Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends - RIP n-Space!

agris

Arcane
Patron
Are all your shows saturday afternoon man? Some of us got lives.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If a guest ever deserves it in my opinion maybe I'll go there but I am not trying to bring people on to pummel them.
I think the point isn't about if your guest deserves it, but rather what your listeners deserve. If I'm listening to a radio/pod-cast on games, I would like the most contentious gameplay-related issues around said game to be raised in an interview. I think that's what Mustawd is getting at. Discussing with developers gameplay-impacting decisions, that a not-insignificant part of their userbase has responded to negatively, beyond a nominal single question. That's the expectation for a broadcast that we're interested in.

Again, it isn't about the guest being a fuckwad who "deserves it", it's about you raising the real issues that potential customers/fans would care about. You can discuss contentious issues, in depth, without treating your guests disrespectfully. There is nothing disrespectful about logic and truth. It's in your guests hands how they handle themselves when confronted with a reality that they may wish to distort.
Good interviewers and game commenters like Total Biscuit are not afraid like sstacks to callout bullshit in games. That is why they are well known and sstacks is begging listeners on Codex.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Mustawd agris

The show is live talk radio that is simultaneously streamed online for a reason: to be interactive. It's not just a podcast, it's talk radio.

I go out of my way each show to give out the phone number and my Twitter account multiple times.

If the host isn't bringing up stuff you want, feel free to call on in or send a tweet.

Between all of my other responses today and this one, I don't feel like I can say anything else to add to the discussion :)
Man, you are better equipped than the average Eurogamer "Will Torment be like Mass Effect or Walking Dead?" journo, use that to your advantage. The developers will always try to BS you and give you the PR line, try as hard as you can to avoid that without being hostile, take them out of the script, be too nice and they will love it but they only care about themselves and their game not your show.

sstacks

Arcane
Guys and gals, seriously, create the show you want to watch and/or listen to. I'm working pretty hard on the show I want to do.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Guys and gals, seriously, create the show you want to watch and/or listen to.

Well, most people on youtube are doing that already; the viewership numbers on most podcasts and Let's Plays show that these content creators are really only servicing themselves, so to speak.

I'm guessing that you personally don't see a difference between getting 8 viewers or 8000 viewers on a video; but you also can't really fault people for assuming that their criticism matters when the video they're discussing has only 20 or 30 views in total.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I generally agree that sstacks should be more incisive (although he's not as bad as Matt Barton can be) and would direct him to my Codex interviews for an example of how to do so without sounding like a complete jerk, but one thing worth considering is that he's not just some dude on Youtube. He's on the radio (even if it is just a local station in Arkansas). He probably wants to be like "the voice of RPG gaming" in his entire region and that calls for a certain sort of placid neutrality.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
He's on the radio (even if it just a local station in Arkansas). He probably wants to be like "the voice of RPG gaming" in his entire region and that calls for a certain sort of placid neutrality.

Ah, like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Guys and gals, seriously, create the show you want to watch and/or listen to. I'm working pretty hard on the show I want to do.

Shills_Play.png

sstacks

Arcane
I generally agree that sstacks should be more incisive (although he's not as bad as Matt Barton can be) and would direct him to my Codex interviews for an example of how to do so without sounding like a complete jerk, but one thing worth considering is that he's not just some dude on Youtube. He's on the radio (even if it is just a local station in Arkansas). He probably wants to be like "the voice of RPG gaming" in his entire region and that calls for a certain sort of placid neutrality.

Well, close... it's geek talk radio + blog that covers a lot of topics in the geek realm, including but not limited to computer RPGs. I've tended to cover mostly tabletop RPGs, computer RPGs and comic books here lately.

I appreciate my YouTube viewers but it's only a part of the overall picture in addition to the live radio show to the metro and the audio podcast version of the show. The show also replays on http://kryptonradio.com and has a pretty good listenership there as well.

To reference Immortal 's comment above.... I enjoy hanging out at the Codex but I try to participate in general and not just make it about the show. There are a lot of shows I never mention but if it is cRPG related I definitely try to let you know.

sstacks

Arcane
To reference Immortal 's comment above.... I enjoy hanging out at the Codex but I try to participate in general and not just make it about the show. There are a lot of shows I never mention but if it is cRPG related I definitely try to let you know.

You can use that on your site if you want. No royalties required. :smug:

Ah, wait I actually meant ArchAngel 's comment about coming to the forums. But thanks :P

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dan Tudge and Dan O'leary got what was coming to them. I hope neither of them ever gets a job in game making again. And if they do, I'll bring up SCL as an example of how rotten their business practices are. This failure is 100% their responsibility.

Until SCL I'd never seen such a blatant attempt at cheating the audience out of their money by playing on their nostalgia while waving away attempts to point out that what's being delivered has nothing to do with what is being advertised.

A bit of a refresher for the short of memory:
- Constant name-dropping of classics, while knowing they are totally unrelated to the game they were developing:
“When I directed Dragon Age: Origins the mission was to create the ‘spiritual successor to Baldur’s Gate’ and I think players really felt like Origins achieved that,” said Tudge. “With Sword Coast Legends we are also continuing the legacy of the Baldur’s Gate series so you will see strong influences from not only those games, but from Dragon Age: Origins as well.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/12/new-dungeons-dragons-game-storm-coast-legends-coming-in-2015

-
"A DM can do pretty much anything a DM does in a regular pen and paper game"
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...pre-release-thread.96970/page-35#post-3801863

- Deliberately misleading the audience on subjects which could potentially detract players:
"On the subject of alignments, Tudge mentions that chosing the alignment at the beginning of the game in a videogame can be weird, because a player could potentially choose an alignment and then take choices throughout the rest of the game that won't fit it. He stresses the important of providing choices in the game, but from the answer it wasn't completely clear whether alignments will be in the game in some capacity."
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...pre-release-thread.96970/page-50#post-3841455

-
"I definitely think with all those great classic D&D RPGs. there has been a longing for people to go back to that.", "We all grew up on those games, and we all love those games, and we all want to continue to make those games", "The opportunity to bring an adventure back there ourselves was just too much to pass up"
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...pre-release-thread.96970/page-50#post-3853082

- abusing buzzwords like "old-school" and "hardcore" while delivering gameplay like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOiZGWeGxVI

- Promising 5th ed, delivering 5 races and six classes.

- Promising 5th ed, delivering Spell Name I / Spell Name II, etc.

- Cooldowns because of multiplayer. Talk about a lame excuse.

I have nothing against the regular developers - programmers, writers, designers, etc. But for trying to cheat their audience the two Dans deserve to go bankrupt and deserve every refund that was requested. Fuck them, and fuck every cuck who tries to come to their defense.

Oh, P.S.: sstacks, you lost all credibility for me as a reporter on games. I may watch your LPs, but that's all.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, P.S.: sstacks, you lost all credibility for me as a reporter on games. I may watch your LPs, but that's all.

Well, seeing as how I'm not a "reporter" I guess I'll live :P
Making interviews with developers is reporting. Or maybe in the same way Dan Tudge was unaware he wasn't making the next Baldur's Gate & Dragon Age Origins, you were unaware that when you create video content with game developers asking them questions on their upcoming game this counts as reporting?

sstacks

Arcane
A reporter has a certain responsibility to report all aspects of a story and get to the bottom of things.

A radio show host, on the other hand, is more entertainment than journalism.

Telengard

Arcane
Everyone and his mother had already asked the devs those questions anyway. So, asking them again would have just gotten the same boring answers anyone could read anywhere. Not to mention, if the devs have a marketing team on payroll, those are the exact questions they would have been coached for. That's how the system works. The red meat questions (or the tofu questions, as I like to call the public radio versions) are just things to throw to the base, so the base can nod to themselves and agree that the interviewer is one of them. The answer matters not. Which is good, because there never is an answer to those questions.

If you want real off-script answers, and you're not interviewing someone who's out of the industry and doing a tell-all, what you need to do is get the interviewee talking about one of their pet subjects. Get them on one of their own pet rolls, and then get out of the way. You still probably won't get any dirt, but you will get something unique

Mustawd

Everyone and his mother had already asked the devs those questions anyway. So, asking them again would have just gotten the same boring answers anyone could read anywhere. Not to mention, if the devs have a marketing team on payroll, those are the exact questions they would have been coached for. That's how the system works. The red meat questions (or the tofu questions, as I like to call the public radio versions) are just things to throw to the base, so the base can nod to themselves and agree that the interviewer is one of them. The answer matters not. Which is good, because there never is an answer to those questions.

If you want real off-script answers, and you're not interviewing someone who's out of the industry and doing a tell-all, what you need to do is get the interviewee talking about one of their pet subjects. Get them on one of their own pet rolls, and then get out of the way. You still probably won't get any dirt, but you will get something unique

Looking forward to your youtube channel Telengard :salute:

sstacks

Arcane

logo_250px.png

Mustawd

That's such a lame excuse to not ask a question. You're whole argument of "Everyone else has already asked that" is quite strange as you are assuming I as a viewer of sstacks videos have already read every damn article, interview, or press release about this game. I might have heard one or two things, yes. But I don't necessarily have the whole story.

Does CNN not interview a presidential candidate just because they were already on MSNBC or Fox News? Do they avoid asking a lot of the same questions? Of course not. Because CNN probably has an audience that doesn't watch all three.

The reason sstacks didn't ask these type of probing questions has already been addressed by him: It's not the type of show he wants to run. Fair enough. That's his choice. But to dress it up and say that you shoudn't ask a question because you might get a canned answer is ridiculous and bizarre. You might as well avoid having the interview altogether because you know they've already said the same thing to a million other press outlets. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well, I never hid the fact that I like the game. The story campaign and voice acting is actually really good, and the Characters are interesting (Izhkin and Hommet Shaw are the highlights). Act 2 and 3 are better than Act 1, so you'll have to stick in there a while to really appreciate it. I rank the story campaign above NWN2 (which was quite dull), on par with NWN1, but bellow BG1,BG2 and Planescape Torment. The Icewind Dale games didn't have companions with personality, so I didn't find them that interesting.
I usually abhor Internet bullying but this time I have to agree with Irenaeus II (even if he is generally a dumbfuck) all the way from page 30, that you should kill yourself immediately.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom