, they are khajiit too

Jobasha said:
When Masser is new and Secunda is full, the Ohmes is born. They are like the Bosmer, but sometimes shorter. Many Ohmes tattoo their faces to show they are Khajiit.

When Masser is new and Secunda is waxing, the Ohmes-raht is born. They have light fur and a tail, but they walk on their heels like men, and can be mistaken for men at a distance.

From the Imperial Library

The "rath" suffix simply denotes that a specific khajiit "breed" is bigger, more beastlike than the "normal" one

The khajiit and their subspecies are one of the things that I find most interesting about TES.Too bad that bethesda will probably never bother representing them fully. (Or any of the most unique aspects of the TES lore)

Teepo

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
Teepo said:
I was joking by asking if Oblivion improved the lore.

I guess the question I was wondering was "Does Oblivion even pay attention to the lore?" It doesn't violate it in anyway, does it? So it doesn't really do anything to the lore besides have much less of it?

It does violate it. Violate it with giant metal dildos penetrating each of its holes, while Pete cums all over its face and Todd flogs its back with a multi-headed whip.

Cyrodiil was supposed to be a jungle. They retconned it in order to make it into generic fantasy land. Imperials were similar to Romans in Morrowind, but Oblivion made them into generic boring pseudo-medieval fantasy knights. The political scene of Cyrodiil was completely fucked, too, with the different provincial lords doing nothing at all and there being no political activity from the chancellor and the council, either. Also, the population density is completely fucked since there's only very few cities in the fucking capital province of a huge empire, and the villages are only about half as big as Seyda Neen and there's only a handful of them around. And the imperial city itself is a fucking joke, too - what was supposed to be a huge Venice-like city occupying the whole central island, it was a rather small city without any canals.

LORE RAPE EXTRAORDINAIRE

I love this post. Thank you.

Luzur said:
well the Khajiit in Daggerfall are Ohmes-raht, kinda like anime cat-girls, humans with cat ears and tails and very light fur, in Arena they used Ohmes (people that tattoo their faces to look like cats) while Morrowind incorporated Suthay-raht, which are the most common Khajiit race in Tamriel.

Oblivion used Suthay-raht too, but suddenly they no longer used cat legs. this was explained away with being different sub-species of Suthay-raht, but then we should still have seen the normal cat-legged Suthay-raht too on the streets of the Imperial cities.

Wait, why is that the "Uuuuhn...it's a different subspecies, ok? That's why you aren't seeing the other kinds anywhere, the game is focusing on this one" excuse is ok for Daggerfall and Morrowind, but not for Oblivion?

hakuroshi

Augur
Clockwork Knight said:
Wait, why is that the "Uuuuhn...it's a different subspecies, ok? That's why you aren't seeing the other kinds anywhere, the game is focusing on this one" excuse is ok for Daggerfall and Morrowind, but not for Oblivion?

Because in Oblivion it was a step back in design.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's because the ones in Oblivion were supposed to be the same sub-race as the ones in Morrowind, yet they looked different without any explanation offered for it.

Luzur

Good Sir
Santander02 said:
Luzur said:

Ohmes aren't human or elves, they are khajiit too

did i say they where human? i said they tattooed their faces to look like the cats they descend from, so they kinda look like anime cat-girls.

Clockwork Knight said:

because Daggerfall is an older game, but sure i would like to see other races in Daggerfall walking around too (i think i read that there was plans to make other NPC textures but it was scrapped), maybe DaggerXL can fix that finally.

Santander02

Arcane
Err...you said they are "people that tattoo their faces to look like cats", I understood that as if Ohmes were some sort of khajiit wanabes :lol: . As for them looking like anime catgirls...

ohmes_179.png

Though I am aware that the Ohmes in daggerfall look more humanlike. (And if they were represented in a modern elder scrolls game I almost think the catgirl look is what today's bethesda would go for :P )

Luzur

Good Sir
people for me are being that walk upright and can think, ya know.

also that is a fanmade pic from Tamriel Rebuilt, not official AFAIK.

Santander02

Arcane
If you say so, I am not about to get into a discussion about semantics :P

And you are right, it isn't official artwork, and even if it was the people in charge of making the games are under no obligation to represent the khajiit as they are on said art, just like the suthay magically growing humanoid feet in oblivion shows. I was just trying to express that the ohmes don't have to look anime style catgirls.

Well, I know what I found enticing about TES lore when I first got into it.

I was around 14 years of age when I got Morrowind for my birthday. I had developed an interest in RPGs, but hadn't really gotten deep into any series until then, and my only contact with DnD prior to this was through playing Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. At this point, I was greeted with a sandbox world, with the closest to such an experience before that being my involvement with Might and Magic 6 and 7 (which weren't really that sandboxy).

This was also the first time that I encountered a game with a world with such an emphasis on irrelevant background fluff. There were irrelevant quests, rewards for exploring irrelevant places and there were even lots of books you could read. Hell, given some time you could even learn to decipher some of that deadric writing. Hooray! This has to be the most epic shit ever!

Needless to say, the shit got old very quickli as the game just got more and more stale in comparison to other RPGs I played over the years, leading me to finally draw the conclusion that while the background fluff is indeed quite... developed, it doesn't keep the realization that the games are largely stale experiences with little to offer after the first playthrough and the thrill of the new experience of a 14 year old.

Nowadays, I think that, regarding Morrowind and Oblivion, it is way more fun to fuck around and glitch the shit out of those games than to actually play them.

Ammar

Scholar
I think what's great about ES Lore is that it feels more like actual history than most thought-out games or books. It's often unclear what exactly happened in the past, what the real motivations of people were and the scholars of the world actually disagree about it and have little feuds. The Tribunal and the Disappereance of the Dwemer are good examples. Most other games and books (e.g. FR, LotR) have an exactly detailed backstory of the form Event A -> Event B -> Event C and so on.

malichaixx

Novice
ElecTriCotter said:
Mastermind said:
Commissar Draco said:
BTW Oblibion faction were shit only four to join and but you coud advance in all at once. :retarded:

You could do the same in their morrowind equivalents.
... Except that to advance in guilds in Morrowind, you actually had to improve your skills in the guild's specialty to advance :retarded:

Not to mention that completing certain quests for factions in Morrowind could cut you off from further advancement in others. But they eliminated that to make it friendlier in Oblivion. What, realistic? No thank you, we're consoletards! :decline:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
JarlFrank said:
It's because the ones in Oblivion were supposed to be the same sub-race as the ones in Morrowind, yet they looked different without any explanation offered for it.

They did offer an explanation: they were too lazy to make custom shit for khajiit and argonians.:troll:

What does it matter if they explained it anyway? Even if they had you'd still be bitching, like you're bitching about the bloody jungle, or the "lore raped" tiny settlements that are actually small because it has to run on shitty 100 year old 360 hardware.

Luzur

Good Sir
why no one have modded in that lore correct jungle yet is beyond me.

there has been like 2-3 super mods (all failed/died after some pics and hype) of remaking the Imperial City and the other cities back to lore glory (heck one guy even tried to remake the landmass to its correct size, dunno what happened to him.), but no one has yet to remake the rainforest jungle.

Luzur

Good Sir
Great Forest region? lol? i remember that place as a grasslands type region with legion fortr...err i mean ruins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom