Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Black Hound - dead?

Severian Silk

Not enough people are donating to NWN2. Everyone who wanted to donate has already donated. At this rate, everyone will be sick of donating by the time NWN3 comes out. Volourn said so; it must be true.

Norfleet

fastpunk said:
Norfleet said:
I see no evidence that such a thing has ever existed. It seems like nothing more than lies and propaganda.
Could you be more dramatic?
If you disagree with my assertion, I challenge you to produce a single shred of evidence that this thing ACTUALLY exists, and is not merely a bunch of fake screenshots, lies, and empty promises.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Norfleet said:
fastpunk said:
Norfleet said:
I see no evidence that such a thing has ever existed. It seems like nothing more than lies and propaganda.
If you disagree with my assertion, I challenge you to produce a single shred of evidence that this thing ACTUALLY exists, and is not merely a bunch of fake screenshots, lies, and empty promises.
There is no "Donate" button at the official website.

MetalCraze

Arcane

obediah

Erudite
skyway said:
Norfleet said:
fastpunk said:
Norfleet said:

http://www.enom.com/domains/whois.asp?D ... ubmit.y=18

Your proof that the mod exists is that there is a domain name registered? Halo9.com is registered as well. How far along do you think development is on that? :roll:

MetalCraze

Arcane
obediah said:
Your proof that the mod exists is that there is a domain name registered? Halo9.com is registered as well. How far along do you think development is on that? :roll:

one thing is halo9.com that sounds ridiculous.
other thing is Josh Sawyer saying by himself that he makes such thing in the summer of 2006 - then saying in the beginning of 2007 that he will release it not long after MotB - then registering the domain in July 2007.
I have no doubts he have started this mod. I have doubts that he will finish it though. But I still wish he will.

Norfleet

skyway said:
http://www.enom.com/domains/whois.asp?DomainName=the-black-hound.com&submit.x=19&submit.y=18
Anyone can register a domain name. I myself own a dozen for companies that don't exist. This proves nothing.

Starwars

Arcane
The point is, why the hell would JE Sawyer bother with setting up the website, starting a thread at the Obsidian boards, talk about upgrading the rules etc if he didn't mean to? I mean, lies and propaganda? Propaganda for what exactly?

I doubt myself that it will be released though, as I believe he had to switch job positions a while back (if I'm not dreaming it up) and is likely very busy.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
Lesifoere said:
doctor_kaz said:
A lot of people say that a lot of the free stuff was better than Bioware's commercial products, but this is utterly idiotic

But they are better than Bioware's OCs. The HeX Coda, Elegia/Excrucio Eternum, Tales of Arterra, Almraiven, thegeorge's amazing surreal/horror modules, and so many more. I'd put them above the OCs any day--for better writing, plain more interesting settings/stories/characters and C&C. I've no idea about the premium modules, though, not having played any of them. .

100% agree with this statement. There are plenty more modules, but you have to spend some time to uncover them. The module "Honor Among Thieves" is a better concept and written better then any CRPG I have played including Fallou and even Arcanum. Yet it is only 15 or so hours long and can't be compared on quantity or similar merits. Yet it's gameplay so much more interesting and different then hack & slash repetition that even the big classics like Fallout & Arcanum possess in large quantities.

Another module series, Midwinter Festival & Midsummer Knights Dream play as good or better then BG2 with a much more interesting world background and history. The quests are non linear, and there are plenty of C&C's with results.

Of course the best CRPG mod or game for that matter I've ever played is Hex COda 1 and the uncompleted followup Hex Coda 2. Taking place in a pseudo magitech world of arcane computers and corporations. It involves time travel as well as dealing with whether the PCs can actually affect future events.

There are several RPG mystery mods that are just amazing, Almraiven, Blackthorn, Dances with Thieves amongst others.

You have to decide what you're looking for in a game, Story, Exploration, Tactical Combat, Mystery, Intrigue, Puzzles, Action, Rogue skill based games etc. There are just so many NWN mods you really have to search by criteria that are the most important to YOU. A great choice with great story mod will be reviewed/rated very highly with a great action/combat mod because it appeals to the voters/reviewers.

Just like in the above example of "Darkness over Daggerford", it is a profesisonal looking mod, with great design and play aspects, yet it is also lacking story originality and qiality of writing amongst other things. It really depends on what is the most important things for the player-which is nothing new yet needs to be stressed when people loudly express dogmatic opinions because it is sometimes hard to look objectively, outside the you're narrow focus at things.

Going to start a best NWN mods thread...

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Josh and I have talked about The Black Hound on several occasions, I don't think it is dead, he probably would have told me.

I will ask him and find out, but my speculation is that he is just keeping very busy as the Lead Designer on Aliens. Aliens has been keeping us really busy, not crunch mode busy, but busy none the less.

I'll see what I can find out for you guys.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Norfleet said:
fastpunk said:
Norfleet said:

Starwars said:
The point is, why the hell would JE Sawyer bother with setting up the website, starting a thread at the Obsidian boards, talk about upgrading the rules etc if he didn't mean to?

Starwars' post sums up my thoughts on the matter quite well.

Also, LIES? PROPAGANDA!? Chill out, it's not like the dude is planning to take over the world.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Just talked to Josh and he said The Black Hound is not dead. He has plans to continue working on it in his free time, but there are a few issues.

1) He has been busy with Aliens.
2) His home computer is acting poopy right now.
3) He was waiting to see what patches and features landed in NWN2.

This didn't seem to be a trivial impulse when Josh first talked about it with me. He has a wiki, a website, a bug database, and tons of other resources devoted to it.

For the most part though, he is just one person working on it, so it is slow going.

Starwars

Arcane
Thank you Anthony, much appreciated. You should lend him a hand with the mod. :twisted:

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Starwars said:
Thank you Anthony, much appreciated. You should lend him a hand with the mod. :twisted:

Without a doubt I will. When it progresses to the point where it is ready for multiple people to work on it, he has volunteers waiting in the wings.

obediah

Erudite
skyway said:
obediah said:

other thing is Josh Sawyer saying by himself that he makes such thing in the summer of 2006 - then saying in the beginning of 2007 that he will release it not long after MotB - then registering the domain in July 2007.
I have no doubts he have started this mod. I have doubts that he will finish it though. But I still wish he will.

That's all nice. You should have said that, rather than linking to whois.

MetalCraze

Arcane
obediah said:
skyway said:
obediah said:

That's all nice. You should have said that, rather than linking to whois.

actually I wrote that in the first post of this topic

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" The module "Honor Among Thieves" is a better concept and written better then any CRPG I have played including Fallou and even Arcanum. Yet it is only 15 or so hours long and can't be compared on quantity or similar merits."

Hilariously enough, FO1 is lucky to even reach 15 hours of game time yet I still consider it one of the best games ever. L0L *shrug*

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
MLMarkland said:
Anthony Davis rocks

Carry on.

Brown nosing your superiors already?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom