Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Seaking4

Learned
How the hell are you supposed to run past the Iron Passage when you have fuckers casting slow?

By the time he casts slow you should have reached the area to drop down. Once you reach that area, the enemies won't follow you down and you just have to wait for the spell to run out. Repeat that 1 time and there you go.

I've been to those places, neither was nearly as active as the forest in DS1.

It would be nice if the game had something like DSCM so you can see where people actually are.
DS2 is getting pretty old so of course it's slow on traffic. I just checked the Steam charts for DS1 and 2 and DS2 actually has a just a bit more active players than DS1. 3 still overshadows them both by far though.

Where you choose to PvP should be based on your needs, Bell Keepers for Titanite Chunks and Slabs, Bridge for Dragon Scales and Token of Spite, Brotherhood of Blood arena for Cracked Eye Orbs. Of all of these, I think Bell keepers is easily the most valuable because its the best way to farm chunks until you defeat Nashandra in the main game and Stone Trader Chloanne sells them infinitely.

While its not super active, I do still get consistent matches at the Bell Keepers. As Seaking4 said, watch for the gold border at the warp screen for activity when you can.

For me DS2>DS1>Bloodborne.
My order goes Demon's > DS1 > DS2 > Bloodborne > DS3.
I'm not saying any of these are better than the other, they're all great, it's just that some have more qualities I like than others.
Objectively, Bloodborne is probably actually the best and Demon's the worst.

I was reflecting on this today, in fact, about why I recently decided to start a new playthrough in DS2 instead any of those others. Most opinions I hear and content producers I watch are typically quick to point out DS2 as the "worst" entry in the series. I can see it I guess but I don't really agree with it. DS2 just happens to have the most variety in types of builds you can have and I enjoy the weapon upgrade system. It's the only game in the series in which I feel like I can have two DEX builds that use Katanas and still have them feel different beyond the weight class I choose to have at any moment. The areas may not be visually impressive or as "atmospheric" as the other games but they have plenty of interesting combat scenarios that make me have to think about my approach; which is why Shrine of Amana is now one of my favorite areas in the game when it used to be my most hated back when i first played the game long ago.

Falksi

Arcane
My order goes Demon's > DS1 > DS2 > Bloodborne > DS3.
I'm not saying any of these are better than the other, they're all great, it's just that some have more qualities I like than others.
Objectively, Bloodborne is probably actually the best and Demon's the worst.

I was reflecting on this today, in fact, about why I recently decided to start a new playthrough in DS2 instead any of those others. Most opinions I hear and content producers I watch are typically quick to point out DS2 as the "worst" entry in the series. I can see it I guess but I don't really agree with it. DS2 just happens to have the most variety in types of builds you can have and I enjoy the weapon upgrade system. It's the only game in the series in which I feel like I can have two DEX builds that use Katanas and still have them feel different beyond the weight class I choose to have at any moment. The areas may not be visually impressive or as "atmospheric" as the other games but they have plenty of interesting combat scenarios that make me have to think about my approach; which is why Shrine of Amana is now one of my favorite areas in the game when it used to be my most hated back when i first played the game long ago.

I've not played 3 yet, so just wondering why it's so low down on your list?

Personally I think DS2 is the most "arcade" like DS game, and that's what swings it for me. Progression felt as if it could happen in far more bite sized portions, and that made it way more easier to digest & work real life around. I absolutely loved it.

Personally I think DS2 is the most "arcade" like DS game, and that's what swings it for me. Progression felt as if it could happen in far more bite sized portions, and that made it way more easier to digest & work real life around. I absolutely loved it.

DS3 is the most unoriginal, safe, and boring game in the series. It feels like a step down from both DS2 and Bloodborne. It's too linear compared to its predecessors and has terrible build variety.
It's still fun but I have the least desire to replay it.

Arnust

Savant

DS3 is the most unoriginal, safe, and boring game in the series. It feels like a step down from both DS2 and Bloodborne. It's too linear compared to its predecessors and has terrible build variety.
It's still fun but I have the least desire to replay it.
And yes, it is still a great game. But that is factually true, heavens' sake.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So I fought darklurker.
Holy shit he has to be the cheapest fucking boss in the game.
For starters, to get to him, you HAVE to kill all of the assholes on the way to him, otherwise that stupid fucking fog door won't let you. And they are all bullet sponges. Why do I have to fight those cunts everytime I want to fight the boss? I already cleared the area, let me fight the bullshit effigy eating boss.
Secondly, it needs a resource to access the Dark Chasm of old, so good luck farming for effigies when you run out.
Thirdly, after he splits it just becomes a bullet hell with a nonstop barrage of one hit kill bullshit filling the screen. Fuck off From, stop taking crack cocaine.

Finally killed him. First I melee'd him until his second stage, then I just nuked him with pyromancies. Took like a minute. Still nearly died. Equipping the black robes and a dispelling ring helped.
Should have used Lightning as he is weakest to that. A lightning infused Heide Knight Sword buffed with Sunlight Blade will cut him down quickly.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Finally killed him. First I melee'd him until his second stage, then I just nuked him with pyromancies. Took like a minute. Still nearly died. Equipping the black robes and a dispelling ring helped.
Should have used Lightning as he is weakest to that. A lightning infused Heide Knight Sword buffed with Sunlight Blade will cut him down quickly.

Can't use sunlight blade, sadly :(. Only 30 faith out of 36
My offensive miracles are pretty weak I find, though a lightning infused build is certainly possible with my character.
Flame Swathe is pretty good for nuking him anyway.

Is there a downside to spicing spells? The requirements for some of them are ridiculous.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Is there a downside to spicing spells? The requirements for some of them are ridiculous.
Afaik the only downside is that it takes some farming because there aren't that many guaranteed drops considering how many it takes to spice a req 60 spell to reasonable levels.

Obviously less stat means less scaling too.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Afaik the only downside is that it takes some farming because there aren't that many guaranteed drops considering how many it takes to spice a req 60 spell to reasonable levels.

Obviously less stat means less scaling too.

So Spicing doesn't actually make the spell weaker then? Its just that it's building off less stats?
Cool, I'll try to spice down the GLS. 46 Faith for one of the few good offensive miracles is pretty absurd. Isn't the soft cap like 40?

In other news, killed vendrick with my new character.
A couple of things I've discovered -
- vendrick appears to have high fire and lightning defense but relatively lower magic and dark defense. Which surprised me, as I thought he would have disgusting amounts of dark defense. I only have 4 Giant Souls too.
- Sacred Oath + Weapon buff is really handy. I'm kind of tempted to respec as a crusader and use Sunlight Blade + Sacred Oath and just go nuts. Maybe for NG+. Doing the DLCs now and I want to get all acheivements on a single character. Only have the collection ones left.

Seaking4

Learned
It is not bad spelling but it is bad reading comprehension. Sadly, I do not have a button for that so I have to use bad spelling for multiple purposes.

He said in the "base game". Alonne is in the DLC.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
It is not bad spelling but it is bad reading comprehension. Sadly, I do not have a button for that so I have to use bad spelling for multiple purposes.

He said in the "base game". Alonne is in the DLC.

Fair enough. I did find the base game bosses, smelter included, to be underwhelming.
Smelter felt like every other big dumb boss to me. He just has tracking and a 3 stage gimmick.
Alonne had a cool moveset and boss theme at least.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The problem with agility is the ~ten levels that you have to invest early to get the olde reliable iFrames. This is an issue for players used to DS1 (couldn't respec) or any of the others (has to invest in a seemingly useless stat). It is outset by making the whole mechanic of dodge rolling optional (I've done No Agility once for a Greatshield build, it easy p. Cool), and how much more and faster you level in this game, with the meta SL being at 150 instead of 120, for one. And if you were to farm, + Souls gain items are avaleible pretty early (Silver Serpent +1, off the top of my mind).

It's about the more Action RPG side of Souls, which I'm in the minority for preferring.

I'm actually doing a No Agility Greatshield run at the moment and the game has honestly been easier than my other builds that relied on rolling. I love how strong Shields are in 2, which is very refreshing after playing 3, where Greatshields are just dead weight.
The only roadblock I've had so far is Fume Knight, he was extremely easy when i could roll but now I cant and he hits so insanely hard.

Do you wear heavy armor? Armor doesn't feel as effective to me as in DS1.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Where do people pvp in DS2?

Best PVP is invasions, try invading sunken kang sanctum, dragon aerie and Shrine of amana.

After you accumulate enough sin(by invading and killing players), bluefags will start invading you. So it's win-win.

You can try the arena (which is SL based). The bridge for the Old Iron Keep always has a bunch of red summon signs and the dragon covenant signs on it.

Or you can join the Bell Keeper covenant and just hang around in either of the Belfry location to get invaded or summoned to fight people hanging around in there. I spent many hours fighting people there.

Nothing in the game is SL based, guess you meant SM. There is no upper limit in arena matchmaking, you can get matched with a max. level/stat faggot.

Reddit bridge is kind of lame, because it attracts hackers/gankers.

Your best bet is invading, bell keeping(you may have to wait for a while) and rat covenant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom