Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Stargate: Timekeepers - real-time tactics game from Slitherine

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, I don't remember anything about them being created. I remember them "evolving".

I think you're mixing them up with the replicators, which were created. But if I'm wrong, I'll probably find out the next time I rewatch the show.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah, I don't remember anything about them being created. I remember them "evolving".

I think you're mixing them up with the replicators, which were created. But if I'm wrong, I'll probably find out the next time I rewatch the show.

Created by accident. The explanation offered in the show is that the Ancients just populated the galaxy with humans and gates. One of the planets they chose had that Iratus bug thing, which upon feeding on humans, took up some of their DNA material which made them evolve into the Wraith.

The other explanation came from a novel after the show was over so i don't care.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Created by accident. The explanation offered in the show is that the Ancients just populated the galaxy with humans and gates. One of the planets they chose had that Iratus bug thing, which upon feeding on humans, took up some of their DNA material which made them evolve into the Wraith.
Hmm. I do remember something like this now that you explain it.

Beastro

Arcane

The worst one at first was Teyla. She was such a boring character and poor substitute for Teal'c that i'm 100% convinced they came up with Ronon to try to remedy that shit character without outright getting rid of her. He wasn't that much better but at leat he took screen time away from her. Even her tits didn't make her interesting.
Ronon was at least an anti-hero type that served to remind the good guys when to be ruthless/violent and bitch when they didn't do it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://af.gog.com/game/stargate_timekeepers?as=1649904300

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1523650/view/3882729325733242065

Stargate: Timekeepers out now

Today, we launch part one of
Stargate: Timekeepers
. The game is divided into two parts, each containing seven Episodes that are full single-player missions set in the Stargate SG-1 universe. This real-time tactics game propels you into the heart of a new storyline where time is in short supply and every choice matters as you try to thwart the power-hungry Goa’uld.

You will need to use a combination of stealth, skills, and combat prowess to succeed on the battlefield. Characters take center stage in Stargate: Timekeepers, with each bringing their special skill set to overcome obstacles, foes, and in-game puzzles.

Each Episode needs careful planning and expert use of skills, including “Tactical Mode,” which allows for actions to unfold simultaneously.

features a host of different environments, from the lush jungles of "The Resistance” episode to the snowy highlands of the “Crossfire” episode. Episode One plunges you into the heart-pounding chaos of the “Battle of Antarctica,” with the valiant Stargate commander Eva McCain in a desperate attempt to stop the deadly Kull warriors.

was created in collaboration with Amazon MGM Studios. Part two will be released later this year; when you purchase Stargate: Timekeepers you will have full access to all Episodes in both parts of the game.

Lemming42

Arcane
A lot of the negative reviews on Steam seem to be from people who don't understand the concept of a Commandos game and are complaining that the game isn't a base-building RTS or a turn-based RPG, so it potentially bodes well.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Bad news from the numbers front.

1706069845762.png

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
A lot of the negative reviews on Steam seem to be from people who don't understand the concept of a Commandos game and are complaining that the game isn't a base-building RTS or a turn-based RPG, so it potentially bodes well.
Good grief, you're right. It's like looking into an IQ black hole.

:deathclaw:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've noticed that a lot quite recently with reviews, not just in this game:
"Why isn't this the kind of game that I want to play?! Bad game, bad!"

I get the notion that you'd rather play an RTS in that universe than this niche kind of Commandos game, and I agree with it. Truly an odd choice of genre considering the low level of success this genre has had.
But it is what it is, and it is obvious from screenshots, videos and the store page. So WTF is that complaint?!

People are degrading mentally at an alarming speed and gamers' weird sense of ownership over a dev's product is getting increasingly inane.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I get the notion that you'd rather play an RTS in that universe than this niche kind of Commandos game, and I agree with it.
Should have been a game like X-Com 2. Non-linear, turn-based strategy with replayability.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to buy a kiwi and cry that it's not a pear.

Trithne

Erudite
It has a demo and still this happened.

While I don't disagree that the X-Com formula would suit the franchise, it's not like a Commandos clone doesn't. Both are underutilised genres.

But it's good to see that making anything other than a small number of acceptable modern genres is verboten now, lest you be reviewed to hell.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Looks like what happened to the Dungeon Master clones is happening to the Commandos clones. Not a genre that most people wanted to come back aside from a nostalgia title or two.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I love Commandos clones and my first thought when reading about this game was "what a wierd choice of genre". I guess Shadow Tactics and Desperados III were enough for me to scratch that itch for a long time.

Modron

Arcane
It has a demo and still this happened.
Most people don't play demos, codexers especially. You'll see people asking for impressions of x for hours/days in shoutbox/threads instead of just spending 10-60 minutes playing the readily availabe demo.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The game will launch in two parts, Season 1 Part 1 on January 23rd and Season 1 Part 2 later in 2024. Players will purchase the whole of Season 1 for $29.99 but will only get to play Part 1 for now.

I just re-read this. Wut.

Did they seriously launch half a game and then just promised, fr fr, that the second half will come later? Without properly labeling it early access?

Jesus Christ the games industry is imploding in on itself.

Modron

Arcane

Did they seriously launch half a game and then just promised, fr fr, that the second half will come later? Without properly labeling it early access?

There have been episodic releases before and after Early Access was a thing.

Lemming42

Arcane
Oh god what's a fucking "season" meant to be!! Can you imagine if Half-Life (1, obviously, not the subsequent "episodes" mayhem post-HL2) had released as "Season 1" and it went up to like Blast Pit or whatever and then you had to buy "episodes". I'm going to kill myself.

The new Hitman games did this as well and I'm still not even 100% sure I've played every level. There's probably like ten levels I don't have which all cost £15 or some shit.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

There have been episodic releases before and after Early Access was a thing.
Yeah, and it was never NOT dumb.

Afaik, episodic game releases have stopped almost entirely, with the only remnants being games that offer some other game mode that is the "main" thing, while the episodic part of the game is just an additional thing (like the story campaign in Long Dark).
And Cultic (which is a solo-dev project).

And these games always come with the very big risk that the episodes, whatever they are, will never be finished.
I'll be surprised if Timekeepers will get finished, it doesn't exactly seem a smashing success, idiotic reviews ignored for a minute.
Because even as a Commandos/stealth game it doesn't appear to hit that many marks.

Cadmus

Arcane
I really dont understand why they made this a Commandos clone.
Agree with you guys it should have been an X Com clone instead, that would suit the theme perfectly.
With the commandos games I really need to play one every ten years or so, they are all the same.
There's not even a name for that genre because it's not really a genre, it's really one specific template. C2 was the peak.
I honestly don't understand why SG1 has no good games, or actually why it has no games at all.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
WTF man? The demo was OK at best, though I understand that it was some introductory level and those tend to be heavily on the rails. Was thinking about maybe getting this but the episodic shit kills it for me. Maybe when the whole game is out...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Slitherine strikes again. And some people still wonder why I have nothing but the worst to say about this company.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom