Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, White Gold: War in Paradise.

Just in case nobody knows what this is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Gold ... n_Paradise

The English release is now floating around, so...

Apparently it is a much better game than the prequel, Boiling Point, which I didn't mind in many ways. One thing I really disliked about boiling point was that weapon skills would reset to 0 if you swapped to another weapon.

Anybody here that has played it and wishes to comment on this game? Is it a good game? Good for what it is? horrible?

How much of an improvement is it over Boiling Point?

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey! Thanks for the heads up! I can't say that I liked Boiling point...but I admire the sheer ambition that went into the game. A fascinating turd, I guess you could call it. I'd really like to see these developers make something that's halfway playable. I'm going to give this thing a "demo", and see how I like it.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's pretty cool. Takes a while to get it to work properly, but it's a pretty ok mix of shooter with exploration and RPG elements. A big improvement on Boiling Point which I actually liked for the setting, though the lack of any AI meant that I had to LARP all the way through, making house rules. In a way it was too ambitious for the developers and the technology at the time.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's good for what it is, I would say. Different factions to join, light RPG elements... haven't played Boiling Point but you mentioned weapon skills, Blackadder. Well, there aren't any in here, White Gold only has perks that you can pick on level up, no skills.

reaven

Educated
I liked boiling point.
Can you get wasted in a bar after every mission in this one?

Pussycat669

Liturgist
That sounds like a good last minute Christmas gift. Did they already release the Precursors game too? I would love some Sci-Fi action.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Pussycat669 said:
That sounds like a good last minute Christmas gift. Did they already release the Precursors game too? I would love some Sci-Fi action.
I have Precursors with fan translation on HD. Text part is decent, shooting part isn't. (Thought easy helps to avoid extensive reloading.)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Precursors is awesome. If WG is good for what it is as a sandbox shooter, Precursors is... eh... better for what it is.

Awesome setting, interesting weapons, a not-so-bad space part added... basically it's WG in a scifi setting with spaceship-flying parts.

How the fuck is it possible to like Boiling Point? When I tried that game, it seemed like a tragedy in every way. It even ran like absolute shit, despite my system being way above recommended specs. One of them shitty Russian games Skyway always talks about. Hell, I'd have more fun with Oblivion or even Far Cry 2. Or I missed something there?

JarlFrank said:
Precursors is awesome. If WG is good for what it is as a sandbox shooter, Precursors is... eh... better for what it is.

Awesome setting, interesting weapons, a not-so-bad space part added... basically it's WG in a scifi setting with spaceship-flying parts.

Really? Well...I might have to get that too.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
JarlFrank said:

I'm interested in precusors, but there's next to none info about this game. Can you make a mini review Jarl ?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Multidirectional said:
How the fuck is it possible to like Boiling Point? When I tried that game, it seemed like a tragedy in every way. It even ran like absolute shit, despite my system being way above recommended specs. One of them shitty Russian games Skyway always talks about. Hell, I'd have more fun with Oblivion or even Far Cry 2. Or I missed something there?
I find it more fun than the first Far Cry. Come on, you can fly a chopper and gun down men and vehicles.
I was hoping for a budget version of White Gold or Precursors, esp if I am going to rent it online. Come to think of it I don't think I'll ever play Boiling Point ever again in my life.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
ghostdog said:
I'm interested in precusors, but there's next to none info about this game.
Precursors is to FPS the same as Morrowind is to RPG. It has an uncommon art direction as well.

Weapons look quite different from a normal FPS, there is also significant freedom of movement, and also there are different factions which you can have relations high, or low.

BTW don't judge it from the first few minutes, finish that beginning first. I'd post some images, but I have it on Linux drive, and I'm posting from XP.

Ermm

Erudite
Precursors has a shitty fight music. Music which plays when there is no danger is passable, but when enemy attacks then OMG, it sounds something like from a 0.50$ Akella's FPS game.

But overall it is tons of fun.

mariog

Educated
Mighty Mouse said:
SO is Precursors worth the USD 30 or should I not-remove-from-inventory like a good Ukrainian.

Well worth 30 bucks, it's just a very good game all around as others have said already. I may be biased though, since I've been looking for a similar game for like 10 years.

gromit

Arcane
Multidirectional said:
How the fuck is it possible to like Boiling Point? When I tried that game, it seemed like a tragedy in every way.
I think the key is that it was a tragedy. Choppy, bugged beyond belief in very core-to-gameplay areas, and criminally unfinished, it just plain should have been better, so its good ideas wouldn't be wasted. There's lots of love for many games just like that around these parts, if you haven't noticed.

In hindsight I can't really say I like the game, but there is a fondness there. High-speed first-person drunk-driving with a trunk full of coke, ready to jump out and lay down some lead was awfully fun - like a twisted version of Outlander or something. Until the game did one of its characteristic ten-second visual hangs in which the logic and physics apparently continue, and my car (and stash) were upside-down in the river.

I'll have to check this out... I figured we'd never see it in English; it came out quite a while ago in Russian and it eventually slipped my mind. Although now that modern sandbox games are much more varied, and generally less terrible, than when BP came out, it might not do it this time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom