Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam Deals - Good or Bad?

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The day Steaming pile of shit and Suckpulse drop faggotry like region locks, online activation, DRM on top of DRM etc. is the day i'll consider ever using their services again. Until then GOG and TPB will have to do. Evil publishers made you do it? Man up, faggots and i'll give you my money. Until you do, ill just steal stuff.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Region locks make my head spin when it comes to digital distribution. You'd think they'd get rid of that shit, but no, they still want us to be in the stone age.

baronjohn

Cipher
Publishers want to enforce artificial scarcity on digital data. If you have half a brain you know how fucking stupid stupid this is. A week ago some faggots decided that digital library copies can only be borrowed 26 times. That's right. Digital data in all its endless effortless perfect replicabilitiness can only be copied 26 times because some greedy gnomes want your cash or else they'll have to scale down on their mansions and yachts and underage hookers.

Steam is no better than any other DRM. Don't let your brand fetish deceive you.

PIRATE4LYFE

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Looks like baronjohn fights a good fight between making shitty threads.
:love:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Rogue said:
Lesifoere said:
I therefore conclude that you and Gravy must be broke fucks working for minimum wage. :smug:

Based on the shit that is spewed in all directions as soon as you open your mouth or start banging on the keyboard I'd say you make at least $500.000 a year. :smug:

Of course it is obvious that you completely missed my point once again. I tried simplify it, but it seems you're just too stupid to see what I'm getting at. :smug:

Need more smug emotes. :smug:

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Lesifoere said:
I therefore conclude that you and Gravy must be broke fucks working for minimum wage. :smug:

I conclude that you are wrong. :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

Didn't get rich by paying full price. But I didn't steal for it either.

I also conclude that this thread has served its purpose.

I'm out.

Country_Gravy said:
Black Bart Charley said:
Country_Gravy said:
I would like to hear the dissenting argument about why steam sucks and I am a total retard for buying anything from them.
Your insecurity amuses me.
Also those "oh yes i love steam let me suck ur dick gabe" dudes are funny. Metro is especially guilty of it. He is liek Pretty Princess, only existing in Steam threads. Ah and Multiheadedcow is also one of those. He even posts steam links that are supposed to images. Steams sucks so much, it wont let you embed.
Your douchbaggery amuses me, as does your lack of ability to interpret obvious sarcasm.
Thanks for adding nothing closely resembling something helpful to this thread.
Ah, nerds, nerds never change. You see, son, if an ant shits on an elephant, the elephant doesnt care, at all. He doesnt put a a shield in the middle of the savannah asking cheetas what to do and he certainly doesnt post a comment on the interwebs. The elephant is tall and therefore he sees far.
He also isnt delusional. Cause hacking around on pirates and at the same time paying 1/10 of a game worth is not kewl. Because lets face it, no serious developer could survive selling aaa games for 5 bucks, right? So you are a cheap freerider, a moral relativist and a faggot.
Now hush, run along, kiddo, before I unleash my powers of cognition and clairvoyage.

Prime rib, all you can eat:
You don't know shit about how much cash I have and there is a good chance I have a much bigger cock than you do.
If you do have tons of cash, why would you steal games?
I can spoof my ip address if I don't want the people selling the games to find out where I am
I have pirated a game and I feel shitty about it
If the money doesn't go to the developer it goes to the person who owns the ip rights for the game which is good enough for me.

Multi-headed Cow

Actually you can embed those images, just not on the Codex. This prestigious magazine needs new glossy paper.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Black Bart Charley said:
Country_Gravy said:
Black Bart Charley said:
Country_Gravy said:
I would like to hear the dissenting argument about why steam sucks and I am a total retard for buying anything from them.
Your insecurity amuses me.
Also those "oh yes i love steam let me suck ur dick gabe" dudes are funny. Metro is especially guilty of it. He is liek Pretty Princess, only existing in Steam threads. Ah and Multiheadedcow is also one of those. He even posts steam links that are supposed to images. Steams sucks so much, it wont let you embed.
Your douchbaggery amuses me, as does your lack of ability to interpret obvious sarcasm.
Thanks for adding nothing closely resembling something helpful to this thread.
Ah, nerds, nerds never change. You see, son, if an ant shits on an elephant, the elephant doesnt care, at all. He doesnt put a a shield in the middle of the savannah asking cheetas what to do and he certainly doesnt post a comment on the interwebs. The elephant is tall and therefore he sees far.
He also isnt delusional. Cause hacking around on pirates and at the same time paying 1/10 of a game worth is not kewl. Because lets face it, no serious developer could survive selling aaa games for 5 bucks, right? So you are a cheap freerider, a moral relativist and a faggot.
Now hush, run along, kiddo, before I unleash my powers of cognition and clairvoyage.

Prime rib, all you can eat:
You don't know shit about how much cash I have and there is a good chance I have a much bigger cock than you do.
If you do have tons of cash, why would you steal games?
I can spoof my ip address if I don't want the people selling the games to find out where I am
I have pirated a game and I feel shitty about it
If the money doesn't go to the developer it goes to the person who owns the ip rights for the game which is good enough for me.

Here, fishy-fishy....take the bait.

This thread turned out to be more fun than I thought. It devolved into a piracy discussion for flametards much quicker than expected...but then again, this is the Codex.

OK...Now I really am done posting in this thread. I had my laugh and now there isn't much point in fueling the flames. Feel free to continue to talk shit and justify your thievery.

Thanks to everyone who actually talked about steam. The online only issue for DRM sort of bugs me, but if these older games are ones that I wanted to buy back in the day but didn't have the time for them, I think they are worth it. I only play games at home so I should have an internet connect pretty much all of the time. I use GOG and Direct2Drive as well, but I was curious about how people felt about the steam client and I think I got enough feedback to feel OK about using their service.

Bro, drunk srs answer. SRS.
The elephant is tall and sees far. Its a question of perspectiive.
I make 50k a year. I dont know what fuck to do with it bro,. I dont buy stieam games. I can downlaod the elite games that I play whenever i want they dotn have drm. Shit man i could as well install stema but i can buy a burger instead so who cares. doesnt change the fact that you are moral freerider. you can look up some research on gametheoriy and how freeriders can survive in society while the rule breakers tend to be evolutionized away. so there. grow some balls. dont give a fuck.

and multiheadedcow bro direct linke is a directk link codex just doesnt parse it to be so and steam doestn allow it whcih sucks stop tdefending your demons.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Black Bart Charley said:
Ah, nerds, nerds never change.

Calling someone a 'nerd' on an RPG Codex thread = priceless.

:thumbsup:

Also, MHC, you and I are famous! :love:

7hm

Scholar
Mantiis said:
Lesifoere said:
Country_Gravy said:

Someone can't take the heat.

Oh, hey: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... -games.ars

:M

Update: Valve has since posted on its forum that the account has been re-activated.

So even after violating the TOS and admitting as much they enabled his account - that's nice of them.

I wonder how the TOS would stand up in court with various consumer protection acts. Perhaps Valve didn't want to test it.

Zeus

Cipher
7hm said:
I wonder how the TOS would stand up in court with various consumer protection acts. Perhaps Valve didn't want to test it.

Court nothing, it was all about good PR. The last thing Valve wants people to do is think twice about impulse purchases, something that might happen after learning they could lose two G's worth of videogames for posting a "hypothetical."

Norfleet

Blackadder said:
On top of this, I have seen so many companies topple over that I would never trust this type of system. I can name...two? companies that are still alive today, that were around when I started gaming. One is SSG, an old Australian wargaming company. The other is, naturally, the Evil Empire (EA).
And the Evil Empire has come close to the brink of being eaten by someone else before. At one point they were being considered for devourment by...Disney.

Want to know what's even scarier, though? The future of the Internet itself is not secure. Yes, it seems like the Internet is invincible and would never die, but this isn't true: The Internet has been living on borrowed time for a while now. When IPv4 gives up the ghost, every Internet application you have that still uses it goes with it. The Internet is, right now, a precarious thing held together with duct tape and baling wire. IPv4 ran out of addresses this year. It's only a matter of time now before the Internet itself fragments.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Norfleet said:
Blackadder said:
On top of this, I have seen so many companies topple over that I would never trust this type of system. I can name...two? companies that are still alive today, that were around when I started gaming. One is SSG, an old Australian wargaming company. The other is, naturally, the Evil Empire (EA).
And the Evil Empire has come close to the brink of being eaten by someone else before. At one point they were being considered for devourment by...Disney.

Want to know what's even scarier, though? The future of the Internet itself is not secure. Yes, it seems like the Internet is invincible and would never die, but this isn't true: The Internet has been living on borrowed time for a while now. When IPv4 gives up the ghost, every Internet application you have that still uses it goes with it. The Internet is, right now, a precarious thing held together with duct tape and baling wire. IPv4 ran out of addresses this year. It's only a matter of time now before the Internet itself fragments.
Being one of the most important technology of human history, I thin the clever guys will think of something so this won't happen.

What happens if you violate Steam's Subscriber Agreement and you have a library of games worth nearly $2,000? As one user learned, you'll lose access to all of those games.

The user in question, who has a total of $1,794.52 worth of games on his or her Steam account, decided to ask how much another person might pay for such an account. "Obviously I don't want someone to pay $1,800 for my account," the gamer wrote on Reddit. "I'm looking at money of course, not full price considering I bought most of them on sale, but maybe we can come to some sort of deal...Of course if someone actually takes me up I'll be removing my credit card information from the account, along with my friends list."

That was a month ago. A little more than a week ago the user was unable to connect with Steam, and was later informed that the account had been disabled for violating the Steam Subscriber Agreement, which explicitly states "you may not sell or charge others for the right to use your account, or otherwise transfer your account." And according to this e-mail chain, the ban is permanent.

In a later Reddit post, the user claims he or she was simply "asking how much someone would pay for a profile like that" and that the account was never actually sold or traded. However, the intention to sell was clearly there, as another post reads "I WAS 'trying' to sell my Steam account on r/gameswap, but that was over a month ago, you can't even access the post now. What pisses me off is that they waited an entire month, up to last night, before disabling my account. They didn't even send me an email [explaining] why it was disabled, I was just logged off of Steam with no warning."

Ars has contacted Valve for comment and will update the story if we hear back.

This was from the Lesi link posted earlier, just in case nobody read it.

Gord

Arcane
My biggest gripe with Steam is privacy, not DRM.
I don't like DRM, but as far as DRM schemes go, I prefer Steam shit to some of the other shit, like mandatory Internet connection while playing single-player or 3x limited activation (even if they may bulge later).
Also I'm all for reselling your property if you feel so (be it digital data or physical goods), including games, which usually is not going to happen if you go for digital distribution or games with DRM.

Anyway, the Steam discussion is almost always DRM related, privacy seems to be something next to no one cares about.
I certainly don't like Steam sniffing my behavior and even making it available to the other users on the Steam network.
It should be no ones business which games I play and for how long, or what achievements I have unlocked and so on.

@ baronjohn:
Your arguments are unfortunately not much more than an attempt to give your ultimately solely egoistic and parasitic actions the pretense of being idealistic.
While digital goods do indeed not degrade and can be duplicated ad infinitum, they nevertheless have to be created first.
Be it a game, music, an ebook or whatever, some credit has to be given to the creators of this goods. The limitations the industry is imposing on us are something we have to oppose as a society, I think. However, I'd say that the way to go is the middle road, neither the corporate bullshit, nor the equally stupid "There is no intellectual property and copyright AT ALL".

As long as our society is based on the exchange of some sort currency, monetary compensation of the "artist" has to happen.
If you feel that you wouldn't have paid for 99% of your games anyway, the next logical question is why you acquired them at all, given the fact that you obviously don't value them very high?

As a society we have to find an answer to this problems that can satisfy the justified demands of industry/artists (compensation) AND consumers (e.g. free use, property).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So he tried to rent his Steam account, and then said "oh it was just a joke" as damage control. Bullshit liar got dealt the way you are supposed to deal with bullshit liars, and somehow Valve is the evil corporatian here. See, every time there is a story like this, there's always a catch that the "victims" conviniently omit.

Hobo Elf said:
So he tried to rent his Steam account, and then said "oh it was just a joke" as damage control. Bullshit liar got dealt the way you are supposed to deal with bullshit liars, and somehow Valve is the evil corporatian here. See, every time there is a story like this, there's always a catch that the "victims" conviniently omit.

Well, that's the thing. He agreed not to rent / sell his account, but he didn't manage to do that for whatever reason.

It doesn't matter if he's right or wrong about this, the problem is that they decided "trying" was enough when the agreement was about not "selling / renting" (that is, completing the transaction).

and was later informed that the account had been disabled for violating the Steam Subscriber Agreement, which explicitly states "you may not sell or charge others for the right to use your account, or otherwise transfer your account." And according to this e-mail chain, the ban is permanent.

As the consumer, I'd rather have a clear "You can't do X; you did X, therefore BAN" policy than "You can't do X; you almost did that but failed, normally I'd just lol @ you...but I'm feeling naughty today, therefore BAN".

Tycn said:
Bros, how much would you pay to use my Steam account?

Trying to sell your account, eh?

END OF LINE

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom