Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

I think his problem with Agility is that he wants Dark Souls to be more action than RPG.

I think his problem with Agility is that he wants Dark Souls to be more action than RPG.

The hell you even going on about? Dark Souls has always been more action than RPG.
Not really.
At least not more so than the original Souls game, Demon's souls. That game didn't have Agility but it did have Item Burden, a concept sadly abandoned because the ideo of items having a physical presence in one's inventory was too much for the casual gamer to accept as a responsibility. Dark Souls 2 at least made an attempt to add some forethought into ones ability to role play alongside their stats and own up to their decisions, instead of their reactionary "Screw planning, I want it now" thoughts. Even then, the game has plenty of soul vessels...

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Nothing wrong with respecing though. In DS1 if you want to try a new build you have to play the game again and hunt down the items you want all over again.
In DS2 you can just pop a soul vessel and just do it. Vessels are a limited resource too, so its not as if you can do it for free. Soul Vessels are one of the good features of DS2, imo.

Gentle Player

Arcane
I wouldn't have minded item burden so much if the items that you failed to pick up didn't disappear entirely after going through a load screen.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

You must be new here. Dark Souls is definitively 75% action and 25% RPG elements. Souls earns that 25% rating for its extensive character customization and progression options, which constitute one cornerstone of proper RPG design. Unfortunately, many people believe that this one cornerstone is all you need and bam, you've got an RPG—but it ain't so.

The most challenging fights in the series require pure timing, twitch reflexes, and pattern recognition, with stats and gear simply determining how many hits you can take and how quickly you can kill the boss. Adjusting a difficulty slider and/or collecting life hearts and damage upgrades (as in a pure platformer) would accomplish the same thing. Ratchet and Clank would be an RPG by that standard.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The majority of fights require none of that though, once you reach a certain threshold you can simply facetank and chug estus through a fight. And I'd say that threshold is easily reached for 80-90% of the fights if you're being a munchkin. Not to mention the option of bringing in allies to trivialize things. The game is only 75% action if you're challenging yourself on purpose.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I couldn't beat fume knight solo with my character, always dying around the last quarter. Takes too much patience to fight him with a slow weapon.

At least once you unlock his bonfire you never need to worry about being hollow again since if you drop a sign you get summoned in 5 minutes. I think I got around 10 sunlight medals in one sitting there.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I like that he always makes hot red headed female characters (assuming he's a guy. Probably a girl, considering how like every character he/she makes and his profile pic is a chick).
Other than that...eh. All he really does is stack buffs and levels up his character to max stats so he can nuke a boss. I guess its impressive, but not really practical.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I couldn't beat fume knight solo with my character, always dying around the last quarter. Takes too much patience to fight him with a slow weapon.

At least once you unlock his bonfire you never need to worry about being hollow again since if you drop a sign you get summoned in 5 minutes. I think I got around 10 sunlight medals in one sitting there.

Its doable. If scrubs like Woolie from Two Best Friends can beat him with a great sword, you can do it as well.

Hyperion

Arcane
Probably a girl, considering how like every character he/she makes and his profile pic is a chick)

I always assumed Ray Dhimitri is his real name, so probably not a woman. Unless it's short for Rafaella, which is highly unlikely.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Its doable. If scrubs like Woolie from Two Best Friends can beat him with a great sword, you can do it as well.
Well it's not a greatsword, it's the Greatsword.

I'm sure I could beat him eventually but I just summoned a sunbro and moved on. I'm not digging the DLCs too much, nice visuals but there's no NPCs or anything and the bossfights are overtuned (Sinh was fun tho). Also I had to leave iron king DLC midway through because I didn't have an item from the main storyline yet that is necessary to progress, that's p. fuken lame.

Hyperion

Arcane
I actually had a similar problem with Fume on my second character, I was using the same weapon. After recovering from a roll, going for more than 1 swing was simply not worth the risk, as my survivability was heavily dependent on his next move. As frustrating as it is, it's simply not worthwhile to not have a small, quick side arm in your second slot if you're going to use a great weapon.

Craftsman Hammer, Red Rust Scimitar, and Sun Sword are great quick(er) side arms for a Strength or Quality build.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Well it's not a greatsword, it's the Greatsword.

I'm sure I could beat him eventually but I just summoned a sunbro and moved on. I'm not digging the DLCs too much, nice visuals but there's no NPCs or anything and the bossfights are overtuned (Sinh was fun tho). Also I had to leave iron king DLC midway through because I didn't have an item from the main storyline yet that is necessary to progress, that's p. fuken lame.

Yeah, that's what a I mean. He beat him with a Greatsword.
What a confusing name...I wonder what it is in Japanese,because having a weapon called a Greatsword when its not part of the greatsword weapon class is confusing as fuck.

Fair enough, I personally found the Ivory King DLC to be the worse in terms of level design.

sullynathan

Arcane
couldn't beat fume knight solo with my character,
For me at least it was the other way around. I couldn't beast fume knight unless I fought him solo because npc partners died too quickly and gave him too much of a health and damage boost.

I think I beat him with a great sword or great club.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I actually had a similar problem with Fume on my second character, I was using the same weapon. After recovering from a roll, going for more than 1 swing was simply not worth the risk, as my survivability was heavily dependent on his next move. As frustrating as it is, it's simply not worthwhile to not have a small, quick side arm in your second slot if you're going to use a great weapon.

Craftsman Hammer, Red Rust Scimitar, and Sun Sword are great quick(er) side arms for a Strength or Quality build.

Craftsman Hammer is great against the fume knight. That's how I beat him solo on my first run.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Also I had to leave iron king DLC midway through because I didn't have an item from the main storyline yet that is necessary to progress, that's p. fuken lame.

What are you referring to?

For me at least it was the other way around. I couldn't beast fume knight unless I fought him solo because npc partners died too quickly and gave him too much of a health and damage boost.

Same, I never had an NPC or summon that was useful enough to offset the extra health.

I think I beat him with a great sword or great club.

I used both. Good ol' dual wield. Clunky as hell, but looks hilarious and does good damage.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
You're right that you don't summon an NPC since their AI is too dumb/erratic for that fight.

Also I had to leave iron king DLC midway through because I didn't have an item from the main storyline yet that is necessary to progress, that's p. fuken lame.

What are you referring to?
Something that I suppose I need to use on all those objects that just say "Alas, nothing happened" when I examine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom