Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Stargate: Timekeepers - real-time tactics game from Slitherine

Lemming42

Arcane
Also I see so many people saying no one is making anything like the Shadow Tactics games and yet here is a semi-major similar title. Maybe the "vibe" is different or something?
I think most of us had just not clocked this one on our radars, or forgot about it. Watching the recent gameplay reveals now, it looks great.

Not a big fan of Stargate myself but this looks like it's gonna be a good one. Just hope the commander in this is less of an absolute arsehole than O'Neill was. And that the voice actors settle on how to pronounce Goa'uld, rather than the "goold/gawld/gawowowold/gawowooold" shit the show kept cycling through.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Also I see so many people saying no one is making anything like the Shadow Tactics games and yet here is a semi-major similar title. Maybe the "vibe" is different or something?
I think most of us had just not clocked this one on our radars, or forgot about it. Watching the recent gameplay reveals now, it looks great.

Not a big fan of Stargate myself but this looks like it's gonna be a good one. Just hope the commander in this is less of an absolute arsehole than O'Neill was. And that the voice actors settle on how to pronounce Goa'uld, rather than the "goold/gawld/gawowowold/gawowooold" shit the show kept cycling through.
I don't just mean here. I see a bunch of people on Twitter with the same idea. And on other forums and Reddit.

Lemming42

Arcane
Could be some kind of marketing failure, I guess. I try to follow news of this type of game as much as possible but this has just totally blown past me until now.

Best bet for them might be to get a playable demo and send it out to the likes of Splattercat or Many A True Nerd or whoever else covers this type of thing and has reasonable reach.

Lemming42

Arcane
Playing the demo now. Not bad at all, though it doesn't feel quite as slick and polished as Mimimi's games. Other than that, yeah, it's literally just another Commandos clone - which is a great thing.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not too shabby tbh fam. Nothing special either. I wonder what other characters are going to bring to the table as the demo shows off just two. The gameplay seems to be very basic take on the classic Commandos formula, no inventory, very few tools/skills per character, apparently very few enemy types as well. Might be worth getting for Star Gate fans, plus there isnt really much happening in the genre anyway... but dont expect to be blown away by this.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I might give that one a purchase.
Not the biggest fan of Commando-styled games, but a big enough fan of Stargate.

And I always thought that setting was just ripe for good games.
Anything would go, really.
Something like this is an obvious choice, but I could also see Stellaris-like games, or smaller scale 4X, RTS, FPS, point & click adventure games.

I've always wondered why nothing was ever really done with the brand, game-wise. Especially in the 2000s.
Of course, by now, I would have thought nobody gives a crap anymore and then this appeared out of nowhere.
Who knows.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I always thought X-Com 2 would be the perfect platform for Stargate mods. There were people working on some, but it seems to have died off.

std::namespace

stargate is a storyfag ip
its in the name, its a gate to gayass mystary stories
where a p90 disintegrates meter thick trees

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Something like this is an obvious choice, but I could also see Stellaris-like games, or smaller scale 4X, RTS, FPS, point & click adventure games.

I've always wondered why nothing was ever really done with the brand, game-wise. Especially in the 2000s.
Of course, by now, I would have thought nobody gives a crap anymore and then this appeared out of nowhere.
Who knows.
There were some insanely popular, and well done, SC:BW mods with Stargate themes. I think the main issue is that there is not a very robust TV to videogame pipeline, outside of ST because it is an OG IP. Where are the Andromeda or B5 game adaptations? It just isn't something that gets done.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

Who knows.
There were like three MP-only games, one was a MMO which got cancelled, the other two were FPS games, one of which was actually released, but didn't last that long. There are also some mobile games which probably sucked. The Stargate Wikia has a list. Honestly, a game set in the early seasons would be pretty neat, you know, before you had bad guys running around with the super advanced technology or were the Ori. You could even make a game where SGC got captured and now the only friendly forces are stuck on the Alpha Site.
There were some insanely popular, and well done, SC:BW mods with Stargate themes. I think the main issue is that there is not a very robust TV to videogame pipeline, outside of ST because it is an OG IP. Where are the Andromeda or B5 game adaptations? It just isn't something that gets done.
There kind of was. Babylon 5 had a couple of space combat games, but sadly they were cancelled. But you had a whole bunch of random shows getting game adaptations, Knight Rider, Desperate Housewives, Lost, Farscape and a whole bunch of shows. Stargate just got unlucky.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The demo didn't grab me. Railroaded tutorial level is a bad showcase for a game like this. Although I already managed to dislike the main characters, especially the guy whose all lines consist of 'UH, UGH, UMM, HURF'.

Also, with both characters having access to infinite ranged distractions (and I'm sure there'll be more to come for others), and one of them being able to turn invisible, I have strong doubts as to this game's difficulty.

And finally, it just felt very unimaginative to me. I don't really see a reason to play this over giving Shadow Tictacs another spin, or finally checking out Desperados 3, which for some reason I still haven't.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There were like three MP-only games, one was a MMO which got cancelled, the other two were FPS games, one of which was actually released, but didn't last that long. There are also some mobile games which probably sucked. The Stargate Wikia has a list. Honestly, a game set in the early seasons would be pretty neat, you know, before you had bad guys running around with the super advanced technology or were the Ori. You could even make a game where SGC got captured and now the only friendly forces are stuck on the Alpha Site.
Jesus.... that wiki page.
What a sad list of offerings. I was more hopeful before I saw that list. Cancelled games, mobile games and MP fodder :lol:

Guess I should be even happier about stuff like Star Trek: New Horizons, even if it is just... well... Stellaris.

Also, with both characters having access to infinite ranged distractions (and I'm sure there'll be more to come for others), and one of them being able to turn invisible, I have strong doubts as to this game's difficulty.

And finally, it just felt very unimaginative to me. I don't really see a reason to play this over giving Shadow Tictacs another spin
I very strongly doubt this game is aimed at the hardcore audience for this genre.

More than likely, this is a somewhat similar deal to Star Trek: Infinite, in that it is aimed more at setting fans that don't really care about more in-depth offerings of that genre.

Then again, does the demo even have difficulties?
Will the final game have them?

MerchantKing

Learned
I sure hope this comes with a painting of major carter being tied up in the space Mongol Chieftain's tent just like the roman women in that painting of Brennus sacking Rome.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
They made one to turn them into humans, even though they never were human

I thought they were? I vaguely remember the Lantians being responsible for creating the Wraith, who were basically a mix of human and that bug thingy.

The Wraith were a stupid villain. I did like Todd but at the end of the show he felt overused.

McKay really carried that show all by himself. I didn't mind Shepard as much as some people seem to, but that's possibly because everything else after him was boring as shit.

I liked Zelenka, the Irish doctor or whatever was decent though not great, and i'm not sure what else was there. The discount Segourney Weaver they had as lead was both boring and boringly written. They got Picardo at the end who is a good actor but by that point the show was over so it didn't matter.

I think the best thing about Atlantis is that it was still made to entertain. There wasn't a whole lot of obnoxious SWJ shit, both in terms of politics or writing style. You had McKay's sister who was kinda of a Mary Sue but that's as much as i can remember.

thesecret1

Arcane
The Wraith were a stupid villain. I did like Todd but at the end of the show he felt overused.
They were the first alien I've seen that had a vagina in its hands.

McKay really carried that show all by himself. I didn't mind Shepard as much as some people seem to, but that's possibly because everything else after him was boring as shit.
McKay was excellent, Shepard was more of a generic good guy protagonist. It was good for what it was.

I liked Zelenka, the Irish doctor or whatever
He was Czech, actually.

I think the best thing about Atlantis is that it was still made to entertain. There wasn't a whole lot of obnoxious SWJ shit, both in terms of politics or writing style. You had McKay's sister who was kinda of a Mary Sue but that's as much as i can remember.
I'd say it beat even the later seasons of SG-1, though not the earlier ones. The whole thing was about fun, as you say, unlike Universe, for example, which was all about drama (and shit actors, save for Carlyle, who carried the entire show).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I liked Zelenka, the Irish doctor or whatever
He was Czech, actually.

Sorry, i meant i liked Zelenka AND i thought the Irish/Scottish doctor guy was ok (until they brought him back from the dead where he became a parody of himself). I was commenting on two characters. Zalenka is a great baroque composer most people never heard about btw. Always wondered if they named the character after him:

The worst one at first was Teyla. She was such a boring character and poor substitute for Teal'c that i'm 100% convinced they came up with Ronon to try to remedy that shit character without outright getting rid of her. He wasn't that much better but at leat he took screen time away from her. Even her tits didn't make her interesting.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Anyoway, i actually came here because i like Commandos so i was curious about this clone. Anybody played it past the demo? Is it even out?

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I thought they were? I vaguely remember the Lantians being responsible for creating the Wraith, who were basically a mix of human and that bug thingy.
I remember they were supposed to be an evolution of these bugs. Perhaps there was genetic tampering, but they never considered themselves human and fed by absorbing vitality from others. They were quite a generic evil alien race, but they worked. The second-rate Replicators were lame as hell.
The not-Commies that started a war with the protagonists because the latter refused to share explosives were unintentionally funny though.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah the Genii were kinda of wierd. Only good thing about them is that they had a couple of well known and personally well liked actors, namely Chief O'Brien and Robert Davi. The latter was kinda old and fat but hey, i like the guy.

Reguarding the Wraith, i don't know why we are bothering speculating as google is right there:

https://stargate.fandom.com/wiki/Wraith

So the explanation for how the Wraith came into being i was remembering came from the show itself, but i guess some stupid novel added a new explanation and that's now canon?

Either way, Wraith definitely have human DNA which explains the whole idea of turning them into human, even though the science involved is obviously absurd.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom