Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Taking a trip down memory lane

MisterStone said:
I think that we should post a cash bounty to anyone who can win DeathLord. Even if it was worth hundreds of dollars, the time needed to beat that game would still earn more working for minimum wage in Mexico.
About a week ago or so, I started up a party for another attempt at this. I haven't played a whole lot, but right now, my entire party is level 7. I've killed the Necromancer (the main quest on the initial continent), so now I'm going to head to the Pirate's Den in the ruins. I started the Thieves' Guild, but there are just too many groups of Ninjas, who can insta-kill.

My group consists of:
Kobito Ronin
Toshi Ryoshi
Human Ninja
Gnome Shisai
Human Mahotsukai
Human Genkai

I thought of doing a Let's Play thread, and I've got some screenshots, but I don't know if I'll have enough time to play and put it all together.

MisterStone

Arcane
Hey yeah, me too. I hadn't read your post yet, but I decided to give it a shot too... I am still putting a party together. One thing I remember was that sickness/poison and so on was pretty bad, so I know I need at least one healer and one artillery mage... also, do classes like ninja or the monk class (whatever tf it is called) get thief skills suck as pick/disarm?

So right now I got a gnome ronin, a troll barbarian, a mage type guy, a priest guy and one of those monk types (the "holy ninja"). I am not sure if they can all be in the same party, but I will give it a shot. I think that both the ronin and the monk can cast priest spells as well, so hopefully I will be covered.

MisterStone said:
Hey yeah, me too. I hadn't read your post yet, but I decided to give it a shot too... I am still putting a party together. One thing I remember was that sickness/poison and so on was pretty bad, so I know I need at least one healer and one artillery mage...
I've found it to be a good idea to have at least one character that can cast Shisai (priest) spells and one that can cast (Shizen) druid spells. Shisai, of course, have the most healing spells, but only the Shizen school has Cure Disease and Create Food, plus a few other niceties, like Find Land (or whatever its called).

MisterStone said:
also, do classes like ninja or the monk class (whatever tf it is called) get thief skills suck as pick/disarm?
I don't know exactly how good Ninjas and Monks (Shukenja) are at the thief skills, but in the manual, they're listed as being in the 'Thief' group. I really haven't ever tried the Yakuza (pure thief) class, so I can't say how much more effective they are than the 'multi-class' thieves.

MisterStone said:
So right now I got a gnome ronin, a troll barbarian, a mage type guy, a priest guy and one of those monk types (the "holy ninja"). I am not sure if they can all be in the same party, but I will give it a shot. I think that both the ronin and the monk can cast priest spells as well, so hopefully I will be covered.
I'm pretty sure Ronin and Shukenja (the 'holy ninja') can't be in the same group. Ronin have to be Evil (they're anti-paladins, it seems) and Shukenja have to be Good, and Good and Evil can't travel together. From what I can tell, there's absolutely no difference between Ronin and Kishi (Paladins) other than the alignment restriction. However, the Ninja and Shukenja have some pretty significant differences (one can insta-kill, the other can cast Shisai spells), so its probably best to figure out which one of those you want, and build your party around them.

MisterStone

Arcane
For some reason whenever i go into the first town, the guards attack me. I guess it is either because a) most of my party is eeeeevil (although there are neutrals too), or because the disk image that I have of the game is a crack and this is some kind of copy protection. Did you come across this problem?

Nevermind, this problem does not exist when I use a different disk image. I think it was copy protection. :)

*As a side note, I actually own the game with box and manuals... it is somewhere in storage at my parents' house, from many years ago... :)

MisterStone said:
For some reason whenever i go into the first town, the guards attack me. I guess it is either because a) most of my party is eeeeevil (although there are neutrals too), or because the disk image that I have of the game is a crack and this is some kind of copy protection. Did you come across this problem?
I've never had that happen. Several of my current party members are evil, and the guards completely ignore me. I'm certain that the guards attack you if you attack someone in town first (if the NPC attacks you first, you're safe). I think they will also attack if you loot certain locations, but I can't remember for sure. If you do get the guards pissed at you, I recall being able to end that if you disband your current party, and put together a new one, even if its all the same characters.

Which version are you using? I'm using the Apple II one, which I think I got from Home of the Underdogs (downloaded it several months ago, so can't be sure).

MisterStone said:
*As a side note, I actually own the game with box and manuals... it is somewhere in storage at my parents' house, from many years ago... :)
I've got an Apple II copy laying around somewhere, too. I don't remember if I still have the box, but I know have the disks, and probably the manual.

MisterStone

Arcane
Heh, it was in fact copy protection... the HoTU copy works fine.

The game is pretty much like I remember... not much in the way of talking or the like, but lots of exploration. I dunno if I will have the patience to stick with it or not, but I think I remember how to play it now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom