Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Mortmal

Arcane
Theres no real gameplay innovation and eso while ok for a month doesnt bring anything new on the table, so no surprises it will sink even faster than warhammer online .I think i would only pay for sandbox MMO now, something closer than eve , whatever the setting.
http://www.darkfallonline.com/ :M

Been playing that at release, the very frist version when they were closing the shop withing 5 min with all the keys sold out. Drove USA guilds out of the game in tears, razed their cities, looting people standing still cause of lag , my bank is packed with heavy armor and mounts.... It never fulfilled its promises, i'd play such game again but done by professionnasl , those greek devs were lying lazy scumbags.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Theres no real gameplay innovation and eso while ok for a month doesnt bring anything new on the table, so no surprises it will sink even faster than warhammer online .I think i would only pay for sandbox MMO now, something closer than eve , whatever the setting.
http://www.darkfallonline.com/ :M

Been playing that at release, the very frist version when they were closing the shop withing 5 min with all the keys sold out. Drove USA guilds out of the game in tears, razed their cities, looting people standing still cause of lag , my bank is packed with heavy armor and mounts.... It never fulfilled its promises, i'd play such game again but done by professionnasl , those greek devs were lying lazy scumbags.
theyre making good since december

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Which will never happen at this rate. They won't have any subscribers left by the end of June.

This is possibly the worst after-launch support I've ever seen in an MMO.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
Which will never happen at this rate. They won't have any subscribers left by the end of June.

This is possibly the worst after-launch support I've ever seen in an MMO.
Who cares at this point. The initial surge bought enough copies of the games to cover the development costs and net a hefty profit, and that's all what this 'game' is about. As long as people continue to spend their money on faux MMOs, faux MMOs will continue to be made.

It is litterally the same every single fucking time. Hype hype hype and a marketing budget like america is voting again and then a barebones scaffold of a game is delivered after 1 to 2 years of 'development' and despite the fact everyone knows MMOs need at least 4-5 years in development, people buy the turd and then start complaining like something unpredictable just happened.

Turjan

Arcane
Who cares at this point. The initial surge bought enough copies of the games to cover the development costs and net a hefty profit, and that's all what this 'game' is about.
I think this has been mentioned already several times in this thread, but it's worth being repeated. It's funny. It's like a legal scam. I wonder how much money they made with this turd.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Told you bros, it was a cash grab. They made enough on 'box' sales to clear a profit. Rest was just gravy.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
With the end of the first sub month, people finally feel liberated in PvP:

Guildwars is in Auriel's Bow one shotting people with 6K+ stampedes atm

His heavy attacks are also 1-shotting.

The guy is also taking down keep walls by himself in about 2 minutes.

Wow, that dude is still not banned? Where is the live support?

Here is my post on the same guy from two days ago. At least 20 people in zone confirmed submitting tickets on him then.

Lemming42

Arcane
I'm not sure if I want this to go F2P or not. The beta felt like my soul was being drained from my body in a glorious exodus of pure boredom and I don't want to revisit it ever, but I know for a fact that if it goes F2P I'll reinstall it like a huge loser and waste hours on it.

Jadeite

Educated
Society is the end all, be all.

It conquers everything.

The Elder Scrolls Online? An outsourced game, designed by a company with no pedigree, who has nothing to do with Bethesda? It will be a hit! They played their cards right.

It is a plain fact that any atrocity, no matter how disreputable, can be orchestrated, if the proper social channels are manipulated.

Quality? Principles? Why bother? A few people, with little interest in games, control the whole gaming industry, through manipulation.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
Society is the end all, be all.

It conquers everything.

The Elder Scrolls Online? An outsourced game, designed by a company with no pedigree, who has nothing to do with Bethesda? It will be a hit! They played their cards right.

It is a plain fact that any atrocity, no matter how disreputable, can be orchestrated, if the proper social channels are manipulated.

Quality? Principles? Why bother? A few people, with little interest in games, control the whole gaming industry, through manipulation.
Now+its+art_40680a_5159616.gif

Modron

Arcane
Well the barbarians were not exactly barbarians at that point anymore...

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now we can have what is RPG Roman discussion. :hero: Personally lost any interest in the game when they showed the Oblibion style Medieval for casuals Cyroddil and BSB Summer-set isles. Got lot fun out of :d1p:crowd though; how much they payed for this turd? 70 Zionbux for box + 20 for fist two months?

Humanophage

Arcane
I had reservations about the game, but I started playing for social reasons because a couple of friends acquired it and they didn't wish to play anything else. Apart from being buggy and very poorly optimised, it doesn't seem inferior to most MMOs. It is about as addictive as other games of the genre that I played, and about as silly.

It's a relatively free-form game for its genre, addressing several annoying issues that I saw in Everquest clones. There are no level limits on quests, so you can go realistically do quests 20 levels above your own if you so desire. Pity that there is still this inane division into areas of different levels, and you are expected to 'complete' them, but it's easy to skip content and pick your own pace. At least you get many skill points from exploration rather than levelling, so two characters of the same level may have vastly different power. There is considerable freedom in customising characters, so your 'sorcerer' may be a tank, and your tank can sneak quite well.

So far, exploration was the most pleasing element. There are few invisible walls, and sometimes the shortcuts are amusing. I liked sneaking around with the added benefit of taking high-level chests. Questing alone or with a friend was also good; though the combat is not challenging unless you take on quests above your level. Considering all the complaints about high difficulty I saw at the forums, I am quite pleased that my melee Nightblade can easily take on bosses alone - I imagine it will change later on. As for balance issues discussed above, I would be quite happy to play a class that is not well-regarded and squeezing something out of it, even if I cannot compete with 'elite' players. The combat system itself is all right for small-scale battles, but gets too hectic elsewhere, especially with the slight lag. Though, frankly, all battles in all MMOs with over 4 people in them looked like a flash bang.

Most of the issues of organisation were well-designed. Say, I'm glad there is no auction house, so you can actually play around with prices. The unified servers are a great thing, even if there is a lack of interaction between players. Too bad they still went with two instead of one. I like the fact that instead of 50 local games, there are just two actual worlds, and they are always densely populated. Unified servers seem like an important requirement if the game is to have a social history, like EVE or Cybernations.

It is a pity that they didn't just make a large Skyrim with many players in it, but had to bring the system more in line with the standards of this benighted genre. TES games always felt like they would make decent MMOs, even if they were bland on their own. But who would have expected serious innovation from an AAA title?

I must say that the reactions to multiplayer games often seem odd. Say, Path of Exile was widely praised, even if its only good aspect was the skill system, while the gameplay was brain-dead. WoW is also well-loved, even though at the time it was a huge step back compared to Ultima Online or SWG. Everquest 2 gets good publicity, while SWTOR gets very bad publicity, even though the gameplay is roughly the same. I suppose it's a good thing that people are getting hostile about this genre that just keeps replicating Everquest for a decade and a half, but it got stale a long time ago, and the disappointed cries appear almost random.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
A special gift from Zenimax to celebrate the 2 month anniversary: TESO is now $29.99 on Amazon, and about €22 at the keyseller of your choice.

This is a particularly great bargain since the PC version can eventually be converted to the console version for 20 bucks extra.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom