Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STEAM turns into hardware-based DRM, fanlords rejoice

MetalCraze

Arcane
Processors apparently so good that they prompted Gabe Newell to say they’re “a game-changer” and will “bring a console-like experience to PC.”

Processors so good that they work with the same speeds as the ones from 6 years ago?

So steam-buying retards, are you still giving the fat fuck his money?

Destroid said:
Way to misrepresent the article. It's talking about a security feature, which of course could be used as DRM in the future but at this stage it is not, and only functions on specific hardware anyway.

Apparently yes!

Why not force you to confirm your ID by providing live feed from your web-camera and passport data while we are at it? I mean those are for security!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The future

is here

:yeah:

Never bought any steam shit, never will

torpid

Liturgist
People were predicting this: with Steam in such a dominant position, Gabe Newell can really start to throw his massive weight around... They're going to shape the way DRM evolves in the upcoming years. I could even see them turning into Microsoft 2.0, using their position to force everyone onto Steam at the expense of other digital distributors -- "error: files not recognized. Only Steam software can run on this computer."

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Of course you prefer programs that stop working after a month if you don't activate them online?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Steam was already DRM. If you used it you already made a calculated choice to tolerate it in exchange for cheap prices. Really don't see how this changes thing from a practical standpoint.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
I wonder if it would wake up Steam's fanboys. If not that, nothing will.
All this people saying "I don't understand this Steam's hate" sound for me just like "I do bent over daily; so everyone else should also; so I don't feel that bad about myslef"
Would your butthurt become unbearable now? Somehow, I don't think so.

Rogue

Educated
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Of course you prefer programs that stop working after a month if you don't activate them online?

You've been brainwashed, my friend. Why ask us to choose between shit and crap? We can do without both.

ortucis

Prophet
If people don't find the fact that single player games require online registeration disturbing, this new DRM layer over STEAM DRM shouldn't be something they should complain about. I expect to see it implemented in more than just games if PC hardware goes the way of consoles (and it will, sooner or later).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Gordon Freeman said:
I wonder if it would wake up Steam's fanboys. If not that, nothing will.
All this people saying "I don't understand this Steam's hate" sound for me just like "I do bent over daily; so everyone else should also; so I don't feel that bad about myslef"
Would your butthurt become unbearable now? Somehow, I don't think so.

Google translator has failed you.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Rogue said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:

You've been brainwashed, my friend. Why ask us to choose between shit and crap? We can do without both.
I don't use steam. He's a Windows fanboy, which has to include approving DMR practices like making installation more complicated than it should be and online activation.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Metro said:
Really? And what errors did I make?
I have thought that my english is just perfect. I really did. Was I mistaken? Poor me.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Hobo Elf said:
Fellas. It's time to put on our trench coats and sunglasses. ITZ coming to the world of technology.
Not yet though, now is the time to make sure you have the trench and the sunglasses ready.

Wild Slop

Arcane
Gordon Freeman said:
Metro said:
I have thought that my english is just perfect. I really did. Was I mistaken? Poor me.

He's just being :rpgcodex: .
Only thing I could see is you have "bent" instead of "bend".

Still no loss of communication. Its the internet these types of responses should be expected.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
He's a Windows fanboy
Just because I prefer OS that just works without pretentious "lololo if you don't need to spend 2 hours to make some software work for 10 minutes you are consoletard" bullshit doesn't make me a fanboy.

which has to include approving DMR practices like making installation more complicated than it should be
Lawl the Linux dude calls Windows installation complicated - and a part of DRM to boot

and online activation.
I use offline activation

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Metro said:
Steam was already DRM. If you used it you already made a calculated choice to tolerate it in exchange for cheap prices. Really don't see how this changes thing from a practical standpoint.
Stop being reasonable and sensible! You're on the Codex FFS!

genci88

Educated
I don't use Steam except for CS:S.

I buy ONLY boxed copies that come without any online DRM. The day this DRM shit becomes mandatory is the day I become a pirate.

Ogg said:
Metro said:
Sensible people gave Czechoslovakia to Hitler.

genci88

Educated
Also, first paragraph of that article:

Sometimes limiting what you can do with the stuff you’ve bought isn’t such a bad thing. The key is that you choose to limit it, rather than that decision being made by some paranoid corporate hivemind that’s convinced you’re going to stand on a street corner selling bootlegged copies of every game you own out of a suitcase you stole from an old lady, then spending the proceeds on injecting ground-up terrorist bones directly into your eyeballs.

This is funny considering that Steam is by design a restrictive DRM platform that locks all your games into one account, requires internet activation, and prevents reselling. These Steam-lovin morons are hilarious. :lol:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Gordon Freeman said:
Metro said:

I guess it was fairly comprehensible but just amounted to a generic Codex rant.

Ogg said:

Indeed. Steam is what it is. I've said it a million times on this forum but only because people keep beating the dead horse -- it's a form of DRM but if you're willing to make the trade off given the low sale prices it's fine.

Of course, if you're one of these people with a hard-on against DRM and a fetish for owning boxed copies, you will always rant over stuff like this despite the fact that it really doesn't change the status quo at all. I'm not a Steam fan boy by any means it is just that if someone wants to sell me a solid game for $5 I honestly don't give a crap whether or not it's merely a rental/revocable license. It's five dollars -- life is too short to fret over it. If people don't like it then just pirate the game or whatever euphemism they want to use for it and shut the hell up.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Black Bart Charley said:
Ogg said:
Metro said:
Sensible people gave Czechoslovakia to Hitler.
Still better than being Hitler. At least in my opinion.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
MetalCraze said:
which has to include approving DMR practices like making installation more complicated than it should be
Lawl the Linux dude calls Windows installation complicated - and a part of DRM to boot
So, the whole "system restoration" separate disk bullshit isn't a part of DRM?
Linux Mint installation is very simple and user friendly, it doesn't require entering any codes or swapping disks.

MetalCraze said:
and online activation.
I use offline activation
There's no difference. It still forces you to activate the system. And since you haven't pirated your Windows, you support DRM, so shut up about Steam.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Skyway is totally off the grid. He uses a vacuum tube computer that runs on his own punch card software. His internet consists of tin cans attached with string!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom