Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Blade Runner adventure any good?

bat_boro

Arcane
Has anyone here played it?
I'm not one for adventure games, but when a find a good one, I usually enjoy it quite much. Plus I'm a great fan of the movie

So how's the game? Does it star some of the actors of the movie? Would you recommend it?

And are there any issues with XP?

Thanks in advance

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
I havent played it but i have heard nothing but good things about it. So play it!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes. Play it.
It has actors who played Chew, Tyrell, Rachel, JF Sebastian and Leon in the same roles.

bat_boro

Arcane
Yeah, I would most definitely play this one, but the funny thing is - I just checked on wikipedia and it says that the game supposedly sold near 1 million copies. I guess 1 million copies in '97 are waaaaay more profitable than 1 million copies now. So why is there no sequel to this gem, as you guys describe it?

And who owns the license now?

MetalCraze

Arcane
1. Well the game was made by Westwood which is dead now.
2. EA bought Westwood not long after the game was released - and made Westwood do dumbed down versions of its RTS'es, a MMO and a boring shooter
3. The rights to Blade Runner belonged to Virgin Interactive which does not publish games anymore
4. EA may have a license but they are not (pray) interested in something more intelligent than sims and other casual games.

Seboss

Liturgist
I guess point n'click adventure games were not so popular after that. And wasn't Westwood bought by EA by then?

EDIT: skyway beat me.

bat_boro

Arcane
skyway said:
4. EA may have a license but they are not (pray) interested in something more intelligent than sims and other casual games.

Well, why not?
In recent times EA showed that they had interest in new IPs - I'm looking at Dead Space, which was a good game (it seems I'm one of the few on this forum that think so, though) and it was inspired by the right classics - I mean both movie and computer games
Then we had Mirror's Edge, which was, to say the least, quite unusual for an EA game in the gameplay department. Both titles sold reasonably well, if we are to judge from the news.

Maybe after the supposed commercial success of Beyond Good&Evil 2, EA would see a possibility for a Blade Runner third person 3d adventure game (I think classic point'n click adventure is too much to ask for from EA). Of course, given the fact that the owner of the license is kind of unknown, this pure speculation on my part could be a sci-fi classic on it's own

MetalCraze

Arcane
*imagines Blade Runner with minigames, handholding which makes items you need to pick and places where to use those items flash, moronic writing, straight linearity, ugly next-gen grayscale graphics, lots of shooti* GOD NO!

bat_boro

Arcane
skyway said:
*imagines Blade Runner with minigames, handholding which makes items you need to pick and places where to use those items flash, moronic writing, straight linearity, ugly next-gen grayscale graphics, lots of shooti*

Starring Liam Neeson and captain Picard! :lol:

Ok, I see your point

Longshanks

Augur
bat_boro said:
skyway said:
*imagines Blade Runner with minigames, handholding which makes items you need to pick and places where to use those items flash, moronic writing, straight linearity, ugly next-gen grayscale graphics, lots of shooti*

Starring Liam Neeson and captain Picard! :lol:

Ok, I see your point
They'd also need to come up with their own story (the original game does not follow the movie or the book completely, but borrows heavily from both, as well as adding some new stuff). Unless they wanted to use one of the sequels written by Jeter :roll:.

There has been intermittent talk of a sequel to the movie. That would be the most likely path towards a new game. But, here's hoping it never happens. Incidentally - Ridley Scott is bringing two other Sci Fi classics to the screen: A Brave New World and The Forever War.

Deleted member 7219

There's several copies on ebay.co.uk. I might get it when I have some cash to spare.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Very good game, it captures the atmosphere of BR, has multiple paths and brings some more elements form PKD's novel.

There has been intermittent talk of a sequel to the movie.
Please no, they will ruin it. And I seriously can't see Scott making something as good again.

Unless they wanted to use one of the sequels written by Jeter
I think they were once considered as potential bases for a new movie script but thankfully the idea was abandoned, I've actually read them (-_-) The first novel was kind of ok, but really the move doesn't need a sequel. If you crave for a Blade Runner style movie watch Natural City.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The game also has random switches set for many important characters in the game whether they are reps or not - at the start of the game. It's pretty cool as you never know what to expect on your next playthrough - but at the same time - you won't be able to change quite a number of events in the game because of this. Endings you'll able to get also heavily depend on this.

I completed the game 3 times and every time something was different enough.

Deleted member 7219

ghostdog said:
Very good game, it captures the atmosphere of BR, has multiple paths and brings some more elements form PKD's novel.

There has been intermittent talk of a sequel to the movie.
Please no, they will ruin it. And I seriously can't see Scott making something as good again.

Scott doesn't make sequels to his movies, and he treats BR as his favourite kid; seriously, just see what a fuss he made over the Final Cut. He definitely wouldn't be involved.

Longshanks

Augur
^^Doubt Scott would be involved. He's already signed up for two Sci Fi movies. However, screenwriter Travis Wright, definitely intends to work on the script, and was, at one point ('03-05), paid to explore the possibilities. Wright sounds like a complete fuckwit, and has a resume filled with shit. So hopefully his script, if he ever writes it, never sees celluloid.

On PKD-based games. Halcyon bought the rights for first option on all PKD material back in late 2007. They are apparently planning to start work on two PKD-based games in 2010, and will also be working on two movies. I don't think it likely that any of the games or movies will be Blade Runner related.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
One of my favourite adventure games. Up there with Grim Fandango and Full Throttle.

Luzur

Good Sir
its A-OK! just play it and see for yourself.

and on the side note, i saw some news about a remake of Beneth a Steel Sky.

sqeecoo

Arcane
An absolutely excellent game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom