Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Marsal

Arcane
1236242217_manatee-bumps-into-glass.gif

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I wouldn't mind if the PC port has a 30 fps limit, but I heard the console version has a certain area where framerates frop down to 5-10 fps. If they don't fix that, no moniez from me.

It's like Namco is deliberately trying to fuck up that port, so that fanboys won't ask for a PC version of a possible sequel anymore.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
-Same visual quality as PS3

So what, they'll lock resolution to sub-720p and somehow prevent AA/AF? If not, it's better.

-No modding support.

Pity, but that's how most games are these days - and people have managed to mod games without modding support before.

-Gamepad is the recommended control method.

Who gives a shit as long as you don't have to use one.

Crack.

Project: Eternity
holy mother of fuck there are graphicswhores ALL OVER the fucking Codex, if you don't want the fucking game, don't play it, but if "the graphics aren't as good as they could be!" factors at ALL into your argument as to why you think it's bad, just... just get the fuck out. Completely and totally 100% irrelevant to the quality of the game.

potatojohn

Arcane
I think he means that it's locked at 30 fps, which is indeed a total boner killer.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
That would indeed suck dick, but then again japanese devs have always been shit with PC ports.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
holy mother of fuck there are graphicswhores ALL OVER the fucking Codex, if you don't want the fucking game, don't play it, but if "the graphics aren't as good as they could be!" factors at ALL into your argument as to why you think it's bad, just... just get the fuck out. Completely and totally 100% irrelevant to the quality of the game.
You're fucked in the head if you can't see why non-gameplay elements can sometimes hinder or enhance gameplay.

That said, the gfx here are indeed not the problem. I refuse to touch another console port with shitty control schemes. gg From

canakin

Cipher
holy mother of fuck there are graphicswhores ALL OVER the fucking Codex, if you don't want the fucking game, don't play it, but if "the graphics aren't as good as they could be!" factors at ALL into your argument as to why you think it's bad, just... just get th
e fuck out. Completely and totally 100% irrelevant to the quality of the game.

Enjoy your slideshow locked at 30 fps and forced gamepad with uber gameplay. Also nice of you to disregard other points in article and accusing me of being a graphic whore.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Oh man you're so gonna regret that...

Nah I've played all the ports with crappy M&KB implementations, like Dead Space. It's not ideal of course, but I endured and in enduring grew strong.

Project: Eternity
holy mother of fuck there are graphicswhores ALL OVER the fucking Codex, if you don't want the fucking game, don't play it, but if "the graphics aren't as good as they could be!" factors at ALL into your argument as to why you think it's bad, just... just get th
e fuck out. Completely and totally 100% irrelevant to the quality of the game.

Enjoy your slideshow locked at 30 fps and forced gamepad with uber gameplay. Also nice of you to disregard other points in article and accusing me of being a graphic whore.
Well, if it's solely "it's locked at 30 FPS and that's bad," then you're not a graphicswhore, but you said "visual quality," which implies more than the framerate. I had been lead to believe that you were bitching about texture sizes and the things that you normally think of when someone says "same visual quality," not about the framerate the game is locked at, which is not mentioned at all in the entire article. And, if you believe that the texture sizes and that other shit has anything to do with the quality of the game, you are a graphics whore.
As to disregarding your other points: so? I didn't have anything to say about them. You're right about them being bad traits.

SerratedBiz

Arcane

But being locked at 30 fps doesn't make it a slideshow. It's perfectly playable (and enjoyable) in the console versions, why is it suddenly ARRGH FUCK THIS COCKSUCKING GAME in the PC?

Also, gamepad recommended doesn't mean forced. It doesn't mean anything other than they designed it with a gamepad in mind, so the controls might be biased towards using one.

In fact, given the interview's lack of any significant information (or whatever it was), you haven't added anything new to the discussion which wasn't known before and argued about in any of the other DkS threads. This thread is a complete and utter failure and a waste of space.

canakin

Cipher
Well if "designed the game with a gamepad in mind" means pc version's controlls will be like RE4's and menus will be like Skyrim's it might as well mean forced. And you can expect random fps drops just like in consoles if they don't improve their gfx I think.

Nostradumbass

Scholar
games like this were meant for gamepads. it's not a fucking crpg or an fps, ffs. there's no need for ultra precision with the mouse or tons of keys like on a keyboard. its like saying you'd prefer to play fifa on a keyboard and mouse setup.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
games like this were meant for gamepads. it's not a fucking crpg or an fps, ffs. there's no need for ultra precision with the mouse or tons of keys like on a keyboard. its like saying you'd prefer to play fifa on a keyboard and mouse setup.
That's how I played FIFA. :M

Well, just keyboard.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Game will be fine with mouse and keyboard as long as they do the controls right. Gamepad will only be slightly better. At least for single player portion. Getting into PvP where cutting angles and using auto-target less might make the gamepad more optimal. And gamepad will only be better because of the analog stick and your ability to move in any direction on the fly.

Witcher 2 ripped off Demon's/Dark Souls combat model and made it worse. So if you played that game with a mouse and keyboard you'll be fine playing Dark Souls the same way. I expect the controls to work pretty close to Witcher 2's.

You guys are arguing over nothing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom