Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Precisely.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
First-person perspective, complete freedom of movement including sneaking, there is no tab targeting you moran, completely free-swinging of your weapon (or spellcasting) and miss if you want to. The game feels like a TES game with the necessary considerations taken into account to make it a viable MMO.

You sure they didn't give you Skyrim key?There is no free-swinging in the game,you can't miss.You can get out of reach from melee only with spell,never with moving.Most of your attacks and spell hit 100% if you tab the enemy,yeah some need your cursor to be in the box(that is 60% of the screen).The "sneaking" is just stealth with fade time,it's so ridiculous in PvP,watched one streamer with 30 people in "sneak" mode standing in plain sight when 10-15 enemies moved past them and didn't see them.First-person is known to be there just because morons cried for it and I'm sure no sane person use it.

Soooo... If there's little to no point of grouping and it's mostly solo game packaged as an MMO running on the Skyrim's success bandwagon, what's the point in doing said MMO instead of a GOOD Elder Scrolls game, me wonders?
I want my Lawrence of Elsweyr.

Point is like in every western MMO ,to do dungeons and PvP.And since there is no AH you must join guild to sell shit,it looks like HeroEngine is the problem,but don't quote me on that.
It's WoW ,but more brown.

edit: lol good ElderScrolls game

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So I've been trying to access my account management.

ZKCfo61.jpg

Is this some kind of sick joke?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Obviously so many people are rushing to cancel their subs the site is overloaded.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
From what I've played so far, I'd estimate that the game has roughly 5-10 times as much voice acting as TOR. Even the tailoring supplies merchant in some random backwater has some unique flavor dialogue. If you ask a side quest giver for the "full story", they dump ten Continues worth of spoken dialogue on you.

$200 million seems about right.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPS review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/07/impressions-the-elder-scrolls-online/

All in all, I cannot honestly recommend it. Even with the pitched, wavering skirmishes of PvP, I don’t really know who this game is for. It certainly doesn’t feel like it’s for Elder Scrolls fans. And MMO lovers will easily get their fix from more light-hearted alternatives. Alternatives, I should point out, which will not cost them £40 upfront, followed by a further £8.99 a month in subscription fees. My short playthrough was an excursion into drab and humourless world, full of people and things I really couldn’t bring myself to care about. It is obvious the quests have tried their best not to repeat the cardinal sins of other MMOs. But in doing so they only commit other, equally damning sins. Hackneyed dialogue, poor characterisation, a superficial sense of ‘threat’, and bugs. At its best The Elder Scrolls Online looks like a faithful addition to the lore. At its worst it is a derivative and uninventive anachronism. To me, it played sometimes like a Gameloft game. I actually feel nasty saying that. But I really don’t know what else to tell you.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I wonder why so many of the reviewers are testing the Aldmeri Dominion. Maybe ZO put out a review guide recommending it as the most interesting faction?

Bahamut

Arcane
RPS review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/07/impressions-the-elder-scrolls-online/

All in all, I cannot honestly recommend it. Even with the pitched, wavering skirmishes of PvP, I don’t really know who this game is for. It certainly doesn’t feel like it’s for Elder Scrolls fans. And MMO lovers will easily get their fix from more light-hearted alternatives. Alternatives, I should point out, which will not cost them £40 upfront, followed by a further £8.99 a month in subscription fees. My short playthrough was an excursion into drab and humourless world, full of people and things I really couldn’t bring myself to care about. It is obvious the quests have tried their best not to repeat the cardinal sins of other MMOs. But in doing so they only commit other, equally damning sins. Hackneyed dialogue, poor characterisation, a superficial sense of ‘threat’, and bugs. At its best The Elder Scrolls Online looks like a faithful addition to the lore. At its worst it is a derivative and uninventive anachronism. To me, it played sometimes like a Gameloft game. I actually feel nasty saying that. But I really don’t know what else to tell you.

Its funny because later parts of that quote sound like oblivion/skyrim

Angthoron

Arcane

Its funny because later parts of that quote sound like oblivion/skyrim
I guess MMO players have more refined tastes.

:M

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Bethesda have no idea how MMO works

To briefly play the Devil's Advocate, Bethesda were just the publisher for this turd, so the fact they have no idea how MMO works doesn't have much bearing on the fact that Zenimax Online Studios has no idea how MMO works.

Anyway, I think the video confuses "troll" with "dickweed". And I for one am still saddened that they managed to avoid the trolltastic (and hilariously stupid) idea of having dungeons be open zones that would scale to the number of people (cue some enterprising individuals hiding thirty characters inside). THAT would have been a troll's paradise.

Bethesda quality of writing, but more of it?
Worse, and a lot more.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well... whoever designed this thing obviously never played an MMO before. Even early WoW had the mechanic that teleported a kicked group member out of a dungeon after 60 seconds. And that was a decade ago. This is shit an intern could figure out.

Angthoron

Arcane
Anyway, I think the video confuses "troll" with "dickweed". And I for one am still saddened that they managed to avoid the trolltastic (and hilariously stupid) idea of having dungeons be open zones that would scale to the number of people (cue some enterprising individuals hiding thirty characters inside). THAT would have been a troll's paradise.

Yeah, I don't see anything "trolly" there, guy was just being a typical asshole. He'd also be likely to get a warning or a ban if the group reported him for feature abuse/player harrassment, seeing how they're stomping on everything at the moment.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm enjoying it, been playing it a lot and still only level 16, there is so much to do and explore in the world, the crafting system alone is hands down the best system i have seen in an mmo.

Of course, there are bad and outright terrible decisions and omissions by Zenimax, the inventory system is a proper mess, the bugs in dungeons and quests are ubiquitous, the trading system is a horribly implemented concept with no legs to walk on.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well... whoever designed this thing obviously never played an MMO before. Even early WoW had the mechanic that teleported a kicked group member out of a dungeon after 60 seconds. And that was a decade ago. This is shit an intern could figure out.
The guy ultimately responsible for TESO was also responsible for much of Dark Age of Camelot, and somehow managed to dodge the Warhammer Online catastrophe.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The dungeon discussion is pointless, because, as the video explains, they don't actually give any useful xp/loot/money rewards beside a few chests to lockpick. And you can find those in the open world too, at slightly lower density. If you have to split a dungeon's worth of chests between four people, you might as well go and do something else.

Notice that the guy who did the video only did dungeons because his main quest was bugged. Dungeons exist mostly for fun and for learning TESO's complex battle system, not for any tangible rewards.

Data4

Arcane
Once they fix the glaring mistake that is is the user account showing up with character names, I might be inclined to give it a look. Til then, fuck 'em.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom