Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam Deals - Good or Bad?

Norfleet

Clockwork Knight said:
As the consumer, I'd rather have a clear "You can't do X; you did X, therefore BAN" policy than "You can't do X; you almost did that but failed, normally I'd just lol @ you...but I'm feeling naughty today, therefore BAN".
As the consumer, I will accept only ONE policy: The "I paid for it, it's MINE now and I can do whatever the hell I want with it" policy. Steam utterly fails to deliver on this account and I avoid them like the plague. Steam is a funny way to RENT games. It is no way to actually OWN them.

Sure, but you already enter Steam knowing that, so it's ok - as the consumer, you decide if renting them is unacceptable so you'll buy physical copies only. The problem here is when the agreement changes midway through and "you may not sell your account" becomes "you asked if someone would buy your account - shame it was one month ago so you can't find the post anymore, ooooooops"

Anyway, they gave him the account back so nyah, but I hope that doesn't give someone funny ideas for the future.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
He agreed not to rent / sell his account, but he didn't manage to do that for whatever reason.
But was his agreement actually binding? Have he sing anything, or just clicked off some stupid shit?
When I click on various eulas and stuff, I usually say, loud and clear, "No. Now way. I do not agree on this nonsence" while cliking [OK]. In my opinion, it invalidates anything this document may contain, so I'm by no means bound by it.
No, this raesoning is no more absurd then the eulas and terms of service itself. :obviously:

Gord

Arcane
Gordon Freeman said:
But was his agreement actually binding? Have he sing anything, or just clicked off some stupid shit?
When I click on various eulas and stuff, I usually say, loud and clear, "No. Now way. I do not agree on this nonsence" while cliking [OK]. In my opinion, it invalidates anything this document may contain, so I'm by no means bound by it.
No, this raesoning is no more absurd then the eulas and terms of service itself. :obviously:

Quite possible that the EULA wouldn't stand a chance in court, at least not entirely.
Still, you would probably have to go to court first.

Protip: Get a lawyer that helps you with your strategy. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom