Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Special overland map encounters in SoZ

Warden

Arbiter
What have you discovered so far? Mention where with a small description of the encounter.

Erebus

Arcane
Halfling thief pretending to be a lost child.

The two Wendersnavens-worshipping gnomes from the OC.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
A pirate captain and his crew.

One-of-many.

An undercover Zhentarim mage with a wyvern.

A samarach patrol that wanted to check me for contacts with yuan-ti.

Some scammer who was selling supposedly magic stuff.

Some diseased ranger and townsfolk.

Slaves defying their Thayan masters.

Wood Elves having a fight with Drows.

Some guy from West Harbour, left by a hag for a later meal.

and I think that's all, although I probably forgot about something.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I loved my fight with One of Many. Killing him at level 11 came back and saved my ass in the Yuan-Ti temple when I went deeper. Having a Gate at hand saved the day. As well as a Warlock Dispel-dispenser.

Black

Arcane
skyway said:
Name: Random Encounter of SoZ
Small description of the encounter: fight more enemies

That's how I fed cohorts to One of Many.
And trained with Kana.
I fought more enemies
OH WAIT

MetalCraze

Arcane
Omg 1/10th of your random encounters wasn't about combat though with the choice to fight more enemies - my god that's an achievement.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Not related to random encounters, but has anyone noticed the connection between the item 'Finch's Hat', which you can buy from Magda in the Veil Theater (MotB campaign) and the bard cohort Finch from SoZ? If you read the item's description you'll see that it talks about a bard who got into trouble for courting some woman in Cormyr, then same situation in some other place. And when you find him in SoZ, he's in trouble because he courted some noblewoman in Neverwinter. It's probably the same Finch.

Also, there's a funny little easter egg tied to the Gauntlets of Ironfist quest. You find the performers who stole the gauntlets in a cabin in the Neverwinter Woods. In said cabin there's an orc who's name is Feargus Orc Heart, which is a reference to Feargus Urquhart, Obsidian's boss.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Another "easter egg" is the name of the luskan commander in port Llast, something along the lines of "Commmander Shaparde".

Warden

Arbiter
I saw in the toolset some special encounters that I haven't found in the game.
Have any of you seen;

Some kind of fiendish spider/s. ?
A hag with 3 ogre bodyguards. ?

Someone mentioned the pirate crew; is that the 4 people including a blue female cleric who uses the OC Hezebel model (without wings)?

Starwars

Arcane
I can't remember the models used in the Pirate encounter, but you can initiate dialogue and have a chat with them. Then you have to decide if you wanna kill them or let them live if I remember it correctly. 4 people sounds about right.

Also, general easter eggs:

You can find a NPC called Skullcrusher, who also appeared in Pool of Radiance (if I'm not mistaken). If you have Ribsmasher with you, there's a bit of a fun dialogue. And of course, Ribsmasher himself is from the NWN2 OC.

When completing the Sensate quest in Neverwinter, there is a small easter egg involving PS:T and the Nameless One.

There are several NPCs (and a quest) that foreshadow the 4th edition. It is also referenced in the ending slide.

Speaking of which, it's pretty cool to retire before you have solved the main quest. The ending you get for that is nice.

There is a pair of bards which appear randomly in the Sword Coast taverns and sing over the tavern music there. I can't remember their names now but they're a reference to Simon and Garfunkel.

Vaarna_Aarne

Elhoim said:
Another "easter egg" is the name of the luskan commander in port Llast, something along the lines of "Commmander Shaparde".
:lol:

Never realized that until now.

Black

Arcane
skyway said:
Omg 1/10th of your random encounters wasn't about combat though with the choice to fight more enemies - my god that's an achievement.

A pirate captain and his crew.

One-of-many.

An undercover Zhentarim mage with a wyvern.

A samarach patrol that wanted to check me for contacts with yuan-ti.

Some scammer who was selling supposedly magic stuff.

Some diseased ranger and townsfolk.

Slaves defying their Thayan masters.

Wood Elves having a fight with Drows.

Some guy from West Harbour, left by a hag for a later meal.
Halfling thief pretending to be a lost child.

The two Wendersnavens-worshipping gnomes from the OC.
1/10? I think not.

Warden

Arbiter
Starwars said:
I can't remember the models used in the Pirate encounter, but you can initiate dialogue and have a chat with them. Then you have to decide if you wanna kill them or let them live if I remember it correctly. 4 people sounds about right.

Has anyone chosen to fight with them? Do they match the description I gave (haven't actually seen them in game, only in the toolset).

There is a pair of bards which appear randomly in the Sword Coast taverns and sing over the tavern music there. I can't remember their names now but they're a reference to Simon and Garfunkel.

Mmmm.. I saw and heard them. They sing so nicely. I actually stood in the tavern and listened to them.. ohh.

Noticed the Shepard.. but they should have given that name to a retard NPC.

Also, what are the quests for the teamwork benefit feats? I was playing only with 3 people so I had no access to those feats.

Erebus

Arcane
Warden said:
Also, what are the quests for the teamwork benefit feats? I was playing only with 3 people so I had no access to those feats.

The only team feat I could get gave a bonus to saves vs fear. It involves entering a cavern and killing a red dragon. Not very exciting. It took maybe 20 seconds for my wizard and my sorcerer to slaughter the "fearsome monster" with Missile Storms. I miss the dragons from BG2 and TOB, they kicked a lot more ass.

Starwars said:

You can find a NPC called Skullcrusher, who also appeared in Pool of Radiance (if I'm not mistaken). If you have Ribsmasher with you, there's a bit of a fun dialogue. And of course, Ribsmasher himself is from the NWN2 OC.

When completing the Sensate quest in Neverwinter, there is a small easter egg involving PS:T and the Nameless One.

There are several NPCs (and a quest) that foreshadow the 4th edition. It is also referenced in the ending slide.

Speaking of which, it's pretty cool to retire before you have solved the main quest. The ending you get for that is nice.

Skullcrusher eh? I think he was the idiot with the eyepatch working for the corrupt councilman Cadorna. You had to go and rescue him from Hobgoblins. I will keep an eye out for him.

Vaarna_Aarne

Blackadder said:
Starwars said:

Skullcrusher eh? I think he was the idiot with the eyepatch working for the corrupt councilman Cadorna. You had to go and rescue him from Hobgoblins. I will keep an eye out for him.
Guess whose sword he has...

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
fastpunk said:
Not related to random encounters, but has anyone noticed the connection between the item 'Finch's Hat', which you can buy from Magda in the Veil Theater (MotB campaign) and the bard cohort Finch from SoZ? If you read the item's description you'll see that it talks about a bard who got into trouble for courting some woman in Cormyr, then same situation in some other place. And when you find him in SoZ, he's in trouble because he courted some noblewoman in Neverwinter. It's probably the same Finch.

It is. Although I think people keep calling him a human when he's a half-elf. He's been a favorite of mine since I made his first item, Finch's Fine Chapeau, in NWN2's OC. I asked George Zeits back in MotB if I could make another Finch item, and he was like "YES! Make lots! Finch is awesome, he needs to be in NX2!" Asking me to put Finch in a game is like asking me to eat candy. And in the immortal words of Mr. J. E. Sawyer, "I fucking LOVE candy." I wanted Finch to be like the friend who continually does insane and stupid shit, but it's so hilarious and he's so fun to have around you can't help but love hanging out with the guy.

Anyhow. I should note you can also get some bitchin' armor if you have Craft Armor and randomly wander the overland map. Little freebie.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Whuh? Hm. I admit I didn't program the odds of them appearing, but every time I ran through Chult I ran into both those guys. Those spiders are bastardfuckers at low levels.

We had a lot more to add, but fuckshits we were under the gun. I was also hesitant to add any of my own since I wasn't the one implementing them. In retrospect, I shouldn't have been such a wuss and just wrote up a couple just to see. Meh, I'll put more in when I mod the thing. One of these days...

Warden

Arbiter
Annie Carlson said:
Whuh? Hm. I admit I didn't program the odds of them appearing, but every time I ran through Chult I ran into both those guys. Those spiders are bastardfuckers at low levels.

Really? You've seen them? You're the first to have mentioned that. Where have they appeared? You encountered both at low levels? Was your default PC male?

And the most important thing; is that with the latest 1.21 patch?
Thanks in advance. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom