Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Special overland map encounters in SoZ

fastpunk

Arbiter
Annie Carlson said:
It is. Although I think people keep calling him a human when he's a half-elf. He's been a favorite of mine since I made his first item, Finch's Fine Chapeau, in NWN2's OC. I asked George Zeits back in MotB if I could make another Finch item, and he was like "YES! Make lots! Finch is awesome, he needs to be in NX2!" Asking me to put Finch in a game is like asking me to eat candy. And in the immortal words of Mr. J. E. Sawyer, "I fucking LOVE candy." I wanted Finch to be like the friend who continually does insane and stupid shit, but it's so hilarious and he's so fun to have around you can't help but love hanging out with the guy.

Heh, thanks for confirming. So this goes back all the way to the OC. Finch is cool, he had a lot of funny comments when exploring new places, plus he's got some unique dialog lines too. I prefer to roll with Umoja though, he reminds me a bit of Mr. Eco from Lost. :D

Annie Carlson said:
Anyhow. I should note you can also get some bitchin' armor if you have Craft Armor and randomly wander the overland map. Little freebie.

I didn't find any bitchin' armor even though I had a fighter with some decent points invested in Craft Armor. Was this on the Sword Coast or Samarach?

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Sister Horta & Spiders - this was back in development time (I hopped over to Aliens RPG about a month before the gold master), and while I PROBABLY didn't have a male character as the leader at the time I don't think it matters. BTW they're both in Samarach.

Patch - No everlovin' idea. I think it was probably an installer fix for the MotB voices going all cracked-out because of the installer.

Armor - it's the Barkplate and Superior Barkplate, I think it appears everywhere. It's part of the variable "goodie system," so it's random chance.

Cohorts - I have a soft spot for all of them (although Septimund and Ribsmasher aren't mine, so while I like them, they're not as close to my heart as the others). Finch and Umoja both are generally affable, good-natured people... I wanted to have a bard that was charismatic (and that got him into trouble) and a druid who didn't have a huge stick up his ass about BALANCE AND NATURE ZOMG (and Ubtao is a pretty interesting, pragmatic deity).

BTW, Quarrel - and I will admit this - I made because an emo overdramatic half-drow boy is something that gave me nonstop fits of amusement. The voice actor, Liam O'Brien, was an absolute ROCKSTAR about this, and we kept joking that he was like "I wear eyeliner and girl pants. My favorite band is Avenged Sevenfold. Do you want to look at my MySpace page? NO ONE UNDERSTANDS ME! I HAVE DARK POWERS!"

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Annie Carlson said:
Armor - it's the Barkplate and Superior Barkplate, I think it appears everywhere. It's part of the variable "goodie system," so it's random chance.

Teehee, I found that.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Nice! BUT did you ALSO find the Howling Staff??

OR that hag-imprisoned guy that if you have an evil cleric in your party, you can have deity-specific I SACRIFICE YOUUUU dialogue? I enjoyed that. Took me like 15 minutes to make 'em specific. :twisted:

Starwars

Arcane
I found the Howling Staff. I also found some crazy chest with a Nymph Cloak +6 plus some other item of asskickery in it, that was nice.

Where is the hag-imprisoned guy, and what Deity are we talking about?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Starwars said:
Where is the hag-imprisoned guy, and what Deity are we talking about?

I found him NE of West Harbour, a shame that my cleric was neutral >:|

Project: Eternity
Found a leather armor without spell failure today when I joined a battle of some Samargol soldiers and the one who had it died. Nice surprise, since I'm soloing with a eldritch knight sorcerer char now :) That will hold me over until I can buy the normal Eldritch Knight chain shirt.

Andrej

Liturgist
I found a Blue Dragon, offspring of the blue dragon in MoTB - it went down way to easy for my level 12 party. Then again, at level 12 my RDD/Bard/Fighter character is pretty much unbalanced and could prolly solo the whole game. RDD's are so broken.

Worm King

Scholar
Hümmelgümpf said:
Not a special encounter, but the Red Wizard in Neverwinter offering experience as a reward gave me a chuckle. :)

I don't get it. Why did it make you chuckle?

I myself had a lol when you meet the elf cohort in the Keep and one of your responses is(paraphrased) "I'm not part of some stupid prophecy, am I?"

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Worm King said:
Hümmelgümpf said:
Not a special encounter, but the Red Wizard in Neverwinter offering experience as a reward gave me a chuckle. :)

I don't get it. Why did it make you chuckle?
A neat fourth wall breaking line that leaves the entire party scratching their heads counts as a major win in my book.

EDIT: Here's what the dialogue node looks like:
experienceaq0.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom