Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STEAM turns into hardware-based DRM, fanlords rejoice

MetalCraze

Arcane
So, the whole "system restoration" separate disk bullshit isn't a part of DRM?

What system restoration separate disk are you talking about?

Linux Mint installation is very simple and user friendly, it doesn't require entering any codes or swapping disks.
So is Win 7's.

Except installation is the only thing in Linux that works. After that Windows and Linux go the opposite ways, so keep holding onto your user friendly installation process being finally implemented after so many years

There's no difference. It still forces you to activate the system. And since you haven't pirated your Windows, you support DRM, so shut up about Steam.

As I've said I use offline activation. You need to learn to read.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
His underlying point is: everyone makes comprises. Even those of you that claim to have hard line stances, quite frankly, do not. It's all gray areas it is simply a matter of which shade of gray you find acceptable.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Metro said:
I guess it was fairly comprehensible but just amounted to a generic Codex rant.
And? It is a General Discussion for fuck's sake. Were I am supposed to put my rants, generic or otherwise? :stupid:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Gordon Freeman said:
And? It is a General Discussion for fuck's sake. Were I am supposed to put my rants, generic or otherwise? :stupid:

True enough. :salute:

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
Ogg said:
Metro said:
Steam was already DRM. If you used it you already made a calculated choice to tolerate it in exchange for cheap prices. Really don't see how this changes thing from a practical standpoint.
Stop being reasonable and sensible! You're on the Codex FFS!

Reasonable? Hardly. Hardware DRM is not comparable to current steam DRM. It might not mean anything to the current steam user, but it could lead the whole industry to adopt similiar, or worse systems.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Dr.Faust said:
Reasonable? Hardly. Hardware DRM is not comparable to current steam DRM. It might not mean anything to the current steam user, but it could lead the whole industry to adopt similiar, or worse systems.

There are already plenty of examples of DRM that is more draconian than Steam floating around out there. As far as hardware-centric goes, I highly doubt Valve was the only company considering implementing it. Authenticator technology has been in widespread use for a while now in various other commercial fields particularly banking.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Processors apparently so good that they prompted Gabe Newell to say they’re “a game-changer” and will “bring a console-like experience to PC.”

Processors so good that they work with the same speeds as the ones from 6 years ago?

Almost as good as the dual gpu quote.

Nael

Arcane
Hobo Elf said:
Fellas. It's time to put on our trench coats and sunglasses. ITZ coming to the world of technology.

Seriously. Shit like this is enough to turn me to Luddism.

Multi-headed Cow

Wonder if someone gets a TF2 hat if they get around Steam Guard.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Metro said:
but only because people keep beating the dead horse -- it's a form of DRM but if you're willing to make the trade off given the low sale prices it's fine.
The fuck are you talking about?

What's with this "Steam has low prices" bullshit? When the game comes out you pay more for it than for the boxed copy (which includes box and shipping in the price you know) and real life bargain bins also have low prices 1 year later.

But who cares about 1 year later if I want to play a game now?

And yes it isn't a trade off when some game I want is Steam exclusive - so all the choice I have is to either pirate it or install Steam's spyware (which is becoming spyware literally now)

Luzur

Good Sir
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Of course you prefer programs that stop working after a month if you don't activate them online?

i played Half-life 2+episodes and Portal fine enough without Steam activation, thanks to TPB. :salute:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
MetalCraze said:
Metro said:
but only because people keep beating the dead horse -- it's a form of DRM but if you're willing to make the trade off given the low sale prices it's fine.
The fuck are you talking about?

We've had this debate a million times. I couldn't care less if I own a box copy or not. If you do, super. You're a broken record but that is hardly surprising.

But who cares about 1 year later if I want to play a game now?

In your case I find that unlikely due to your disdain for 99% of all current releases. In my case I have enough to play such that I can game a year or two behind the curve and pick up titles when they're discounted. If you want to go rummaging through a bargain bin, knock yourself out.

...so all the choice I have is to either pirate it...

So, like I said, just do it and shut the hell up. Not like anyone here has any hangups on piracy. Don't like Steam? Don't use it. Want to get something in a bargain bin. Go for it. Have to pirate something? Be my guest. Enough with the moronic proselytizing.

Hate to repeat myself, but: Everyone makes comprises. Even those of you that claim to have hard line stances, quite frankly, do not. It's all gray areas it is simply a matter of which shade of gray you find acceptable. Draw your line and go about your business. No need to draw your line then carry on how it is vastly superior to where someone else drew their line. It isn't. You're doing it for show.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well yeah enjoy Steam getting your personal data for whatever purposes, just remember to oil your asshole well so it will slide in nicely

The problem is others will follow Steam's example. And you also can't have a multiplayer game without shitty Steam in Steam only games

Awor Szurkrarz said:
Offline activation is by the phone, yes? That's still activation.

No offline activation as in not removed from the inventory activation

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Never installed Steam, never will :smug:

Alexandros said:
I don't know, it doesn't seem so evil to me. It's true that it may be used for hardware-based DRM in the future, but for now it's just an optional thing . I am a little worried by I still trust Valve to not go that far.

Jesus Christ on a pogo-stick, that's EXACTLY what morons wrote about DLC. And look were we are now.

Canus

Savant
Hardware-based DRM. Bringing a "console-like experience to the PC". Steam looking set to crush all in its path.

So, gentlemen, is this a sign that Cleve was right? Is ITZ truly coming?

Arcanoix

Scholar
And to think Valve was 1 or the only 5 companies I'd really would like to work for. Sadly, this isn't the case now. Another one down the shitter. :(

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
People who hate steam are generally teenagers with no money. The main reason to hate DRM is that your parents buy your food for you.

OMG I tried to pirate First Person SHooter 7: Extra Bloom and steam banned me for life. Oh god my freedom has been stolen by terrorists

Achilles

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
Jesus Christ on a pogo-stick, that's EXACTLY what morons wrote about DLC. And look were we are now.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess. I can certainly understand people fearing the worst based on what we've seen so far from other companies. Steam Guard still doesn't seem to me like an effort to impose hardware-based DRM though.

Canus

Savant
kingcomrade said:
People who hate steam are generally teenagers with no money. The main reason to hate DRM is that your parents buy your food for you.

And there I was thinking it was the incredibly irritating and intrusive nature of its DRM coupled with my unease with tying all my game purchases into a company that is far to close to becoming a virtual monopoly.

Thank you for showing me the light good sir. As I buy my own food I must now believe that Steam and the potential of hardware DRM are truly the best thing for me, you and all of the glorious PC gaming race. :love:

genci88

Educated
kingcomrade said:

OMG I tried to pirate First Person SHooter 7: Extra Bloom and steam banned me for life. Oh god my freedom has been stolen by terrorists
I have a good job and plenty of money. Yet I avoid Steam. ;)

From what I've seen, it is in fact teenagers and the shortsighted folk who love Steam. You know, people who just want to "play the game now" and don't give a crap about its playability 10 years from now.

Steam IS a pile of shit, in that you don't get to own the games you paid for because of restrictive DRM.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
baronjohn said:
they’re “a game-changer” and will “bring a console-like experience to PC.”

holy shit no.

since when is "console-like experience" considered superior to the PC? did i miss something? It boggles the mind.
emot-psyduck.gif

Achilles

Arcane
Newell's "console-like experience" quote was about Sandy Bridge CPUS having decent integrated graphics. What Gabe meant is that most people will be able to buy a new PC (presumably with a Sandy Bridge CPU) and play new games out of the box with a good enough level of performance, even if they don't have a separate GPU.

So these types of CPU (both Sandy Bridge and Fusion) basically mean no more retard whiners who spend $1000 on a PC with integrated graphics and then go "OMG WTF pc gaming is teh expensive consoles rule!#@#!$!". These CPUs have the potential to turn every PC out there into a gaming machine, expanding the PC gaming audience and negating the need for a console. So yes, it really is a game changer

raw said:
since when is "console-like experience" considered superior to the PC? did i miss something? It boggles the mind.
emot-psyduck.gif

Nowhere did Newell say that the console experience is superior. I don't understand all the negative reactions guys.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom