Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Blade Runner adventure any good?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
The C&C in BR is br00tal - up to the point you won't be able to advance the investigation and finish the game :) Like others said - who is/who isn't a replicant is rolled in the beginning of the game (each time it may be different). I remember 3 different endings, but the game's supposed to have over 10. Lot of stuff to discover if you'll experiment and try different approches - you will learn new things about the NPCs and open new paths. There are hidden timed events - sometimes you can get better evidence/results if you act quick, go a proper path or visit places/people in the right order. Also - romance options :P

So if you're a dumbfuck the game won't appeal to you. It's like playing PS:T with 9 INT and 9 WIS.

V-K is done very good - it's very hard to get a definitive reading so most of the time you will piss people off and will have to guess (and IIRC it's not possible to tell if someone was a replicant even during autopsy).

The voice acting is outstanding as well as the cut-scenes. The game uses characters from the movie (some - like Roy Batty - are recycled). /drool

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Well this is an interesting one. What is the story? The P.K. Dick novel, the movie or something entirely different? Is it still published or should one remove it?

bat_boro

Arcane
The more I read this thread, the more I think this is something really outstanding I'm dealing with and the more I want to play the game. Too bad I'll have a chance to do it after a week, at least :?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
bat_boro said:
The more I read this thread, the more I think this is something really outstanding I'm dealing with and the more I want to play the game. Too bad I'll have a chance to do it after a week, at least :?
It is, but it's a rough gem. When you'll start seeing how may possibilities there are, you'll see how awesome the game is. It's buggy (because of too many event variables) so be warned.

Let's say you chase a guy and you can:
go the wrong way,
go the right way,
go the right way, but not fast enough
or you just let him go. Each path has different outcome and gives you different evidence which affects your investigaton. Everything is fluent - you don't pick from obvious dialogue trees. It's what you do, not what you say.

Oh, did I mention Esper?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Blade Runner is buggy? Huh?
I've completed it nearly 4 times and didn't encounter a single bug.

Also another tip - drawing a gun and pointing it at people also affects game. From getting/not getting something to saving/ending your own life.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I've been thinking of trying this game out, it sounds pretty awesome. Is it a bitch to get working right on modern day computers?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Satori said:
skyway said:
It works perfectly on WinXP
Not quite, even after slowing down my CPU I still can't do the shooting gallery or
save the scientist from the explosion

Maybe it's a dual core problem. Try run the exe on one core. (ctrl+alt+del -> processes ->right click the exe -> set affinity -> unmark one of the two cores.)

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
GlobalExplorer said:
Well this is an interesting one. What is the story? The P.K. Dick novel, the movie or something entirely different? Is it still published or should one remove it?
It's definately more reminiscent of the movie, a lot of similar characters and locations.

So there are many paralells, enough to make it familiar. But it diverges from the movie far enough to make it great in it's own right.

skyway said:
I still can't do the shooting gallery
Is there even any purpose/ingame effect to this anyway?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
skyway said:
Blade Runner is buggy? Huh?
I've completed it nearly 4 times and didn't encounter a single bug.
By bugs I meant that some event flags get fucked up, which is perfectly understandable as there are lots of variables.
I completed the game also around 4 times without any problems, but several times I got funny bugs: I had to continue playing as a corpse, some events got stuck in a loop, I've met dead people etc. There's an issue with Day 1 or 2: you've done everything, but the plot won't advance - probably because of doing something in wrong order, but I can't tell exactly how it works. I didn't have this issue on my first two playthroughs so it may be very rare.

skyway said:
Also another tip - drawing a gun and pointing it at people also affects game. From getting/not getting something to saving/ending your own life.
Shh... don't spoil the fun! I can only add that timing is important - doing something too fast/too slow/at wrong time gives different outcomes. Pissing people off is easy (and they have good memory). Screwing something up if done in the wrong order also (i.e. if you collect an evidence and analyze it too late you might not find any use for it).

The game continues after the screw up - you just won't meet all NPCs, gather enough intelligence and know the final version of "truth". You will have a shallow picture of the events. But if you look carefully, think fast or just play one time too much etc. you will be amazed how many different (back)stories the game hides. Last year I played the game and learned something interesting about my superior-whatshisname. Found one thing too much and a whole new subplot emerged - I met some new NPCs, saw new cut-scenes and learned completely new shit about the main players.

There are some difficulty settings that change how the game handles combat and dialogues - try completing the game on the easiest settings first, then switch to hardcore. Runs OK on WinXP, but I also remember having problems in the shooting gallery and with the bomb disarming.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Satori said:
skyway said:
It works perfectly on WinXP
Not quite, even after slowing down my CPU I still can't do the shooting gallery or
save the scientist from the explosion

It has nothing to do with OS, you would've the same at Win98 - it is because of the fast CPU (exactly the same problem as with Fallout 2 global map if you remember)
Google for CPU Killer or some other software like that and slow down the CPU. Although for me it was quite possible to
save scientist
if I acted fast enough (I have 1800 MHz CPU) even without slowing down the processor - just
remember to quickly shoot chains and run out fast and run to the bottom right corner - it is the only place where you will have a success

Shooting gallery has no effect on the game.

bozia2012 said:
By bugs I meant that some event flags get fucked up, which is perfectly understandable as there are lots of variables.
I completed the game also around 4 times without any problems, but several times I got funny bugs: I had to continue playing as a corpse, some events got stuck in a loop, I've met dead people etc. There's an issue with Day 1 or 2: you've done everything, but the plot won't advance - probably because of doing something in wrong order, but I can't tell exactly how it works. I didn't have this issue on my first two playthroughs so it may be very rare.
I've never had any of such issues, however Westwood released a patch with the description "use it if you have database variable problems" - maybe you should try it? Come to think of it I've installed it from the start and I've never deleted BR afterwards.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I think the pretty lady may comment on your achievements in the shooting gallery and that's about all when it comes to its significance in the game.

BTW, on my 4th playthrough I discovered an ending I hadn't even imagined to be available.
Running away in a car with Lucy

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Ooh didn't know about a patch - played only the original release version. I thought games made before 2000 didn't need any patches (except DF) ;)

Thanks for info. All this talk got me craving for another playthrough...

EDIT:
Elwro said:
I think the pretty lady may comment on your achievements in the shooting gallery and that's about all when it comes to its significance in the game.
That's right. I think you can get even more than that ;) The bomb thing is also optional and very hard to execute (and IIRC you can do even more than just save yourself if you have godlike skills).
Elwro said:
BTW, on my 4th playthrough I discovered an ending I hadn't even imagined to be available.
Dude my last playthrough was totally centered around this character (I got some new evidence from the animal shop and probably this put me into the pedotrain) - also got the same ending and a muthafuckin butterflies in my stomach feeling for a vg character lolwtf.

Good game.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I got this when it came out, but unfortunately I don't have the box anymore. It's a great game, one of my favourite point & click adventures.

I think it's the best example of how a game based on a movie should be done - it actually attempts to capture the style and atmosphere in the film and create an experience close to what Deckard goes through in the film.

Briosafreak

Augur
One of the best games ever. I never got the entire 12 endings, although I played it like 20 times, and my wife another ten or so. Brilliant game, from brilliant developers, you don't make games like that anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom