Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Stargate: Timekeepers - real-time tactics game from Slitherine

Ba'al

Scholar
These dumb motherfuckers, of course all the top brass faggots will now proclaim that the Stargate IP is just not worth bothering with. It's like that horrible show they released a while back to gauge interest in the franchise.

Is it so hard to just copy the premise from the original show? How humans have to keep exploring alien worlds to find new tech/resources/allies so they can deal with the big bad? Just with that you have a tech tree and resource gathering/crafting (not a fan but it still seems to be popular after all these years), add some off world team management where you have to choose the between soldiers/scientists/lorefags and their equipment and voila, you have team builds (and autists love making/watching "best build" videos). Worlds could be procedurally generated, you wouldn't know whether to expect enemies or some ruins that hint at a new power source (which means team compositions matter). The only problem is any potential interaction with new races as it would probably have to be abstracted down mmo tier quests like "kill the goa'uld outpost and we'll join you".

There you go, a cheap to make systems based game. You don't even need the rights to use the Stargate name, just name it PalGate and watch the sales skyrocket.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Ignoring the "Oh, this is a Commandos-clone and this isn't what I wanted stuff" the game seems questionable in general. The zat apparently has a limited number of charges for balancing purposes and the staff is a melee weapon. Plus, I'm not really sure making your licensed game what is apparently a hard Commandos-clone is a wise choice. (just reading reviews, not plucking down $29.99 for a new game in a genre I don't really love)
That said, I'm curious as to what people around here would have liked out of a Stargate game. I know there was a really nice fanmade adventure game, but I suspect most people around here wouldn't be interested in that. Officially, I think they tried to make three multiplayer only FPS titles, but all of them were subject to mismanagement and got cancelled.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The zat apparently has a limited number of charges for balancing purposes and the staff is a melee weapon.
That's really dumb but at least the zat makes sense 'cause otherwise it would be overpowered in a commandos game.

That said, I'm curious as to what people around here would have liked out of a Stargate game.
The stargate IP isn't exactly great for video games in general, but I will echo the popular opinion that it is practically tailor-made for a X-Comlike.

The building of bases, exploration, management of squads, etc. All that is already part of the setting.

I don't know how much work would go into building a X-com clone as opposed to a Commandos clone, but it clearly would've been the more popular option.

J1M

Arcane
Ignoring the "Oh, this is a Commandos-clone and this isn't what I wanted stuff" the game seems questionable in general. The zat apparently has a limited number of charges for balancing purposes and the staff is a melee weapon. Plus, I'm not really sure making your licensed game what is apparently a hard Commandos-clone is a wise choice. (just reading reviews, not plucking down $29.99 for a new game in a genre I don't really love)
That said, I'm curious as to what people around here would have liked out of a Stargate game. I know there was a really nice fanmade adventure game, but I suspect most people around here wouldn't be interested in that. Officially, I think they tried to make three multiplayer only FPS titles, but all of them were subject to mismanagement and got cancelled.
The studio that got the licence wouldn't be capable, but here are genres that easily apply:
-FPS (ala Elite Force)
-RPG (ala Mass Effect)
-Management Sim (ala worker placement games)
-Space fleet battles (asymmetric ship combat)

PS: I think Commandos is pretty close to how most of the actual conflict in the show is resolved, it's just not a very compelling experience.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The studio that got the licence wouldn't be capable, but here are genres that easily apply:
-FPS (ala Elite Force)
-RPG (ala Mass Effect)

PS: I think Commandos is pretty close to how most of the actual conflict in the show is resolved, it's just not a very compelling experience.
Exactly what I was thinking.
But the setting is vast and would support practically every genre you could think of.
Sticking closer to the TV series limits it somewhat, but even then there are still lots of genres left.
Man, an Elite Force throwback in the Stargate setting would be heavan.

I'll probably get the game on a sale (like others said, the price is just too high for a genre I'm not really into) .... if the second half of the game ever actually gets released.
The review numbers (ignoring their largely dumb nature) are devastating, though. And that is despite multiple streamer sponsorships, YouTubers, etc. Tons of people definitely SAW the game, but apparently nobody cared.
So I doubt the second half will ever actually get made.
:negative:

So as it is, I can only repeat Ba'al 's words:
These dumb motherfuckers.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
-FPS (ala Elite Force)
-RPG (ala Mass Effect)

Exactly what I was thinking.
But the setting is vast and would support practically every genre you could think of.
Sticking closer to the TV series limits it somewhat, but even then there are still lots of genres left.
Man, an Elite Force throwback in the Stargate setting would be heavan.

I'll probably get the game on a sale (like others said, the price is just too high for a genre I'm not really into) .... if the second half of the game ever actually gets released.
The review numbers (ignoring their largely dumb nature) are devastating, though. And that is despite multiple streamer sponsorships, YouTubers, etc. Tons of people definitely SAW the game, but apparently nobody cared.
So I doubt the second half will ever actually get made.
:negative:

So as it is, I can only repeat Ba'al 's words:
These dumb motherfuckers.
I can't even tell that this is supposed to be a Stargate game when I glance at screenshots. It doesn't look appealing and the lack of any recognizable characters from the tv-series isn't helping either. I also don't like Commandos, so the game has exactly zero appeal. I guess a lot of other people feel the same way when they take a short look at it. A fps or third-person fps on the other hand could have sold more units based on screenshots alone, just a few close-ups of familiar faces and a couple of action scenes reminiscent of the SG1 intro to stimulate nostalgy, ideally with the same score. Heck, just writing this up makes we want to play and buy a game like that.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The game will launch in two parts, Season 1 Part 1 on January 23rd and Season 1 Part 2 later in 2024. Players will purchase the whole of Season 1 for $29.99 but will only get to play Part 1 for now.

I just re-read this. Wut.

Did they seriously launch half a game and then just promised, fr fr, that the second half will come later? Without properly labeling it early access?

Jesus Christ the games industry is imploding in on itself.
Lol, I never even bothered to read that. So glad I didn't give them a dime.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom